Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 08:43 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Advertisements

16....I'm sorry but Pittsburgh easily fits into the TOP 10 no question...

Old 05-24-2010, 10:30 PM

840 posts, read 2,086,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
16....I'm sorry but Pittsburgh easily fits into the TOP 10 no question...

Since my computer at work would not allow me to see any of them I guess it doesnt and belongs in the top ten.

Just joking Pitts is my 3rd favorite skyline after NYC and ATL

Old 05-25-2010, 02:02 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
My top 10 list is based on the following criteria...

1. Density -- When I think of the biggest cities, I think of dense skyscraper infill.
2. Placement -- I like symmetry. I don't like large gaps or buildings that stick out like sore thumbs.
3. Height variance -- A bunch of buildings that all seem to be roughly the same height seems dull to me.
4. Diverse architecture -- I like old skyscrapers next to new skyscrapers. I don't like all old or all new.
5. Contrasting colors -- Different colors add variety and make a skyline more interesting.
6. Size relative to population -- If you're a big city, you better have a lot of buildings.

Judging by this criteria, here's my top 10 list...

1. Chicago, IL -- Its tallest buildings are central, and there's a great variety of color and architecture. The city that built the first modern skyscraper has perfected its craft.

2. New York, NY -- Its skyline is overwhelmingly large -- almost too large -- but it doesn't have as much variety as it should, and it looks drab compared to Chicago's.

3. Pittsburgh, PA -- The symmetry is damn near perfect, and like Chicago, there's a wide variety of color and architecture. It's very impressive for a city its size.

4. Seattle, WA -- An iconic skyline with plenty of color and height variance, but slightly lacking in architectural diversity. Like Pittsburgh, its skyline is large for a city its size.

5. Houston, TX -- Very modern and colorful, but lacking in variety, and without much symmetry. The size of its skyline seems to be just right.

6. Philadelphia, PA -- This has to be the most improved skyline of the last 25 years. Its signature buildings are impressive, and there's plenty of variety, but like New York, not enough color.

7. Dallas, TX -- Dallas manages to be a mostly modern skyline that still has diverse architecture. That alone is impressive. There's also plenty of color to it -- even at night!

8. Atlanta, GA -- Like Dallas, it's both modern and diverse, but what hurts it is the lack of symmetry -- there are lots of large gaps between its signature towers.

9. Minneapolis, MN -- Modern with unique architecture, and it's the right size for the city, but it just doesn't seem colorful enough for a modern skyline.

10. Miami, FL -- Impressive for its size, and with plenty of color, but there's just not enough architectural diversity or height variance.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:05 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Default I know it's an old post but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Jersey City is included in NYC, but then the OP separates Guttenberg from JC?
I can tell you have no first hand knowledge of the area.
I don't think that list originated from the OP. I've seen other lists like it much like this one:

The World's Best Skylines

Old 05-25-2010, 12:44 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

8. Atlanta, GA -- Like Dallas, it's both modern and diverse, but what hurts it is the lack of symmetry -- there are lots of large gaps between its signature towers.
You do realize that the "gaps" have shorter buildings in them that aren't visible in the skyline photos? You would only know this if you had experienced Atlanta from the streets, not from photos. There are "gaps" between some of the very tallest buildings (like in any other cities) but they don't consist of blank space - there is all kinds of development in those "gaps", and much of it is mid-rise.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:30 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,888,805 times
How did Kansas City, Kansas make the top 50. I wouldn't think that city would make the top 100. Overland Park, Kansas has a bigger skyline than KCK.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:01 PM

132 posts, read 390,574 times
memphis is way to low

Old 06-04-2010, 10:06 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
You do realize that the "gaps" have shorter buildings in them that aren't visible in the skyline photos? You would only know this if you had experienced Atlanta from the streets, not from photos. There are "gaps" between some of the very tallest buildings (like in any other cities) but they don't consist of blank space - there is all kinds of development in those "gaps", and much of it is mid-rise.
I know what you mean, and they are usually called "hidden gems".

Old 06-04-2010, 10:10 PM

1,416 posts, read 3,211,998 times
My top 10

L.A.
Chicago
Houston
Miami
Philadelphia
Atlanta
Seattle
Minneapolis
Charlotte
Dallas

Old 06-04-2010, 10:13 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,186,790 times
Lmao FLABoyJ, you really have a thing about New York huh? I know it's just your opinion, but seriously to NOT include Manhattan's skyline anywhere in a top 10 US Skylines list is kind've weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City