Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
ABANDONED is a terrible terrible word to use in this list.

If I build a new condo building and it isn't leased right away it's VACANT, not ABANDONED.

Places can't be abandoned unless they had large populations that declined.
No kidding, that's what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 02:16 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
ABANDONED is a terrible terrible word to use in this list.

If I build a new condo building and it isn't leased right away it's VACANT, not ABANDONED.

Places can't be abandoned unless they had large populations that declined.
Yeah vacant is a better word for a lot of those... I know there are several new buildings in the south loop which definitely aren't rented out. A lot of people bought in on them as well for investment purposes and lost their ass.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:41 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,743,788 times
Agree with most of your points. However, I am afraid the Bay area will have a negative population growth in the next few years. That's not good for the future of that region.

Texas cities seem doing well in this economic climate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
lol @ sf abandoned... rentals go like wildfire. it is overpriced because so many people want to live there and the limited space. certainly not abandoned. I understand the issues it is having for middle class people leaving and the job market, but SF is not going anywhere. For every person who leaves there is some young person ready to move in, or a foreign real estate investor buying them up.
Miami is another story I'm familiar with and I know there are lots of condos there sitting mostly unoccupied... this is the case with lots of new condos in FL though.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,010,971 times
Yes. Most of these places tried to sell a lifestyle that failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A lot of the places on that list just built way too many housing developments, condos and high-density apartments in the last ten years. So now there is a glut on the market and a downturn in the economy and they can't fill them. Portland has newly constructed condos with low rates of occupancy and developers have more projects that are still under construction. Miami is also a really good case of this..

If you really want to look at adandoned cities you're looking at the Rust Belt--Detroit, St. Louis, etc..

Old 08-03-2009, 03:19 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,633,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
It means these cities probably had sizeable building booms such as Miami did,but are slow to fill the vacancies so the statistics show low occupancy.
Precisest

Abandoned isn't a good term.. but I mean, it's essentially the same thing as being vacant. No one is living in the rentals (hence being 'abandoned'). It's good for speaking about the rentals, not the city. The rentals WERE abandoned, the cities not so much.

Last edited by WeSoHood; 08-03-2009 at 03:28 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 03:25 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,477,893 times
LMAO @ this list! I thought it was gonna have East St. Louis or cities like that at the top of the list, and then I look and see SF 2nd on the list lol. The 2nd-densest city in the nation would pretty much qualify as the 2nd LEAST abandoned.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:43 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,527,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtown1 View Post
Agree with most of your points. However, I am afraid the Bay area will have a negative population growth in the next few years. That's not good for the future of that region.

Texas cities seem doing well in this economic climate.
I wouldn't be surprised, this is with all of California though in that aspect.

Old 08-03-2009, 03:57 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,455,213 times
If you want to see what Detroit might have looked like at the start of the tear-down/vacant lot era come to Dayton as we are about to go down that road and engage in a substantial demolition effort. Right now things are in the empty house/board up stage...next comes the tear-down wave and then the urban prairies.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,569,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JefferyT View Post
If you want to see what Detroit might have looked like at the start of the tear-down/vacant lot era come to Dayton as we are about to go down that road and engage in a substantial demolition effort. Right now things are in the empty house/board up stage...next comes the tear-down wave and then the urban prairies.
I think it is sad that our government has let all these manufacturing jobs go to China and other low wage countries and in the process destroyed entire US communities while the CEO's get richer.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,823,253 times
I wouldn't deny Buffalo being on the list.
I was there around thanksgiving of 08 and I saw a lot of abandon beat up homes when we roamed the city. Overall, the downtown was impressive, but I didn't expect to see what I saw in some of the neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City