Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
The Bronx has twice the population of DC. Again, NYC spokesperson?
You are missing the point. Why would someone in Midtown need to go up to the bronx?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 08:31 PM

1,750 posts, read 3,390,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Traffic isn't bad downtown? You must not be out in rush hour. So where do you park? That's very suburban thinking wanting to drive but to each his own. Walking on the streets down urban canyons is the city lifestyle. Parking hidden underground and a cap on grass and trees with sidewalks for miles is an urban playground.
I drive exclusively during morning and evening rush, traffic isn't bad. Walk around the rest of day, don't recall saying I didn't walk around the city, I don't take metro.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Traffic isn't bad downtown? You must not be out in rush hour. So where do you park? That's very suburban thinking wanting to drive but to each his own. Walking on the streets down urban canyons is the city lifestyle. Parking hidden underground and a cap on grass and trees with sidewalks for miles is an urban playground.
Quote:
You are missing the point. Why would someone in Midtown need to go up to the bronx?
The downtown bound 6 train is packed in the morning, I used to get on it on the UES, thousands of People from the Bronx commute to midtown. You are unfamiliar with NYC it sounds like.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I drive exclusively during morning and evening rush, traffic isn't bad. Walk around the rest of day, don't recall saying I didn't walk around the city, I don't take metro.
Traffic downtown is horrible. I don't know what you are talking about. Mass. Ave. is a virtual parking lot.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
The downtown bound 6 train is packed in the morning, I used to get on it on the UES, thousands of People from the Bronx commute to midtown. You are unfamiliar with NYC it sounds like.
LOL....I will try again. Why would someone living in Midtown need to commute north out of Manhattan into the Bronx which is the only reason someone would feel uncomfortable? Every line in Manhattan has all types of people and none of the lines in Manhattan are full of only low income people.

You said people on the 6 in the bronx. Why are you talking about the 6 in Manhattan. The 6 crowd changes to a mixed crowd when riding in Manhattan. What are you talking about?

Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Traffic downtown is horrible. I don't know what you are talking about. Mass. Ave. is a virtual parking lot.
No it isn't. I drive Wisconsin to mass to DuPont everyday.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
LOL....I will try again. Why would someone living in Midtown need to commute north out of Manhattan into the Bronx which is the only reason someone would feel uncomfortable? Every line in Manhattan has all types of people and none of the lines in Manhattan are full of only low income people.

You said people on the 6 in the bronx. Why are you talking about the 6 in Manhattan. The 6 crowd changes to a mixed crowd when riding in Manhattan. What are you talking about?
You didn't say living in midtown, but somebody working in
midtown may need to go to the Bronx. The 6 train from the bronx are typically packed by the time they get to manhattan during rush.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
No it isn't. I drive Wisconsin to mass to DuPont everyday.
Try Mass to New York Ave. Convention Center area.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
You didn't say living in midtown, but somebody working in
midtown may need to go to the Bronx. The 6 train from the bronx are typically packed by the time they get to manhattan during rush.
The only reason we are talking about this is because you implied trains aren't mixed in places like the Bronx much like places through Southeast D.C. by the way. My response to that was why would someone need to travel through those area's that lives in the core? If you live in Southeast D.C. or the Bronx, then you shouldn't feel uncomfortable anyway. When I talked about mixed crowds and everyone taking the train in NYC and D.C., I was talking about the main core of D.C. and NYC. Those area's of both cities have a mix of people on the train an nobody associates it with low income. That is where we stand with this discussion.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:02 AM

Quote:
The only reason we are talking about this is because you implied trains aren't mixed in places like the Bronx much like places through Southeast D.C. by the way. My response to that was why would someone need to travel through those area's that lives in the core? If you live in Southeast D.C. or the Bronx, then you shouldn't feel uncomfortable anyway. When I talked about mixed crowds and everyone taking the train in NYC and D.C., I was talking about the main core of D.C. and NYC. Those area's of both cities have a mix of people on the train an nobody associates it with low income. That is where we stand with this discussion.
Your initial statement was "everybody in NYC and DC takes the train and it's not considered low income". Last I checked, not everybody latkes the trai , and secondly the Bronx is part of NYC., and has a lot of low income train riders. Your statements are ignorant and generalizations.

Chicago has a high bus ridership because the EL does not cover the neighborhoods along the lake, which are some of the wealthiest in Chicago and the densest outside NYC. You clearly have no idea what your talking about, as if you rode one of the express busses in Chicago, you would see they are almost exclusively filled with professionals.
You seem to be implying poor people choose to ride the bus and wealthy, educated people choose To ride the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City