Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Of these three, which do you think has the best higher education in general? Please pick 2
Atlanta 54 68.35%
Dallas/Ft Worth 20 25.32%
Houston 28 35.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 12:56 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times

Advertisements

Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 01:00 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
what are you talking about?atlanta competes and surpasses those cities on even a global level.its not a fact at all!atlanta is one of the worlds financial capitals.it ranks higher than both dallas and houston on just about every financial indicator..atlanta has a very diversified economy.houston for years has been criticized needing to diversify more.it has since its major bust in the eighties tremendously but there is still room.

Look here:
citgy mayors: World's best financial cities

and here:

Your'e right atlanta does not compare,it exceeds dallas and houston.

really when did atlanta exceed dallas & houston sorry your wrong. This argument you want win. And i will be back with data to prove my point.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:01 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,852,499 times
Quote:
its a combinations of things.Not one thing!!But the same schools are mentioned over and over.You can look at three of the major rankings,the same schools are mentioned over and over.Facts?
How about this:
Atlanta has more colleges than these two cities,yet it is smaller.
Atlanta has has more students that have 3 of the most prestigious scholarships in America
Atlanta has more college students as a percentage of the population than the other cities.
And here is a major FACT:The best U.S. cities and towns for college students - MarketWatch

P.S.I know you're looking.LOL
I had to rep you for that I totally looked!

Old 08-23-2009, 01:29 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,788,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
And you know this because you've done a national poll? Lol. The fact of the matter is that most people outside the south probably couldn't tell you about the schools in either city. Even Atlanta. Because it's not as if there are any schools down here of the same caliber as a Harvard, Princeton, or MIT. Many folks don't know about Rice or Emory, and if you aren't black there's a good chance you haven't heard of Morehouse, Spelman, or Prairie View. Georgia Tech and UofH are probably the only exceptions.

And the vote in this poll is split. As of now, 35 people voted in favor of Atlanta, and 34 did not. So far it's only Atlanta by a slim majority.

The best city for college education can be decided on many different things. Not just college rankings. Things like which city has the best quality of life for students, research facilities, the best libraries, financial aid, housing, school funding, ammenities, study abroad, work study programs, administration, etc....All of these could play a roll in someone's decision.
Yes you are right.It stands to reason that some white people have not heard of many black shools.That does not mean they do not exist.They are well known in the business and educated communities(college admins etc).Especially Morehouse and Spelman.Morehouse/Spelman have a very diverse student body throughout the African Diaspora.PV is not even on the same level academically or by notoriety.Also there are plenty of schools that are "mainstream" that people have never heard of.It really does not matter as long as the school is accredited and confers degrees.The impact is greater than just the school itself.Especially if those graduates go on to do great things.

As far as ranking go Atlanta consistenly ranks as one of the best cities for college students.Forbes,Business Week and Black Enterprise have had various rankings on this.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
i had to rep you for that I totally looked!
lol.lol
YOU ARE INDEED A GENTLEMAN!LOL

Old 08-23-2009, 02:56 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Yes you are right.It stands to reason that some white people have not heard of many black shools.That does not mean they do not exist.They are well known in the business and educated communities(college admins etc).Especially Morehouse and Spelman.Morehouse/Spelman have a very diverse student body throughout the African Diaspora.PV is not even on the same level academically or by notoriety. Also there are plenty of schools that are "mainstream" that people have never heard of.It really does not matter as long as the school is accredited and confers degrees.The impact is greater than just the school itself.Especially if those graduates go on to do great things.

As far as ranking go Atlanta consistenly ranks as one of the best cities for college students.Forbes,Business Week and Black Enterprise have had various rankings on this.
Well I've never denied this but it's beside the point. The point I'm trying to make is that some Atlantans seem to think that ATL is way up here, and HOU is way down there when it comes to higher education. That's not really the case, though. Yes, Atlanta does have more schools of quality, but in reality all three cities are really on the same tier of colleges.

Someone made a point earlier that Atlanta was the only major city in a much smaller state so that helps its college scene. Texas is much larger with more major cities....Imagine if Houston was the only major city in Texas and Rice, UofH, UT, Texas A&M, SMU, Prairie View, and Texas Tech were all located in the metro.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:31 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,615,189 times
Quote:
Well I've never denied this but it's beside the point. The point I'm trying to make is that some Atlantans seem to think that ATL is way up here, and HOU is way down there when it comes to higher education. That's not really the case, though. Yes, Atlanta does have more schools of quality, but in reality all three cities are really on the same tier of colleges.

Someone made a point earlier that Atlanta was the only major city in a much smaller state so that helps its college scene. Texas is much larger with more major cities....Imagine if Houston was the only major city in Texas and Rice, UofH, UT, Texas A&M, SMU, Prairie View, and Texas Tech were all located in the metro.
That's not always true. Atlanta is the only large city in GA and the universtiy of Georgia and Georgia Southern is not in its metropolitan area.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlock2513 View Post
That's not always true. Atlanta is the only large city in GA and the universtiy of Georgia and Georgia Southern is not in its metropolitan area.
That's not the point. I never said all of Georgia's best schools were located in Atlanta, but a great chunk of them are. Just like most of Texas' great schools are located in the major metros.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:03 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,248,041 times
I voted for Atlanta. No explanation needed, as the people that backed their answers with FACTS rather than childish emotional tirades pretty much exlplained and articulated why.

I don't understand why *some* Texans on this thread have to take it so personally that everyone isn't as infatuated and in love with them as they are with theirselves.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:

Ok maybe im just not getting it.How can Dallas and Houston be on the same tier of higher education if it has less students ,less colleges,and a less educated populace?Regardless if Atlanta is the only major metro in Georgia of its size is really irrelevant.The reason are: first of all all, American major cities benefit their general area,then their states,then the entire U.S.Some cities have metros in more than one state.The financial aspects benefit both states because of the tax base and the jobs that the core creates.Now im not saying that Dallas and Houston do not measure up to Atlanta(in the other areas),but for a smaller city(Atlanta),it seems it should not be ahead or at least farther behind in some cases.I really think that what I said about higher education in a city will continue to be a major factor in the future of U.S. cities.The universities are so competitive.

Anyway its really off topic of the question put forth by the O.P.All these things are "coulda, woulda, shoulda",the facts are what have been posted.If someone wants to put facts up that say something different then please do,but for now,Atlanta wins this one by a long shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City