Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2011, 01:04 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,658,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
So whats ya'lls theories on how the crime rate improved so drastically nationwide and what can be done to continue the progress?
I dont know but soon as Obama came to DC is when the murder rate hit an all-time low
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:27 PM

170 posts, read 391,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Lol....perculator is from Baltimore and so is house music. The artist that does its time for the perculator is from Baltimore not Chicago. GoGo can not be duplicated and bands can't play it outside of DC. It is just like nobody can do flamingo like Spain. The only place you can here it is in DC. Its an art form. Some bands try to imitate it in ATL, Charlotte, Philly, and Raleigh but its a DC thing. Rap is generic and anybody in any city can do it. House music is all computers. GoGo is a culture.
a guy by the name of curtis jones (a.k.a cajmere) produced that song back in 91-92, and he was born and raised in chicago..

house music became popular across the midwest and east coast and certain cities now have their own version of the style( bmore and detroit for example)..GoGo may have been sampled by rap, but nobody has tried to duplicate it because it just isn't that popular except in D.C

Old 02-25-2011, 02:00 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMEN VII View Post
a guy by the name of curtis jones (a.k.a cajmere) produced that song back in 91-92, and he was born and raised in chicago..

house music became popular across the midwest and east coast and certain cities now have their own version of the style( bmore and detroit for example)..GoGo may have been sampled by rap, but nobody has tried to duplicate it because it just isn't that popular except in D.C
I stand corrected about the perculator. Believe me, we are so glad nobody has tried to take GoGo. We would have to find something new to define us if everyone else started doing it. Russell Simmons stole urban wear from D.C. unfortunately 20 years ago. We can't keep much for ourselves anymore but we try to.

Old 02-25-2011, 03:32 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I stand corrected about the perculator. Believe me, we are so glad nobody has tried to take GoGo. We would have to find something new to define us if everyone else started doing it. Russell Simmons stole urban wear from D.C. unfortunately 20 years ago. We can't keep much for ourselves anymore but we try to.
Yeah a couple folks from "the A" tried to replicate juke music and they failed miserably

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7YmM_FGSmA

Old 02-25-2011, 03:45 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boreatwork View Post
I dont know but soon as Obama came to DC is when the murder rate hit an all-time low
it was dropping before then. the 90s drug wars are pretty much over. colombians had their turn bringing drugs to the states, now it's the mexicans turn i guess.

Last edited by CelticGermanicPride; 02-25-2011 at 03:59 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,714,718 times
Somebody probably mentioned this already, but East Palo Alto, California was the murder capital of the United States in 1992 with 42 homicides in a city of 24,000 people. And this is for a city of any size, not just big major cities. This was crazy because many cities across the nation had reached their highest homicide rates in the early 90's. East Palo Alto's homicide rate was higher than even D.C. and Oakland at the time in 92'. People I knew who lived in EPA at the time told stories of hearing the crackle of AK's every night. This was not a strange sound to my family either because we lived right smack in the middle of the homicide epicenter of San Francisco in the Lakeview district and our street intersected Randolph Street, which logged some of the highest concentration of homicides in SF history in the 80's and 90's. However, the homicide rate in EPA declined rapidly in the years following this shameful peak.

E. Palo Alto Murder Rate Worst in U.S.; Drug Wars Blamed - Los Angeles Times

Last edited by goldenchild08; 02-26-2011 at 12:33 PM..

Old 02-26-2011, 02:40 PM

1,103 posts, read 2,261,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
Somebody probably mentioned this already, but East Palo Alto, California was the murder capital of the United States in 1992 with 42 homicides in a city of 24,000 people. And this is for a city of any size, not just big major cities. This was crazy because many cities across the nation had reached their highest homicide rates in the early 90's. East Palo Alto's homicide rate was higher than even D.C. and Oakland at the time in 92'. People I knew who lived in EPA at the time told stories of hearing the crackle of AK's every night. This was not a strange sound to my family either because we lived right smack in the middle of the homicide epicenter of San Francisco in the Lakeview district and our street intersected Randolph Street, which logged some of the highest concentration of homicides in SF history in the 80's and 90's. However, the homicide rate in EPA declined rapidly in the years following this shameful peak.

E. Palo Alto Murder Rate Worst in U.S.; Drug Wars Blamed - Los Angeles Times
its rate was about 175 per 100,000. with that said, while east palo alto had a higher murder rate than washington dc overall in 1992, ne/se dc had a murder rate higher than east palo alto with upwards of 200 per 100,000. east palo alto is a tiny little town of 24,000. there are basically no areas that are going to lower and balance out the crime rate like good sides that cities like dc, la, or atlanta have.

Old 02-26-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
its rate was about 175 per 100,000. with that said, while east palo alto had a higher murder rate than washington dc overall in 1992, ne/se dc had a murder rate higher than east palo alto with upwards of 200 per 100,000. east palo alto is a tiny little town of 24,000. there are basically no areas that are going to lower and balance out the crime rate like good sides that cities like dc, la, or atlanta have.
You are right that certain sections of cities have higher homicide rates than others. In the early 90's, the neighborhood I lived in had an equal murder rate of 200 per 100,000. In 1991 or 92, my old neighborhood in Ingleside Heights in Lakeview in San Francisco had 12 homicides on one corner in one year that was less than a block away from our home. Our neighborhood was about 6,000 people. So that is equivalent to 199.2 homicides per 100,000 people.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

Minnie Ward -- helped clean up Ocean View area - SFGate

All in all, I think most cities were more dangerous in the 90's. It just depends on what part of which city you lived in. For instance, I currently live in the DC area and I don't think Georgetown (one of the wealthiest places in the country) has ever been a drugden bloodbath in recent decades.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:34 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
You are right that certain sections of cities have higher homicide rates than others. In the early 90's, the neighborhood I lived in had an equal murder rate of 200 per 100,000. In 1991 or 92, my old neighborhood in Ingleside Heights in Lakeview in San Francisco had 12 homicides on one corner in one year that was less than a block away from our home. Our neighborhood was about 6,000 people. So that is equivalent to 199.2 homicides per 100,000 people.

https://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ncisco-CA.html

Minnie Ward -- helped clean up Ocean View area - SFGate

All in all, I think most cities were more dangerous in the 90's. It just depends on what part of which city you lived in. For instance, I currently live in the DC area and I don't think Georgetown (one of the wealthiest places in the country) has ever been a drugden bloodbath in recent decades.
You're right. I believe most parts of NW DC have been pretty good areas for decades. Keyword:most. Because Colombia Heights and Petworth weren't exactly safe hoods back in the 90s.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
You're right. I believe most parts of NW DC have been pretty good areas for decades. Keyword:most. Because Colombia Heights and Petworth weren't exactly safe hoods back in the 90s.
This is true. I've lived in the DC area since the 90's. Back then, even Georgia Avenue was a violent dangerous area. Today, it is much safer as many parts of NW. But DC as a whole has always been a more ghetto city. DC used to be more like Baltimore with huge swaths of poverty stricken violent areas. This is why the number of homicides in DC back in the early 90's was ridiculous. Today, most of the neighborhoods that are still bad in DC are somewhat tucked away and avoidable in the corners of NE and SE DC. In all my years living in the DC area, I have never been intimidated by the District. Baltimore is another story. Many parts of Baltimore are simply frightening day or night no matter what year and I grew up in the hood.

Last edited by goldenchild08; 02-26-2011 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City