Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area is acceptable for IRR?
Western United States 29 58.00%
Southern United States 6 12.00%
Midwestern United States 1 2.00%
Northeastern United States 14 28.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2022, 07:45 PM

35,059 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think this is definitely true. I get the feeling for many groups like New York Jewish, Boston Irish, and New Jersey Italians, socially someone not only has to be white, but specifically Jewish, Irish, or Italian to be accepted.
I am New York Jewish. For a long time my very small law firm had the only female, Jamaican equity partner who was not Jewish. My current firm of around 60 lawyers is mostly Jewish but has a pretty good sampling of all ethnic groups. Granted, Hasidim are a different story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2022, 07:50 PM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
I think this is definitely true. I get the feeling for many groups like New York Jewish, Boston Irish, and New Jersey Italians, socially someone not only has to be white, but specifically Jewish, Irish, or Italian to be accepted. Immigrant groups in the Northeast also tend to hold on to their ethnic feuds from the old country more so than in other parts of the nation, like with how many Boston Irish still hate the English, Jews vs Arabs, etc. Do we really think a typical New York Jewish person who is a Zionist will be okay with their kid marrying a Muslim ,or that a Boston Irish who donates money to the IRA will be okay with marrying a white Protestant person? Black throughout the country are largely self-segregated but I think its more of a cultural than a racial thing.

I'm in the Deep South and blacks are often self segregated, but assimilated Asians and assimilated Hispanics are very accepted though and I don't see any barriers. If someone is illegal or doesn't speak English fluently, people may wonder about this person, if they're here legally, if they're dating someone to get a green card etc but in normal circumstances no. I'm of Asian descent and it has not been a barrier to me at all. Religion is also important here, more so than race. I mean I personally would not marry someone who is not Christian and would not allow my children to be raised in another religion or without religion.
This is somewhat over exaggerated, as it also depends on how assimilated said people are. You may also see quite a few people that are say of an Irish and Italian background in the Northeast or a mix of other relatively prominent ethnic groups in the region.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:34 PM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
I've seen Italian guys/Black women, Italian Guys/Puerto Rican women and vice versa in the NYC Tri-State area. There may be some softening here, but common things about love for family, culture (music, food), and certain sense of duty and swagger brings folks together in the Northeast. It has a strong regional identity like the South (albeit very different of course).

Old 01-30-2022, 08:52 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
I think this is definitely true. I get the feeling for many groups like New York Jewish, Boston Irish, and New Jersey Italians, socially someone not only has to be white, but specifically Jewish, Irish, or Italian to be accepted. Immigrant groups in the Northeast also tend to hold on to their ethnic feuds from the old country more so than in other parts of the nation, like with how many Boston Irish still hate the English, Jews vs Arabs, etc. Do we really think a typical New York Jewish person who is a Zionist will be okay with their kid marrying a Muslim ,or that a Boston Irish who donates money to the IRA will be okay with marrying a white Protestant person? Black throughout the country are largely self-segregated but I think its more of a cultural than a racial thing.

I'm in the Deep South and blacks are often self segregated, but assimilated Asians and assimilated Hispanics are very accepted though and I don't see any barriers. If someone is illegal or doesn't speak English fluently, people may wonder about this person, if they're here legally, if they're dating someone to get a green card etc but in normal circumstances no. I'm of Asian descent and it has not been a barrier to me at all. Religion is also important here, more so than race. I mean I personally would not marry someone who is not Christian and would not allow my children to be raised in another religion or without religion.
Your NE ethnic synopsis is probably 20 years to late. Even the Jewish are venturing out more than you think.

And there are so many non practicing Christian’s and Jews, that outside the mega church south, it’s not so much of a big issue any longer.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:03 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:

Do people really think like this? Has not been my experience at all.

Old 01-30-2022, 09:17 PM

16,697 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:

Are you getting this from pre-1990 movies and TV shows?

Old 01-31-2022, 12:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Are you getting this from pre-1990 movies and TV shows?
Well some from TV but also from people who have traveled to the Northeast. One thing that shocked me, I was talking to a British person when I was living in West Virginia but this guy had traveled to many parts of the U.S., and mentioned that in Boston, he went to a bar with a mostly Irish Catholic clientele and when they heard his British accent they were openly hostile and told him that he wasn't welcome there, how they didn't like English people and how one day Northern Ireland will no longer be part of the UK. Now these are Irish Americans who have been in Boston for many generations, not recent immigrants. This was about 5 years ago. He mentioned in the actual country of Ireland this kind of open hostility was actually far less common. I highly doubt the people in this bar would be happy about their kid marrying someone of English descent or anyone who is not Catholic.

I remember watching an old show called Jersey Shore years ago which was about New York Italian culture. Many of the cast were Italian Americans who have been in NY and NJ for generations and many were openly talking about how they were specifically looking for an Italian girlfriend, spouse, etc. People of Irish and Italian descent here in Louisiana are not like this. I've also told actual Italy is much more open and welcoming than Italian communities in the Northeast.

Old 01-31-2022, 05:50 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Well some from TV but also from people who have traveled to the Northeast. One thing that shocked me, I was talking to a British person when I was living in West Virginia but this guy had traveled to many parts of the U.S., and mentioned that in Boston, he went to a bar with a mostly Irish Catholic clientele and when they heard his British accent they were openly hostile and told him that he wasn't welcome there, how they didn't like English people and how one day Northern Ireland will no longer be part of the UK. Now these are Irish Americans who have been in Boston for many generations, not recent immigrants. This was about 5 years ago. He mentioned in the actual country of Ireland this kind of open hostility was actually far less common. I highly doubt the people in this bar would be happy about their kid marrying someone of English descent or anyone who is not Catholic.

I remember watching an old show called Jersey Shore years ago which was about New York Italian culture. Many of the cast were Italian Americans who have been in NY and NJ for generations and many were openly talking about how they were specifically looking for an Italian girlfriend, spouse, etc. People of Irish and Italian descent here in Louisiana are not like this. I've also told actual Italy is much more open and welcoming than Italian communities in the Northeast.
The irony of that show is that one of the cast members is half Puerto Rican, one I believe wasn’t even Italian and another I believe has a black girlfriend. So, even that is overblown.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:44 AM

809 posts, read 468,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The irony of that show is that one of the cast members is half Puerto Rican, one I believe wasn’t even Italian and another I believe has a black girlfriend. So, even that is overblown.
Yes - this plus the huge influence of NY Black/Puerto Rican culture on three of the main male cast members.

Old 01-31-2022, 09:56 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,552,972 times
I would say west, but I don't think that matters as much anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City