Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,250,335 times

Advertisements

I don't know I voted for Boston despite never visiting there because it just seems a little more gritty than DC on tv and the Bostonians that I've met are more outspoken. I know that's stupid but hey I'm being honest. At the same time I really like DC. The nice parts are really nice and I just avoid the not so nice parts. They're very easy to avoid in DC. Maybe that's part of the elitist attitude that some in DC have. Poverty is so out of sight out of mind except for a few random homeless people.

As far as being more urban. It doesn't really matter. I can't speak for Boston but DC is very very urban. DC is living proof that cities don't NEED skyscrapers. Go to Georgetown or Adams Morgan on a Friday night and tell me that ain't the big city.

People always wanna act like DC is so small because of the lack of skyline and that's just silly. I shouldn't but I do get a little irritated with those folks even if they're being nice. "I love DC it's such a quaint little town." Really? Since when were sky high prices, crowded subways and traffic jams quaint?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesBloodAxe View Post
Very few random homeless people in DC? Are you kidding? They are everywhere. Literally sleeping on the sidewalks infront of the tourist attractions and all over the Mall. They are all around in downtown DC, in Union Station.

Poverty is hardly out of sight in DC unless one is blind.
I didn't say there were absolutely no homeless in DC or even very few. Maybe I'm not as bothered by homeless people as you are, they're part of being in any big city and they're in the suburbs too. So with me not being bothered I don't feel that the homeless problem is any worse than any major city.

That isn't to say that I don't care if someone is homeless. I'm just not as disgusted as some people are. Sometimes I'll give some money but I make a rule to never give anything to anyone that comes up to cars at red lights. Did that and immediately regretted the woman wouldn't let me go until I gave her three or four more bucks. I couldn't drive away without running over her foot and she knew that, then of course I'm in definite trouble.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:16 AM

259 posts, read 455,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I didn't say there were absolutely no homeless in DC or even very few. Maybe I'm not as bothered by homeless people as you are, they're part of being in any big city and they're in the suburbs too. So with me not being bothered I don't feel that the homeless problem is any worse than any major city.

That isn't to say that I don't care if someone is homeless. I'm just not as disgusted as some people are. Sometimes I'll give some money but I make a rule to never give anything to anyone that comes up to cars at red lights. Did that and immediately regretted the woman wouldn't let me go until I gave her three or four more bucks. I couldn't drive away without running over her foot and she knew that, then of course I'm in definite trouble.

Did I write that I was bothered by homeless people?

You did write:

" Poverty is so out of sight out of mind except for a few random homeless people."

Poverty is hardly out of sight in DC.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Did I write that I was bothered by homeless people?

You did write:

" Poverty is so out of sight out of mind except for a few random homeless people."

Poverty is hardly out of sight in DC.
Well I see what you're saying. I really do. At the same time on a day to day basis people in DC don't really interact with people of different socioeconomic classes as much as other cities. Now there could certainly be arguments against that but I still stand by statement.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:30 AM

259 posts, read 455,685 times
Quote:
Well I see what you're saying. I really do. At the same time on a day to day basis people in DC don't really interact with people of different socioeconomic classes as much as other cities. Now there could certainly be arguments against that but I still stand by statement.

I would have to disagree with you on that as DC has a very open job market and there are plenty of poor and lower income people working with the more affluent and middle class at many companies and particularly government agencies in the DC area. Folks ride public transportation together, the HOV buses, they meet at slug lines. Metro doesnt have a VIP car as far as I know and neither does the MARC or VRE, everyone rides together.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I would have to disagree with you on that as DC has a very open job market and there are plenty of poor and lower income people working with the more affluent and middle class at many companies and particularly government agencies in the DC area. Folks ride public transportation together, the HOV buses, they meet at slug lines. Metro doesnt have a VIP car as far as I know and neither does the MARC or VRE, everyone rides together.
I'll give you the public transportation. I guess I forgot about that since I don't ride the metro everyday.

The job market thing I don't know the only poor folks working with affluent people are those in the service industry. So they're more or less working for the affluent not with. I definitely don't see it at my job. The only "lower paid" employee at my job is the receptionist and she's a retired government worker so while her income is less than mine she's still got her retirement so not exactly poor.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:12 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,011,807 times
People always act like if others don't think DC is as urban as Boston, then that's only because DC doesn't have a skyline, and that's just silly. If this is really a skyline competition, do you think there is any need for comparison? The thread is brought out because somebody thinks they are comparable. And people are really looking into the neighborhoods and posting pictures of street views. I don't see anyone who says DC is not urban because it doesn't have a skyline. It is only your own assumption. If you create a thread comparing DC and Atlanta about which is more urban, I bet DC will win by a large margin though Atlanta has a much bigger skyline. People on this website generally do a good job in separating things apart, though some do have stereotypes.

Quote:
People always wanna act like DC is so small because of the lack of skyline and that's just silly.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:18 AM

98 posts, read 285,190 times
Which city is more urban? This is a difficult question. I love both cities. And being familiar with both, I think they are just about the same in how "urban" they arey. I love them both for the same reasons.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM

6,963 posts, read 20,548,874 times
^^ true. it almost seems like people assume that DC is just the mall w/monuments & galleries based on what they see on CNN and TV shows.

i used to frequently visit a buddy who lived in a highrise on connecticut avenue. also my sis-in law lived for a while in the GWU area. that's a pretty urban city with all that comes along with it. lots of sketchiness on conn avenue. we had a great view from his apt watching all of the "pros" walking the streets at night. too funny.

and now it seems like the SE has really picked up as well. tons of packed restaurants and bars.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:33 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,195,469 times
The core density of Boston is surpassed only by European cities,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City