Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: United States, best country?
Yes 28 50.00%
No 28 50.00%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 PM

793 posts, read 1,452,720 times

Advertisements

The people who make the claim that ANY country is the best on earth are usually the ones who haven't been or lived anywhere else in their lives. Only an extremely ignorant person would ever make that claim.

With that being said there are countries that are the best fits for you personally. For me the US is the best country for my current situation, but that could significantly change in the future.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:25 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
As far as i'm concerned the US is the best.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,827,372 times
America!!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 PM

233 posts, read 752,311 times
There is no such thing as the best country in the world. Is the U.S. good at some things? Yes. Right now though, with all of these crazy ignorant folks at these town hall meetings about health care reform, it makes me realise there are so many people who are ignorant and easily scared into believing anything their right wing talk show host tells them. It doesn't matter if it's a complete falsehood a lot of Americans will NEVER research anything, whether that's geography, politics, European style healthcare, it doesn't matter. If Glenn Beck says its so, then I'm for or agaisnt it too. Makes me feel disgusted and hopeless. Sorry about the rant.

Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
This thread makes me want to throw up. So much does these days, though.
on the contrary, i'm very proud of this thread. blind faith/ignorance doesn't help anyone.

btw, i voted yes...

way too many intelligent people on this board so its worth sticking around...

Old 08-12-2009, 08:45 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,696,554 times
USA all the way baby!

Old 08-12-2009, 08:51 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,200,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr75 View Post
There is no such thing as the best country in the world. Is the U.S. good at some things? Yes. Right now though, with all of these crazy ignorant folks at these town hall meetings about health care reform, it makes me realise there are so many people who are ignorant and easily scared into believing anything their right wing talk show host tells them. It doesn't matter if it's a complete falsehood a lot of Americans will NEVER research anything, whether that's geography, politics, European style healthcare, it doesn't matter. If Glenn Beck says its so, then I'm for or agaisnt it too. Makes me feel disgusted and hopeless. Sorry about the rant.
No apology needed. Frankly, in my time on this Earth, the last few months have taught me more about my country than I'd have ever otherwise known. A guy shoots 3 cops because he's afraid Obama's going to take away his guns. A guy shoots a national guard recruiter because he heard from Limbaugh that Obama was creating FEMA concentration camps. A guy shoots a black security guard at a Holocaust memorial Museum. A guy shoots an abortion doctor in the name of the "pro life" movement.

Fast forward to August, apparently Americorp is a secret Obama indoctrination campaign. Fights break out at healthcare town halls. Swastikas are sprayed on a black congressman's office. Men show up at town hall meetings, including one for the president, with guns and knives. One of them with a sign reading "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants". A guy distributes posters saying "Kill all Marxists, foreign and domestic". People show up at town halls with lynched effigies of congressmen and women. And all the while, prominent right wing leaders, apparently having not learned that many people are taking jokes about killing seriously, fuel the fire by claiming that Obama wants to kill old people and children, joking about lynching congressmen and women, joking about poisoning the Speaker of the House, etc.

And this is just the first 6 months and the first big issue!

To say nothing of the corporate grip on our political dialogue or the unfettered Darwinism of our mainstream social policy. I knew I was on the margins before, but these days I really don't feel like I'm in the same library as the mainstream American, let alone the same page.

So for someone else, this could be the greatest country in the world. I'm not seeing it, though.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:02 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
The USA might not be the BEST place in the world to live, living is all just personal preferences. But the USA is defeinitely the most important country in the world. For having such a HUGE population, the USA is very civilized and has good a quality of living, compared to other highly populated countries like china, india, and russia. Plus, the USA has a huge impact on the rest of the world, when it comes to media.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,632,486 times
^^^

Yes, the US, is the mosty important nation on Earth.

Though, how long will that last?

The rate the this country is going, America, is nothing more but an aging relic from the 20th Century.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:10 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,472,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
No apology needed. Frankly, in my time on this Earth, the last few months have taught me more about my country than I'd have ever otherwise known. A guy shoots 3 cops because he's afraid Obama's going to take away his guns. A guy shoots a national guard recruiter because he heard from Limbaugh that Obama was creating FEMA concentration camps. A guy shoots a black security guard at a Holocaust memorial Museum. A guy shoots an abortion doctor in the name of the "pro life" movement.

Fast forward to August, apparently Americorp is a secret Obama indoctrination campaign. Fights break out at healthcare town halls. Swastikas are sprayed on a black congressman's office. Men show up at town hall meetings, including one for the president, with guns and knives. One of them with a sign reading "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants". A guy distributes posters saying "Kill all Marxists, foreign and domestic". People show up at town halls with lynched effigies of congressmen and women. And all the while, prominent right wing leaders, apparently having not learned that many people are taking jokes about killing seriously, fuel the fire by claiming that Obama wants to kill old people and children, joking about lynching congressmen and women, joking about poisoning the Speaker of the House, etc.

And this is just the first 6 months and the first big issue!

To say nothing of the corporate grip on our political dialogue or the unfettered Darwinism of our mainstream social policy. I knew I was on the margins before, but these days I really don't feel like I'm in the same library as the mainstream American, let alone the same page.

So for someone else, this could be the greatest country in the world. I'm not seeing it, though.
Ditto. I think it has the potential to be the greatest country in the world and I think it is supposed to be the greatest. But recently there has been way too much wrong with it for me to actually believe myself if I called it that. I'm not trying to live anywhere else though (at least for the time being), and I can't name a nation that I feel is fully superior to the US. UK seems cool, and so does Japan, New Zealand and Australia. Switzerland, Norway and Spain seem to offer a better QOL.

But I have no plans to relocate anytime soon, so for now I'll ride things out and hope they improve soon. My faith in humanity overall is dwindling (I'm seriously starting to believe that 85% of the Human Race is borderline retarded ), so I don't think I'll necessarily escape the huge number of idiots this country is bogged down with by jumping ship. I've come across morons from all over the world, and no place is immune. I just wish the masses weren't made up of so many sheep that lack the ability to think critically for themselves. Differing views are all good, but blindly following whatever certain people say while refusing to ever see things from a differing perspective makes the world suck. And its an awesome, amazing world that doesn't have to suck at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City