Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 11:37 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Actually, when "Dirty Water" plays on the radio, the city name you are in is inserted into song. My son's father was from the Boston area and was a little shocked when the song played on the radio and out came Detroit, instead of Boston. I have been to other cities where it is the same way..

That may be true in other cities, but the song was definitely originally written about Boston. One thing Boston is adamant about is authenticity. They play Dirty Water at every Red Sox game and there is no way a cheap knockoff would pass the Fenway litmus. Here's some info btw:

Dirty Water - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
Glen Frey from the Eagles(whom I'm sure you already knew) is actually from my hometown here in Royal Oak, Michigan.
I didn't mind the Kiss song, but really can't stand Ted Nugent. I prefer Bob Seger to him or anybody else.
Yeah I kinda agree Nooge is kinda a stooge - but ya gotta admit, he's a helluva guitar player and did do his share to blow up the Motor City. And I must say I am impressed with DET's musical output! DET's music history is impressive even w/o mentioning Motown. Oh and speaking of Stooges, isn't Iggy from DET? And yeah, I dig Bob better too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 PM

That's a really cool list BCG. But you Y'ers really goota whittle the list down to like just a few tunes to choose from!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
SF also has that scott mckenzie song, dock of the bay, and San Francisco bay by lee oskar
Dock of the Bay is a real contender for SF!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Another good song for Philadelphia is "Philadelphia freedom" by Elton John.

For Chicago--"Saturday in the park" by Chicago.

Boston--"Please come to Boston" by a bunch of different singers of different genres.

Miami--"welcome to Miami" by Will Smith

Not sure of others, but they'll come to me.
I agree with you on all three Rachael except the Boston tune. PCTB is no competition for Dirty Water - but thanks for the props just the same!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Cool topic.
Philly: It's gotta be the Rocky theme song

Boston: "I'm shipping up to Boston" by Dropkick Murphy's

New York: Frank Sinatra, "New York, New York" it is easily the most well known "city song"

Las Vegas: Frank Sinatra, "This Town"
I kinda like the Philly idea. But do folks in PHL really feel comfortable with that as their iconic theme? Somehow I think Philly's got something better. Who was that famous conductor from Philly?

Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 PM

250 posts, read 246,123 times
L.A:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4EBr7F9Jc

San Francisco anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHYfa9-8EZA

Old 08-16-2009, 11:53 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,020,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
That's a really cool list BCG. But you Y'ers really goota whittle the list down to like just a few tunes to choose from!
I believe the term is NY'ers. I think I'll just go with Sinatra.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy eyes 1979 View Post
First of da month- Bone Thugs

Cleveland Rocks- was that actuall a song or a sitcom anthem not sure
I think Cleveland Rocks is a real good one - a real national contender. Very direct to the point, energetic, catchy - hell yeah!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
I believe the term is NY'ers. I think I'll just go with Sinatra.
Yeah, sorry - typo! Oh, but I think w all NY has to offer you should pick a few faves not just one.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfresh View Post
Jeez, LA is up there with NY in quantity of great stuff!

I forgot about LA Woman by the Doors! Then again there's Welcome to the Jungle although I doubt the chamber of commerce will approve of that on.

Perhaps California Dreamin - Mamas & Papas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City