Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 08:14 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times

Advertisements

This thread is ridiculous. You will never convince these posters how dangerous DC used to be. Most of these people will never understand the dynamic of DC let alone the mentality of the 90's. People in DC are anti gangs. No gangs were allowed to set up shop in DC back in the day. DC crews had a "I don't give a f*ck who you are attitude." Secondly, in DC, there are no stupid a$$ colors or idiotic hats (like in Chicago), everyone was and is a potential enemy. Streets like 5th and O and 7th and O (two blocks away beefed for years). I saw the Chicago clip where the gangs were shooting at the cops. That's nothing. In DC, a dude named Bennie Lee Lawson from the KDY crew walked up into DC police HQ homicide unit and murdered 3 detectives and a FBI agent. NYC famous drug dealer Alpo Martinez even stated in his Don Diva interview that DC had the murder game on lock. He feared for his life after his attempted kidnapping and getting shot. A DC dude name Wayne Perry (100 murders) protected Alpo when he was in DC. Jay-Z even mentioned how violent DC was in his first album. He said DC cats was shooting at anything with NY plates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:36 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
brother cool yourself i understand your tryin to stand up for your city, but look don't call me dumd and what not it's not needed. In no way in my statement did I say DC wasn't bad. DC is crazy i've been out in DC B. I know peoples out there, but look i know people from DC who will say " yeah du the Bronx is crazy!", and i know people back home in NY who will say " DMV people dumd violent." And I'm a person who as witnessed alot of violent crimes thing living out here in Brooklyn. If you ask anyone i know, my life has sucked du, but i'm not gunna go into details but you seem like a dude who goes but facts and statistics. You don't you actually take a walk around DC or actually take a walk thru east harlem, or brownsville or ENY. No matter what Both NYC and DC have there bad. So please stop with all that noise your making kid.

a) I'm not from DC
b) I live in East Oakland
c) DC was a lot worse than NYC across the board in the 90's. Fact.
d) I didn't call you dumb
e) you don't know jack about me

Old 03-15-2011, 10:04 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
a) I'm not from DC
b) I live in East Oakland
c) DC was a lot worse than NYC across the board in the 90's. Fact.
d) I didn't call you dumb
e) you don't know jack about me
Maybe the overall city of NY. But there were definitely areas just as bad or worse than DC.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:06 PM

170 posts, read 391,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
This thread is ridiculous. You will never convince these posters how dangerous DC used to be. Most of these people will never understand the dynamic of DC let alone the mentality of the 90's. People in DC are anti gangs. No gangs were allowed to set up shop in DC back in the day. DC crews had a "I don't give a f*ck who you are attitude." Secondly, in DC, there are no stupid a$$ colors or idiotic hats (like in Chicago), everyone was and is a potential enemy. Streets like 5th and O and 7th and O (two blocks away beefed for years). I saw the Chicago clip where the gangs were shooting at the cops. That's nothing. In DC, a dude named Bennie Lee Lawson from the KDY crew walked up into DC police HQ homicide unit and murdered 3 detectives and a FBI agent. NYC famous drug dealer Alpo Martinez even stated in his Don Diva interview that DC had the murder game on lock. He feared for his life after his attempted kidnapping and getting shot. A DC dude name Wayne Perry (100 murders) protected Alpo when he was in DC. Jay-Z even mentioned how violent DC was in his first album. He said DC cats was shooting at anything with NY plates.
see..now, i wouldn't have even responded to this because you sound like a child, but you had to try to disrespect chicago so now i have to take the kid gloves off..

1st off, nobody has even heard of ANY of your DC crews..they may have been wild in your city, but they didn't spread coast to coast because they wouldn't make it outside of your city, but yet L.A and chicago gangs are in just about every single state TODAY, while those lil insignificant "crews" you speak of is pretty much over and done with.

and people OUTSIDE of chicago respect real gangsters like Larry Hoover, i KNOW you heard of him, while DC's most famous street cat is a known snitch (rayful edmonds)..and ya'll let a outsider (ALPO) set up shop in DC and then he snitched on everybody he could,lol..nobody outside of the chi would've been able to come here and do that,period.

and DC was wild only because of the late 80's-90's crack epidemic, just like every other city, but chicago was extremely violent back in the 70's (our highest murder total was in 1974)..so please, stop trying to compare DC to NYC or chicago, these cities have been notorious for crime for DAMN NEAR A CENTURY, your cities history in crime wasn't even RECOGNIZED UNTIL the 90's..

Old 03-15-2011, 11:06 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
i'll be honest...
i had a cousin that thought he was "that iggy," went down to dc for school thinking everything was sweet and ended up getting robbed at gunpoint and stripped down to his boxers. this is in the early 90's, by the way...like '90, '91.

with that said i've seen/heard some craaazy **** back in the early 90's in ny, tho. everything from my mother's friends sons getting shot in the back of the head getting dog food from the bodega to a crack fiend drilling a hole in his leg in broad daylight because he was high as hell to ppl emptying uzi clips in broad daylight to viles of crack/syringes lined up on the streets (where the street and sidewalk meet), etc. etc.

NY was ill during the crack epidemic. i'm not saying DC wasn't but don't think for a sec that DC dudes had **** on lock in ny because they didn't.

i remember my aunt used to date a dude that was on the run for raping his niece and cutting her tongue out so she wouldn't say anything about it.

it was ALL the way real back then. living 6-8+ ppl in one one or two bedroom apartment, random acts of violence over pumps sneakers and 8 ball jackets, etc. etc.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,736,355 times
the wierd part about all of that is that thats when NY had SOUL IMO.
i was so used to seeing piles of trash in the alley, the neighborhood smelling like garbage, ppl that set fires in old barrels, the syringes and dime/nickel bags on the street, prostitutes, graffiti everywhere (not the same now...graffiti is still everywhere but not nearly the amount that it was), squeegee men, ppl selling watches on the street, etc. etc.

random bums laid out, bodegas not run by mexicans (i love mexican ppl but i gotta be real for a sec...you can have a few bodegas in the neighborhood but can you leave some for other ppl or not cater entirely to mexicans/central americans? kthx. i want my marinos ice, plantains, etc. not candy with chilli on it)

its crazy to think that in an environment where everyone went through so much it felt so normal. that was our norm. i dunno about DC, tho.

*Edit*
and the bronx was definitely not a game. we used to ride the train for hours just to meet up with a friend to talk through the gate. not even step outside of the station, walk down the block, chill at her house, etc.

nope.

get off the D train after traveling all the way from jamaica via the F and transferring in manhattan just to talk through a gate because it was so rough. do you realize what kind of commute that is just to meet up with a person and not even really chill with them?

it was that serious. no exaggerations, ducktales, made up stories for kicks, none of that.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:18 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'll be honest...
i had a cousin that thought he was "that iggy," went down to dc for school thinking everything was sweet and ended up getting robbed at gunpoint and stripped down to his boxers. this is in the early 90's, by the way...like '90, '91.

with that said i've seen/heard some craaazy **** back in the early 90's in ny, tho. everything from my mother's friends sons getting shot in the back of the head getting dog food from the bodega to a crack fiend drilling a hole in his leg in broad daylight because he was high as hell to ppl emptying uzi clips in broad daylight to viles of crack/syringes lined up on the streets (where the street and sidewalk meet), etc. etc.

NY was ill during the crack epidemic. i'm not saying DC wasn't but don't think for a sec that DC dudes had **** on lock in ny because they didn't.

i remember my aunt used to date a dude that was on the run for raping his niece and cutting her tongue out so she wouldn't say anything about it.

it was ALL the way real back then. living 6-8+ ppl in one one or two bedroom apartment, random acts of violence over pumps sneakers and 8 ball jackets, etc. etc.

True. That's how it is everywhere though. Back in the 90's over here in Frisco and Oakland you couldn't wear a SF starter jacket without getting robbed unless you had some real clout. In Frisco everybody banged... you weren't any safer in the chinese district then you were in the black district then you were in the mexican district and etc. In Oakland the kingpins had rolls royces, horse drawn carriages and celebrities out for their funeral in the hood.

Mainey **** happens everywhere

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 PM

68 posts, read 179,702 times
I say all major cities were dangerous in the early 90's(late 80's also), it's the time period when all major cities in the country had their worst crime rates.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:52 AM

90 posts, read 246,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post

To start off, 99% of what you said is wrong. With that out of the way I'll start by saying all bernie lee talk is just text. Wheres your proof? Also the rest of your post is just made up as far as anyone is concerned. The video is proof of that stuff happening TODAY, not just in the 90's. Chicago was #1 in murders in 2008, and #2 in 2009. DC isn't even in the top 10 present day. But now back to the 90's. Chicago had the largest/most populated housing projects in the history of the USA. You can claim DC was worse in the 90's all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the level of crime in the Chicago projects was simply second to none.

There was 28 murders in less then 48 hours in the Robert taylor homes in the early 90's. Police were consistently sniped shot at on sight. I'm not gonna list examples because someone else (NOT EVEN FROM CHICAGO) had heard about that and other examples and already has. Look at the raw data, Chicago blew away DC not just in murders, but all other violent/victim crimes. And then to say DC crews had a mind set of "we don't give a **** who you are" like dc gangs are the only gangs that have that mind set. The Chicago ghettos are bigger then all of DC itself, not just 2 little streets. It's the DC people that need convincing that it wasn't the most violent of 90's. That title goes to Chicago. Look at the stats posted a few pages ago. Now if you want to try to say dc is currently more violent then Chicago, then your just a dumbass.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,162,957 times
Slim,

I don't need to make up anything about DC's violence. The FBI deemed DC the worst city in America in the 90's. President Bush came on TV and said a crack deal was made across the street from the White House and had the drugs on his desk to show proof.

Link to Bennie Lee Lawson in the NY Times
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/23/us...re-erupts.html

I don't take anything away from Chicago. I know how violent it was. My roommate in college was from the Chi. He schooled me about Chicago's house music and gang culture and I schooled him about DC GO-GO and it's crews. It was mutual respect. I use to travel to the Chi all the time with him. He lived on 73rd and Phillips. He has been to DC with me a few times. This was in the early 90's. He even mentioned that at least in Chicago, you know where you can go versus where you can't. And you also know who your enemies are. In DC, sh&t happens from block to block and everybody dresses the same. That's the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City