Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 08:04 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
^^
All of those photos are correct.
However, unless you have lots of money to spend to live on the hilly west side, or central, you'll be seeing a lot more of the freeway traffic scenes, strip-malls, etc than you might think. The things people usually knock the other Texas cities on -- sprawl, strip malls, car-centric, conservative (gasp!) cookie-cutter suburbs, traffic, intense summer heat -- Austin has all this too.

There has been a terrible drought recently, the lake is really low, and things aren't as green. I suspect those nicer photos were not taken recently.

As far as the comparison to Raleigh... I don't know because I've never been to Raleigh. Sorry. But, I have lived in Austin and think it's a great college town, but a little overrated aside from that.

This was posted in the Austin forum... things were getting crazy, developers building super expensive housing, now a few of the developments are in foreclosure... people are worried about the overpriced condos in downtown as well... Austin probably had more of a "bubble" than the rest of Texas.
Two area real estate projects in financial trouble - Austin Business Journal:
If he's going into IT, I don't think West Austin is going to be all that unreasonable. With companies like Dell, Intel, Motorola, and Zebra Imaging, you have a lot high paying tech jobs in Austin. That sucks to hear about real estate bubble. Hopefully, that's baste more on pessimism and economic fear than reality. Although I can see your point of few of Austin being over rated an of an over grown college town (because we've discussed this many times), but you have to admit, it is a great town for techies. IT has really become the major industry in Austin (well maybe behind entrainment/media), so naturally the city caters to people in that profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2010, 08:52 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,190,423 times
On a general note, you guys really need to do a little more elaboration on why you pick Austin. The OP mentioned he/she was from Italy, so there some general information that most Americans know but he/she probably doesn't. Just saying Austin is a better city or has a better culture isn't very helpfully if you only give a very vague explanation, especially since he's from another continent and brings very little knowledge about either city to the table.

In a case for Austin, as I mentioned in the earlier post, the IT industry either the first or second biggest employer in the city. The city is the headquarters of one of the largest computer companies in the world, Dell based out of Austin as well as some very innovative and "up-and-coming" companies like Zebra Printing (check out
this video if you've never heard of Zebra Printing they're a really cool company who's developed a way to print 3D holographic images onto paper based on drawings and surveys). Also, companies like Intel and Motorola have some of their largest plants in the country located in Austin.

As far as the cultural of Austin, it's very much centered around it's very reputable and expanding creative class, particularly the cities music scene. The city has been nicknamed "The Live Music Capital of the World" because it has more music venues per capita then any city in the world... or something like that. You also have South by Southwest, which is an annual film, music, and interactive (which is basically a large IT/techy/web junkie conference), and it's a HUGE deal in all three of those industries, although the music is the most reputable and attracts the most tourist of the three. In addition, you also have Austin City Limits (the TV show and the music festival), Austin Film Fest, Fun Fun Fun Fest, and many many other music and film fest that take place through out the year. Of course, you also have a very lively downtown which pretty much the center of the night life in the city. The most famous street is 6th Street which is basically a two mile stretch of nothing but bars, clubs, music venues, restaurants, shops, etc. At any rate, there's lots more to tell, but that's basically the Austin cultural appeal in an nutshell and it will give you some stuff to google later on.

IMO, Austin is really one of the countries best kept secrets. You really should try and make a visit sometime. I'm sure it's quite different from Italy, but everyone I've talked to from abroad, or even just outside of Texas, seems to have really liked their experience in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City