Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 11:25 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,015 times

Advertisements

1. Kansas city, MO.
2. San Francisco, CA.
3. Tucson, Ariz.
4. Dayton, Ohio (tie)
4. Charlotte, N.C. (tie)
6. Springfield, Mass. (tie)
6. Albany, N.Y. (tie)
8. Miami, Fla.
9. Salt Lake City, Utah
10.Portland, Ore.
11.Seattle, Wash. (tie)
11. Poughkeepsie, N.Y.(tie)
13. Buffalo, N.Y.
14. San Jose, CA.
15. Jacksonville, Fla.

"... the Kansas City metro area tops our list of America's Abandoned Cities. In Kansas City, rental vacancy rates rose from 11.9% to 15% over the past year; homeowner vacancy rates nearly doubled, up from 2.1% to 3.8%. Comparatively, the average homeowner vacancy rate in the country's 75 largest metro areas improved slightly from 3% to 2.7%, while the rental vacancy rate edged up to 10.2% from 10% a year ago.

Kansas City isn't the only metro where rental and homeowner vacancy rates are rising in tandem. Second on our list is the San Francisco-Oakland metro, where high prices are pushing Bay Area residents out of the region. Third is Tucson, Ariz., where the aftermath of the housing boom has left a glut of inventory. The pair's predicament illustrates both sides of the vacancy coin..."

America's Abandoned Cities - Yahoo! Real Estate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 11:26 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
That's gotta be one of the craziest lists I've ever seen (and I've seen it before).

Old 08-03-2009, 11:31 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,744,015 times
What I find funny about this list is the term "abandoned". San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle are indeed overpriced, but they are not abandoned cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That's gotta be one of the craziest lists I've ever seen (and I've seen it before).

Old 08-03-2009, 12:24 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,864 times
I'm pretty sure that list is based solely off of occupancy rates in residential rental properties. Doesn't make a place "abandoned" by any means.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:30 PM

3,770 posts, read 10,579,709 times
It means these cities probably had sizeable building booms such as Miami did,but are slow to fill the vacancies so the statistics show low occupancy.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,877,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That-Guy View Post
I'm pretty sure that list is based solely off of occupancy rates in residential rental properties. Doesn't make a place "abandoned" by any means.
Precisely.

Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,533,732 times
A lot of the places on that list just built way too many housing developments, condos and high-density apartments in the last ten years. So now there is a glut on the market and a downturn in the economy and they can't fill them. Portland has newly constructed condos with low rates of occupancy and developers have more projects that are still under construction. Miami is also a really good case of this..

If you really want to look at adandoned cities you're looking at the Rust Belt--Detroit, St. Louis, etc..

Old 08-03-2009, 02:10 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,898,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
A lot of the places on that list just built way too many housing developments, condos and high-density apartments in the last ten years. So now there is a glut on the market and a downturn in the economy and they can't fill them. Portland has newly constructed condos with low rates of occupancy and developers have more projects that are still under construction. Miami is also a really good case of this..

If you really want to look at adandoned cities you're looking at the Rust Belt--Detroit, St. Louis, etc..
Yeah, Omaha is having the same problem filling all the newly built condos. Many local projects are waiting to break ground until things speed up a bit.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:11 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
lol @ sf abandoned... rentals go like wildfire. it is overpriced because so many people want to live there and the limited space. certainly not abandoned. I understand the issues it is having for middle class people leaving and the job market, but SF is not going anywhere. For every person who leaves there is some young person ready to move in, or a foreign real estate investor buying them up.
Miami is another story I'm familiar with and I know there are lots of condos there sitting mostly unoccupied... this is the case with lots of new condos in FL though.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:14 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,215,957 times
ABANDONED is a terrible terrible word to use in this list.

If I build a new condo building and it isn't leased right away it's VACANT, not ABANDONED.

Places can't be abandoned unless they had large populations that declined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City