Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city is more urban? Boston or San Francisco
Boston 152 49.35%
San Francisco 156 50.65%
Voters: 308. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 08:26 AM

457 posts, read 1,109,896 times

Advertisements

I am actually a little surprised at the voting at these threads. DC and SF was close, but DC and Boston was a blow out? IMO, it should have been the other way around.

SF has another 200,000k in the same area as Boston, plus its DT is larger. Plus, SF has very dense areas like the Chinatown, Nob Hill, Tenderloin.

I am not sure people are basing their voting on Boston's brick houses vs. SF wooden ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 08:38 AM

330 posts, read 878,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yes, Oakland is a total suburb...what were we thinking?

This thread is now about Washington DC?

Surprise Surprise.
I think most people know what I meant - Hayward, Union City, Fremont, etc...and most of the rest of the Bay Area..

Duh - of course it's not about DC. Didn't you read the subject of the thread? I think every time you hear or read DC it hits a button in you. Could it be because of this: https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...cities-sf.html

Old 08-01-2009, 08:43 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,832,385 times
Boston all the way baby

Old 08-01-2009, 09:54 AM

36,665 posts, read 67,579,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
I think most people know what I meant - Hayward, Union City, Fremont, etc...and most of the rest of the Bay Area..
Fremont is 45 miles SE of Downtown SF. Are you trying to tell us that Boston and DC have super urban areas 45 miles outside of their respective CBDs?

LOL good one. And actually SF is the 2nd most densely populated urbanized area in the country, behind gulp-Los Angeles.

Quote:
Duh - of course it's not about DC. Didn't you read the subject of the thread?
Then you should have made a thread about DC vs Boston vs SF because that's obviously what your motives were.

Quote:
I think every time you hear or read DC it hits a button in you.
No, I think you have buyers remorse from leaving the best place to live in the world in favor of DC and now are trying to save face by defending DC-or rather by being defensive to people who prefer the Bay Area. Plus I'm noticing a skyscraper complex by some DC folks here. hmmm.

Consider this your intervention.

LOL

Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymon83 View Post
I am actually a little surprised at the voting at these threads. DC and SF was close, but DC and Boston was a blow out? IMO, it should have been the other way around.

SF has another 200,000k in the same area as Boston, plus its DT is larger. Plus, SF has very dense areas like the Chinatown, Nob Hill, Tenderloin.

I am not sure people are basing their voting on Boston's brick houses vs. SF wooden ones?
SF has about 200K on DC too and is about 12 sq miles smaller than both DC and Boston.

Really puts things into perspective doesnt it.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:14 AM

330 posts, read 878,808 times
Quote:
Fremont is 45 miles SE of Downtown SF. Are you trying to tell us that Boston and DC have super urban areas 45 miles outside of their respective CBDs?

Then you should have made a thread about DC vs Boston vs SF because that's obviously what your motives were.

No, I think you have buyers remorse from leaving the best place to live in the world in favor of DC and now are trying to save face by defending DC-or rather by being defensive to people who prefer the Bay Area. Plus I'm noticing a skyscraper complex by some DC folks here. hmmm.

Consider this your intervention.

LOL
LOL. Your mind works in a funny way and you think you can read my mind. LOL. Obviously not a mind reader because not at all my perspective. No skyscraper complex at all. DC is perfect with its dense low rise developement - very euro look and feel. I even hear that if you count the government buildings it boasts the second largest downtown behind Manhattan. Oh and Baltimore is 35 miles away from DC and that is not a bedroom community like Fremont which is 45 miles away. Enough about DC.

Fremont by air is actually like 20 miles away from SF. But because the bay is in the way it takes 45 miles to get there. The bay is developed in a narrow strip all around the bay. If the Bay Area is as huge as you think then why is its CSA only 7 million? Boston's and DC's CSA is larger. LOL.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:52 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,920,433 times
Quote:

Yes.

Providence, Rhode Island 50 miles from Boston
Worcester, Massachusetts 45 miles from Boston
Manchester, New Hampshire 50 miles from Boston

these are "super urban areas" about 45 miles outside Boston's CBD.

I am not saying this is a reason for Boston to win. I just felt that question needed to be answered.

I did vote Boston but I think SF, Boston, Chicago, and Philly are all close calls for 2nd place in the "how urban is it" department.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:58 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,573,514 times
This is a tough question because I believe both cities are excellent examples of urban cities. I would say its a draw and give Boston a slight advantage because of its age.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:59 AM

457 posts, read 1,109,896 times
This thread seems to be getting a little off track. SF and Boston are both great cities. I have never been to SF, so I can't really form a complete opinion, but on paper it seems SF has this one. Not by miles, but by a little bit.

IMO, SF appears busier and has move vibrant neighborhoods.

Just out of curiosity why are people voting for Boston? Is it the northeastern character?

Old 08-01-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBay-NowDCarea View Post
Fremont by air is actually like 20 miles away from SF.
Oh? And how many people fly from Fremont to San Francisco.

Quote:
But because the bay is in the way
mountains too.
The immediate Oakland Area, which includes Berkeley, Alameda and Emeryville is more densely populated than most major cities in the US.

And here's Hayward since you brought it up. About 30 miles from DT San Francisco.

Now that I think about it, this pic is about 55-60 miles south of Downtown San Francisco. The Density is the same for that entire 55-60 miles with no breaks or open space.

And considering our gorgeous setting and wonderful climate-the bay and mountains are hardly 'in the way'.

And as far as urbanized density

Population Per Square Mile
San Francisco-Oakland, CA 6,130.4
San Jose, CA 5,914.1
Washington, DC-VA-MD 3,400.8
Baltimore, MD 3,041.2
Boston, MA-NH-RI 2,322.6

US Urbanized Areas by Density: 2000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City