Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 07:07 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,519,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
The economy the way it's been the last couple years is making people go crazy, once the economy starts to rise again I think crime will drop.
The key will be when people with lower education levels starts getting hired which will be later. If higher than normal numbers of those people are still unemployed then it might cause trouble. Another is if the issues that caused crime to spike in the 80's-early 90's return as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 11:07 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,770,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
The key will be when people with lower education levels starts getting hired which will be later. If higher than normal numbers of those people are still unemployed then it might cause trouble. Another is if the issues that caused crime to spike in the 80's-early 90's return as well.

Basically this... the last thing america needs is another crack epidemic.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:46 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,056,688 times
NYC has seen a lot of teenage deaths recently.

In the past week:

-Three boys shot to death (seperate incidents) which were gang related. Two of the boys were 19 and the other was 17 I think.

-Two 16 year old females were killed. One was stabbed 20 times by her mom's boyfriend and the other was shot in the head for no apparent reason.

-Three people stabbed near the subway at 5 am by a crazy bum.

-6 people shot, leaving one male dead, at a middle school reunion.

Folks NYC aint all fun and games.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:52 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,519,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Basically this... the last thing america needs is another crack epidemic.

Basically yes or something similar. Or racial tensions start heating up as well. That would also have the effect of reversing trends of people moving back into cities and infill development and return to the trends of white flight and sprawl. The drop in crime during the 90's is the biggest reason for the rebirth of cities and any return to high crime will reverse it.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:08 AM

914 posts, read 1,088,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

In the past week:

-Three boys shot to death (seperate incidents) which were gang related. Two of the boys were 19 and the other was 17 I think.

-Two 16 year old females were killed. One was stabbed 20 times by her mom's boyfriend and the other was shot in the head for no apparent reason.

Smh, that's sad.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:26 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,419,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

In the past week:

wait where did the event of the teen getting shot in the head for no apparent reason occur?

and what third victims was shot to death besides the 2 in the bronx?

Old 05-28-2010, 12:36 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,944,055 times
I think New Orleans may become safer as some of the criminal elements have not returned from Katrina.

Keep in mind many cities that have decreased crime rates, such as Washington DC, have only pushed the crime into the suburbs through gentrification so the crime overall in the metro area is not decreased. Baltimore is doing this.....there is still a lot of crime in the city but city hall is desperately trying to destroy the slums and push them outward.

LA will have increased crime with the overwhelming number of illegal immigrants.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,056,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
wait where did the event of the teen getting shot in the head for no apparent reason occur?

and what third victims was shot to death besides the 2 in the bronx?
The teen got shot in Boerum Hill, Brooklyn.

Al-Taya Conyers, 16, Shot, Killed In Brooklyn - WPIX

and the gangmember was a Trinitario named NoWiki shot in East NY, Brooklyn. They have a thread on him here:

View topic - R.I.P NOWIKI(ONLY SHOW YOUR RESPECT)

and a vid here:

YouTube - R.I.P NOWIKI DPL

Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 PM

1 posts, read 2,621 times
Do not I'm mean don't over look Philadelphia pa , that place is the middle east of the u.s. Just plain horrible , I was in the Logan / north Philly section walking to a neighborhood store and was caught in a cross fire of lead and was shot in the neck , I am without a doubt a walking miracle , that is a war zone , do not visit that place by any means .

Old 10-04-2010, 08:55 PM

32 posts, read 59,401 times
Okay let me explain something about crime and Detroit because while I often lurk and shake my head at the generalizations, today I feel like talking.

Of the 350-400 homicides a year 60-70% of them are directly and indirectly related to the drug trade. 15-20% are because of domestic dispute and personal conflicts, and the rest are random crime.

The Detroit Police in 2007 stated that 80% of all homicides have a narcotics catalyst but that may be way to optimistic and people have gotten a lot pettier and hungrier since then.

Now I know that 60-80% of roughly 400 people is a lot of murders to be attributed to one source, but frankly there are that many people who hustle here. This is not a city full of petty Chicago or LA gang type issues, this a hustlas city. And 90% of the time if you dont get in the way of another mans hustle (i.e. dont sell or buy drugs), you'll be just fine.

Now property crime, assaults, robberies, and general hood nonsens, yes those are a big issues. And frankly these are the crimes that will affect all residents at some point and will be the reason you will want to move out, amongst other things.

And for the first half of 2010 homicides and shootings are down 50% from 2009. I will find the Detroit News article with the details another time but since the latest leadership change here the police have been very aggeresive responding to homicides and patrolling high crime areas. I think the clearance rate on murder cases rose from an appaling 33% to around the national average of 67% all without a crime lab and a severly understaffed police department.

The point I guess is, get the facts first or at least have some idea what you are talking about before just blurting out the first thing that comes to your mind. Yes Detroit is a crime infested hellhole but if you are from Kansas or Rochester, NY honestly what position are you in to make that judgement if you literally know nothing about what goes on here?

Carry on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City