Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 PM

353 posts, read 816,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well yeah, NYC can take on the whole state of Florida if it had to. Upstate adds agriculture to the state. The cities, not as much, but they're still bigger cities than most in Florida.
Yeah but cities in Florida are more important nowadays, and agriculture in New York SHOULD NOT BE COMPARED TO FLORIDA!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
I'm not talking about technology COMPANIES. Of course every area of the country is going to have companies. It's just a matter of the kind of technology they use and how advanced it is. I think my family would know a lot more about this than someone in the real estate field.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Oh, Yes that make sense. OK, about business still doesn't seem that way since some of the biggest companies are in NY. Also to mention your excluding the most important city in the US which is located in the State.

Major businesses include,
List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yet for all these wonderful companies, the state has one of the lowest growth rates. Hmmmm.... I think there is a problem here. The state is in decline and it all has to do with taxes and ridiculous regulation. The weather used to be the reason why people left NY, now it is the jobs, taxes and oppressive govt.

Think about it, people do not move away from places because of a good economy

Old 08-09-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native17 View Post
Yeah but cities in Florida are more important nowadays

Can you provide some information from some good sources saying this? And not just Miami.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EverestClimb View Post
List of U.S. states by population growth rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yet for all these wonderful companies, the state has one of the lowest growth rates. Hmmmm.... I think there is a problem here. The state is in decline and it all has to do with taxes and ridiculous regulation. The weather used to be the reason why people left NY, now it is the jobs, taxes and oppressive govt.

Think about it, people do not move away from places because of a good economy

Did you take a look at the projected populations 10 years from now, 20 years from now, etc? It's expected NYS's population will increase. You can thank NYC for that. No matter the economy, the population of the state is still going to increase here. It's a fact you just gotta face. And anyway, Florida isn't the retirement haven like it once was. It's fading fast as NC and the west take its place. Sorry to break the news to you.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:29 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
I still don't understand how a WHOLE state can have outdated technology? 1 company in Florida used that computer language and all of a sudden Florida as a WHOLE is outdated in technology? Call me crazy but I don't understand.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
And besides it's computer language, not necesarily computer software. I think there is a difference. Maybe i'm wrong.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:32 PM

763 posts, read 1,298,196 times
Quote:
Did you take a look at the projected populations 10 years from now, 20 years from now, etc? It's expected NYS's population will increase. You can thank NYC for that. No matter the economy, the population of the state is still going to increase here. It's a fact you just gotta face. And anyway, Florida isn't the retirement haven like it once was. It's fading fast as NC and the west take its place. Sorry to break the news to you.
Barely increasing, and slower than almost every other state.

NYC is not the whole state. While NYC is doing ok, the rest of the state is in dire straights.

I could care less if some retirees are not relocating here. The bottom line is, and you have not shown anything to refute this, is than Florida is doing better as a state than NY. Sometime in the future it will pass NY.

Sorry to break the news to you, it is just a fact you will have to face.

NY= current #3 state. In 20 yrs, Florida will probably = #3 state

Old 08-09-2009, 10:34 PM

353 posts, read 816,201 times
Quote:
Can you provide some information from some good sources saying this? And not just Miami.
Tampa, Orlando, Jacksonville... don't you think they are more relevant than buffalo or albany?
economically and in terms of diversity... probably more known around the world as well...

Can someone help me post links?!!

Old 08-09-2009, 10:35 PM

486 posts, read 1,035,119 times
If I had to choose between Florida, Illinois, and NY for #3, I'd say NY. Actually I may move it up to #1 or 2, because it has the #1 city in the world! That's of course my personal bias, and disregards state GDP, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City