Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 03:10 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,720,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Hill View Post
You forgot Guion bluford (First AA in space, the legendary delfonics, a crap load of nba players, Chaka fattah, and Frank Piasecki. Yes those guys are way more famous than those unknown guys you have. Who the hell is Jeremiah wright? All I know is Cosby
If you have to bring up Chaka Fattah of all people, then you know your list of notable alumni has no depth at all.

Central produces people who actually make an impact on the world.

Shunsuke Sato
Daniel and Simon Guggenheim
Alain Locke
Ed Weinberger (co-creator of the Cosby Show)
Ted Kaufman
Noam Chomsky
Louis Kahn
Bill Cosby
Betty Liu
Richard Silverman
Morton Schamberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Central is very impressive but I believe Masterman in Philadelphia is even more selective than Central.
Central is way more diverse than Masterman. More well-rounded curriculum than Masterman with more clubs and activities. Better looking girls than Masterman. Coolest teachers on the planet. And it's just more fun and we have more school pride.

The Ghost of Dribbin - YouTube

The meaning of life: Under and Over Achievers Central High School CBN Abby - YouTube

Old 01-28-2013, 03:33 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
That is one of the most interesting (and best) statistics I've ever seen! Do you have a source for that? I just want to have it handy anytime the subject comes up that to get an education you HAVE to be rich!
It seems like there has been a decline in test scores and programs, but here is information on the school: Watson Williams Elementary receives national award | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Local News

Watson Williams Magnet School

Here is a great article that illustrates your point better: Thomas Sowell - "The Education of Minority Children"

Old 01-28-2013, 05:50 PM

432 posts, read 610,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Central is way more diverse than Masterman. More well-rounded curriculum than Masterman with more clubs and activities. Better looking girls than Masterman. Coolest teachers on the planet. And it's just more fun and we have more school pride.

The Ghost of Dribbin - YouTube

The meaning of life: Under and Over Achievers Central High School CBN Abby - YouTube
Seriously no one gives a living **** about your precious Central High School. The school was considered the perfect school when it wasn't. Central high always got their asses whipped in every sport. Central is overrated. Also its easier to get in the top 10 percent of your class in a school like overbrook than a school like central. No college cares about what school you went to as long as you were in the top 10 percent.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:58 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Seriously no one gives a living **** about your precious Central High School. The school was considered the perfect school when it wasn't. Central high always got their asses whipped in every sport. Central is overrated. Also its easier to get in the top 10 percent of your class in a school like overbrook than a school like central. No college cares about what school you went to as long as you were in the top 10 percent.
But people who graduate in the top 10% of Central will be very well-prepared for university studies. The same can't be said of the top 10% of Overbrookers these days.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
But people who graduate in the top 10% of Central will be very well-prepared for university studies. The same can't be said of the top 10% of Overbrookers these days.
Doesn't matter if your prepared or not. It doesn't matter what school you go to. Its the person you are. Overbrook isn't the better school obviously, but what does it matter if we are talking top 10 percent? If your a top 10% in your class, you should be prepared for college nonetheless.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Doesn't matter if your prepared or not. It doesn't matter what school you go to. Its the person you are. Overbrook isn't the better school obviously, but what does it matter if we are talking top 10 percent? If your a top 10% in your class, you should be prepared for college nonetheless.
Actually, preparedness matters quite a bit, because if you're unprepared, you're far more likely to drop and/or flunk out of college. While I agree that it's silly to split hairs as far as school rankings go (eg, between Central and Masterman), there is a necessary minimum that needs to be met in order to ensure graduating students will have a reasonable chance at succeeding in post-high school academic settings. Sadly, the vast majority of Philadelphia schools fall woefully short.

In an ideal world, being in the top 10% would be enough. Sadly, that's not the case coming from all-too-many inner-city high schools. A friend of mine does pro bono teaching at Overbrook, and the so-called "cream of the crop" kids he teaches are woefully uninterested in learning. It was night and day between there and Central, where he taught last year.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Actually, preparedness matters quite a bit, because if you're unprepared, you're far more likely to drop and/or flunk out of college. While I agree that it's silly to split hairs as far as school rankings go (eg, between Central and Masterman), there is a necessary minimum that needs to be met in order to ensure graduating students will have a reasonable chance at succeeding in post-high school academic settings. Sadly, the vast majority of Philadelphia schools fall woefully short.

In an ideal world, being in the top 10% would be enough. Sadly, that's not the case coming from all-too-many inner-city high schools. A friend of mine does pro bono teaching at Overbrook, and the so-called "cream of the crop" kids he teaches are woefully uninterested in learning. It was night and day between there and Central, where he taught last year.
Hmm I guess you have a point there. However I have to state the fact that the School District Of Philadelphia has step there game up in college prep classes, activities and after school activities for the inner city schools. I known overbrook has college trips and whatnot. my friends daugter goes there. With those 4 things, they might just be as prepared as central kids.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Hmm I guess you have a point there. However I have to state the fact that the School District Of Philadelphia has step there game up in college prep classes, activities and after school activities for the inner city schools. I known overbrook has college trips and whatnot. my friends daugter goes there. With those 4 things, they might just be as prepared as central kids.
Highly motivated self-starters probably end up alright from Overbrook. It's rare to find highly motivated self-starters from any socioeconomic background. Most kids have to be pushed or prodded to at least some degree.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Strong hate, man. Strong hate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City