Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 11:00 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAReastcoast View Post
much of DC is also single family homes. Again, not only have I been there, I am a part time resident. Im actually at the Petes New Haven Pizza in Clearondon right now, come on by!
I think you are funny. Much of DC is rowhouses. DC's largest neighborhood by land area is Capitol Hill. It is all rowhouses. DC's second largest neighborhood is Petworth. It has 85% rowhouses. DC's third largest neighborhood is Georgetown. It has what? Take a guess? ROWHOUSES. DC'S fourth largest neighborhood is Shaw. It was what? ROWHOUSES. I can keep going. Even Tenley and Friendship Heights have some semi detached rowhouses. There are ver few hoods in DC that are single family, mostly west of Wisconsin ave. Much of Northeast is rowhouses except for small areas around Kenilworth/Deanwood. Much of southeast is apartments, rowhouses and single family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I havent seen anyone say it isnt urban, just many (and more based on this poll) believe Boston to be more urban.

on parking DC goes underground for the same reason they dont build 50 story buildings, this logic is silly

Is a 40 story building that sits on top of 10 story parking garage with street level retail less urban than a 14 story office building with underground parking?

Is this not urban because it Doesnt have underground parking?
philadelphia pa - Google Maps

I never truly understand this logic. And yes there are surface lots in DC (though probably fewer these days than most DTs) and do agree that surface lots are ugly
Show me a lot not under construction or about to be under construction within the next year in near Downtown D.C. Be careful because Im in urban planning and I know a TON about what is happening here. The only places with lots that aren't being built on are around the capitol building for obvious reasons.

14,485 posts, read 11,295,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
You need to show me some proof? A link or something. I already gave you some mathematical reasoning why DC has more structures DT in a larger footprint. This is comical.
I know you'll have some lame mathematical answer but here ya' go anyway:

As you can see the Boston area has 7 incorporated municipalities listed on this list of most dense areas. DC has one.

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I havent seen anyone say it isnt urban, just many (and more based on this poll) believe Boston to be more urban.

on parking DC goes underground for the same reason they dont build 50 story buildings, this logic is silly

Is a 40 story building that sits on top of 10 story parking garage with street level retail less urban than a 14 story office building with underground parking?

Is this not urban because it Doesnt have underground parking?
philadelphia pa - Google Maps

I never truly understand this logic. And yes there are surface lots in DC (though probably fewer these days than most DTs) and do agree that surface lots are ugly
Yes it takes away from the urbanity.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I know you'll have some lame mathematical answer but here ya' go anyway:

As you can see the Boston area has 7 incorporated municipalities listed on this list of most dense areas. DC has one.

List of United States cities by population density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I never ever argued that DC is more dense than Boston from a population standpoint. I am talking about structural density DT.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,780,745 times
Quote:
And agree to a point it is cherry picked, but not the gas staions, single floor strip malls, set back apts etc. which ARE very prevelant in this area, I lived not far from here for a while and am very familiar with the area

but you do 20 feet off of either of these in many many many areas. That doesnt mean they are not nice, some are great areas to live but niether of these streets in this corrider represent any form close to extreme urbanity; in fact much moreso resemble inner burb type areas.
Joe Mamo who owns over half the gas stations in D.C. is going to develop most of them adding to the urbanity of D.C. even more. So we have the gas station problem solved too....next.....

Joe Mamo, D.C.'s Gas-Station Master: Meet the guy who owns half of D.C.'s filling stations - Washington City Paper

Old 10-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
And more people walk to work in Boston, again what is the point, both have a substantial and very well used PT system
Parking spots in DC are plentiful! LOL WTF ever. Kid, these are the types of past that people should be banned for life. I know you didn't post it but I'm just saying.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Notice how these people don't post any facts ever lol.....It's all my friend, or this one time, I observed...lol

No evidence other than opinion which isn't worth anything. It's comical and you can tell they have never been in a real academic debate which requires facts for every argument made. Hard evidence!

That's why they have not responded to the FACTS I posted about highrises. It quieted the whole crowd lol!!!!
quited the crowd?

ok why dont you post facts of buildings over 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 700 etc.

Here is one for you, why is DCs population density half of Boston? why do less people live DT when compared to Boston, one would expect it would have nearly double the volume since it has the larger footprint.

On the cities mode of transpo is very similar actually

[LEFT]

https://www.city-data.com/city/Boston-Massachusetts.html

[LEFT]
https://www.city-data.com/city/Washin...-Columbia.html[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

Old 10-19-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Parking spots in DC are plentiful! LOL WTF ever. Kid, these are the types of past that people should be banned for life. I know you didn't post it but I'm just saying.

My experience is that parking is far easier in DT DC when compared to Boston

Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM

Quote:
I never ever argued that DC is more dense than Boston from a population standpoint. I am talking about structural density DT.

and where do these people live, in non-structures, they must all be in tents at occupy Boston or something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City