Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more urban?
Boston 72 63.72%
DC 41 36.28%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:34 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,961,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Great! Let's see what you've got!

And he taps out ladies and gentlemen! The race card has been pulled! This one was over before it started!

Can We All Just Get Along? For The Kids & Old People? RODNEY KING SPEAKS! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 06:47 AM

1,223 posts, read 2,268,400 times
Hey these DC folks need help. Numbers help but are not then end all be all (I know MD said that but...well...he said many a questionable statement). Miami has a 11K per square mile density, only slightly less than Boston. It is about 75% the size of Boston with less land allocate to parks (Boston is 75% of DC with less land allocated to parks) do you truly think that this is truly a reflection of what feels more urban in reality?

SN: Please no DC boosters co-sign. I am not out to say that DC is more urban, I just think that it is close.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeman804 View Post
Hey these DC folks need help. Numbers help but are not then end all be all (I know MD said that but...well...he said many a questionable statement). Miami has a 11K per square mile density, only slightly less than Boston. It is about 75% the size of Boston with less land allocate to parks (Boston is 75% of DC with less land allocated to parks) do you truly think that this is truly a reflection of what feels more urban in reality?

SN: Please no DC boosters co-sign. I am not out to say that DC is more urban, I just think that it is close.

Personally while I feel DC is definately urban, it does not feel as urban as Boston in the city. Also adding Cambridge (a more urban extension than any in DC) it also feels like a larger city/urban footprint. street by street there will be differences but in the core Boston looks and feels more urban and is developed with a higher compression. DC to me only feels less urban in the core/city than NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, SF and maybe LA (also the core of Baltimore in some ways does and in some ways doesnt) So to me there is really only a handful of cities that feel moreso. To me DC feels more urban than Miami regardless of population density.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:03 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,168,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
And what about all of the colleges in Boston? There are more colleges in Boston proper than there are in the Baltimore-Washington CSA. And one of the reasons DC's population density is so low is because Southeast DC has areas that could pass for Sumter, South Carolina. A lot of Washington, DC is really country. That's why there are so many BBQ Ribs shacks and fried fish joints like Horace & Dickie's. You guys sure do love your catfish!
You are such an off brand dude that it is amazing.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Just face it. DC is inferior to Boston. Living in Georgetown or Foxhall is not nearly as prestigious as living in Beacon Hill. DC has some "okay" schools, but nothing like Harvard or MIT. GWU is a poor man's Ivy. DC has some "okay" architecture, but nothing like the brownstones of Back Bay and the South End. DC tries to replicate Boston's character, but it feels forced and sterile. It's like me saying, "Hey, let's be best friends!" DC has nothing that can ever compare to the North End, Southie, Eastie, Charlestown or the JP. I can understand why this thread has got you so upset. I'd be upset too if my hometown were so clearly inferior to another city not called New York. With a little work (i.e., clearing out the rib shacks, getting old ladies to get rid of their chicken coops in SE), Washington, DC will be on its way!
The most idiotic post of the day. More people across the globe know Georgetown before Beacon Hill. We can pull a list of famous people that reside in both?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
And what about all of the colleges in Boston? There are more colleges in Boston proper than there are in the Baltimore-Washington CSA. And one of the reasons DC's population density is so low is because Southeast DC has areas that could pass for Sumter, South Carolina. A lot of Washington, DC is really country. That's why there are so many BBQ Ribs shacks and fried fish joints like Horace & Dickie's. You guys sure do love your catfish!

Hmmmm! There are a lot of soul food spots in Philly, Chicago and Detroit. I bet there are more shacks in the Carribbean too. Btw: When will they get running water?

Old 10-20-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Personally while I feel DC is definately urban, it does not feel as urban as Boston in the city. Also adding Cambridge (a more urban extension than any in DC) it also feels like a larger city/urban footprint. street by street there will be differences but in the core Boston looks and feels more urban and is developed with a higher compression. DC to me only feels less urban in the core/city than NYC, Boston, Chicago, Philly, SF and maybe LA (also the core of Baltimore in some ways does and in some ways doesnt) So to me there is really only a handful of cities that feel moreso. To me DC feels more urban than Miami regardless of population density.
Statements like these are very confusing. What's less urban about a neighborhood like Georgetown compared to say Back Bay? Enlighten me? I think you have skewed view of what urban means to you. It's that simple.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Statements like these are very confusing. What's less urban about a neighborhood like Georgetown compared to say Back Bay? Enlighten me? I think you have skewed view of what urban means to you. It's that simple.

Georgetown is urban, but honestly have you spent time in both, One the Back Bay is more dense, also it has better PT is less linear and more expansive. It also feels a little less generic these days. GT has been over run by national chains, a turn for the worst IMHO. But seriously for GT - there are far more urban areas of DC that would better be placed against the BB in this regard.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:17 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,129,655 times
Philly.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:41 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,469,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Georgetown is urban, but honestly have you spent time in both, One the Back Bay is more dense, also it has better PT is less linear and more expansive. It also feels a little less generic these days. GT has been over run by national chains, a turn for the worst IMHO. But seriously for GT - there are far more urban areas of DC that would better be placed against the BB in this regard.
Even though I'd say Back Bay is more urban, I think they're pretty close. I think Georgetown is a fantastic neighborhood...though I agree there are a lot of chains. There are a boatload of chains throughout DC actually. Not to say they aren't in Boston too, but there appeared to be an overwhelming amount of national chains there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City