Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2010, 03:28 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,600,076 times

Advertisements

Oakland should be a lil bit higher in the ranks.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:47 PM

4,745 posts, read 5,571,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol84 View Post
yep! from the little that i've gathered... texas has about 90+ buildings that stand at 400+ ft. while NY has 86 buildings starting at 600+ ft!

I think that Chicago has around 100 buildings that are 500' or higher. So, both New York and Chicago have more skyscrapers than all of Texas combined.

Old 09-25-2010, 03:59 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago South Sider View Post
I think that Chicago has around 100 buildings that are 500' or higher. So, both New York and Chicago have more skyscrapers than all of Texas combined.
I think both Chicago and NY have more skyscrapers than any state in the US. It's not even funny.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:20 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Tallest Buildings
List of tallest buildings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC
List of tallest buildings in New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chicago
List of tallest buildings in Chicago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Texas
List of tallest buildings in Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Miami
List of tallest buildings in Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pennsylvania (combined Pittsburgh and Philly not bad for a state maybe only behind NY, IL, CA and TX and maybe FL
List of tallest buildings in Pittsburgh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of tallest buildings in Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Just a note approved one over 1500ft, and 7 proposed or approved over 500 ft) - oddly or not oddly the 6 most populous states

Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Tallest Buildings
List of tallest buildings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NYC

Chicago

Texas

Miami

Pennsylvania (combined Pittsburgh and Philly not bad for a state maybe only behind NY, IL, CA and TX and maybe FL
List of tallest buildings in Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Just a note approved one over 1500ft, and 7 proposed or approved over 500 ft) - oddly or not oddly the 6 most populous states
wow, I thought Miami had taller buildings.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,869,259 times
Quote:
Tallest Buildings

NYC

Chicago

Texas

Miami

The link on Texas is not accurate though.... there are about 10 more 600+ ft buildings in Texas than just 4. It's likely that the listings aren't accurate on any of those other links either. It's best to go to the List of Tallest buildings by city instead of state.

By the way do you have any renderings of the 1,500 footer for Philadelphia?

Last edited by migol84; 09-25-2010 at 05:08 PM..

Old 09-25-2010, 04:55 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,991,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
wow, I thought Miami had taller buildings.
Nope

Much, much shorter than Houston.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
You're close but in terms of numbers of total high rises they rank like this.

NYC
Chicago
Miami
Houston
Los Angeles
Dallas
Atlanta
San Francisco
Boston
Las Vegas
Seattle
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Jersey City
Minneapolis
Denver
Detroit

I think a lot in what people notice the most is the way that the buildings are geographically set and the skyline's architectural design. That can easily confuse our perceptions of how big skylines actually are.

But to be honest, I prefer architectural design over size, although a massive skyline never fails to impress me. My favorite skyline in North America is Vancouver, hands down!
Miami has more buildings & density to its skyline, but Houston is waaay taller on average. Houston has the most buildings over 400' tall than any other city.

If all of Houston's skylines were lined up together it would form America's 3rd largest & tallest skyline. There are some skyline shots of Houston where you can actually see this illusion off in the distance. I swear it looks just like NYC or Chicago.

Old 09-25-2010, 04:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Quote:
You're close but in terms of numbers of total high rises they rank like this.

NYC
Chicago
Miami
Houston
Los Angeles
Dallas
Atlanta
San Francisco
Boston
Las Vegas
Seattle
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Jersey City
Minneapolis
Denver
Detroit

I think a lot in what people notice the most is the way that the buildings are geographically set and the skyline's architectural design. That can easily confuse our perceptions of how big skylines actually are.

But to be honest, I prefer architectural design over size, although a massive skyline never fails to impress me. My favorite skyline in North America is Vancouver, hands down!
Just curious what is actually considered a highrise?

Old 09-25-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Just curious what is actually considered a highrise?
Anything over 10-12 stories in height & actually it can be broken down even further...low rise, mid rise, high rise, & super tall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City