Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer to visit?
Savannah, GA 54 49.09%
Santa Fe, NM 56 50.91%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 AM

2 posts, read 18,945 times

Advertisements

"ummmm",bradley, you try too hard at being a misanthrope; relax and enjoy your "urban planning" job and the drab, austere isolation that is the southwest. las vegas is hideous for more than a weekend, and doubly so during the daytime. i almost feel sorry for you.
it must be the altitude that makes those from santa fe think they are living in paradise because i've been to both cities and while savannah isn't where i'd chose to live, santa fe fancies itself another san fransisco...it's boring after one day and the art and culture and desert hues become monotonous in a hurry. seriously, why would you chose desert scrub, mountains, a celebrated flower-painter, and green chilies over lush and verdant scenery, decadent and stately architecture, a fascinating history ,and all this within a stone's throw of the majestic atlantic? breathe any interesting dust or spores lately, bradly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:15 AM

515 posts, read 1,058,869 times
I have visited both and although both have their charm, if you like Savannah's stately architecture and historic appeal you might want to visit it's sister city Charleston, an hour or so to the North which actually surpasses it in this regard, imo. But if I had to choose between Savannah and Santa Fe, I would say Santa fe takes the prize. Primarliy because of the old world ambiance, and spectacular mountain backdrop, not to mention the unique pueblo adobe architecture that dominates the whole town. Besides its artsy flair, Santa fe seems to have a certian coziness about it. The only place I can think to compare it to, would be Carmel-by-the-Sea, in California.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:55 AM

3,435 posts, read 6,985,629 times
Santa Fe wins.

I think it is older too.

Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Even though I live in New Mexico, my vote goes to Savannah. I've been to Santa Fe and Savannah. I prefer Savannah. I like the feel of Savannah (southern, live oaks, Spanish moss) plus Savannah is warmer.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:07 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,098,251 times
Santa Fe... I love it. It is one of my favorite cities on the planet. The narrow alley ways, old spanish cemeteries, churches, parks, arroyos, the southwester architecture, tolerant and liberal attitude, the mountains, the desert, and yes, forests too. Santa Fe is just awesome. I enjoy every minute i am lucky enough to spend there. More importantly to me than any of the things i just listed or anything listed about Savannah, is the fact that Santa Fe has green chiles... I can live on those alone! mmmmm Reason enough to vacation there.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
never been to Savannah. Don't care to go or visit.

I've been to Santa Fe many times and loved it! so beautiful and awesome! So I choose Santa fe!

Old 06-29-2010, 07:52 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,468,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy19 View Post
never been to Savannah. Don't care to go or visit.

I've been to Santa Fe many times and loved it! so beautiful and awesome! So I choose Santa fe!
Any reason why? Just wondering.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:11 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,170,272 times
Just not interested. It's never been one of those towns where I've gone "ohh I waant to go to Savannah one day! I hope I save enough money!" ya know? plus I live so far from there, that there are literally dozens more cities I'd rather go to on that side of the U.S than Savannah.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yes,Savannah has a HORRIBLE crime rate ...
YOU SHOULD PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH AFONEGA AND DO SOME HOMEWORK! Yes, Savannah has crime just like every urban city in the country but it is not HORRIBLE and comes nowhere close to the crime in Detroit, St. Louis, Birmingham, New Orleans or even Atlanta. In fact, it has declined significantly in recent years. I do not recall the last time there was a homicide in this city, and when you consider nearly 7 million people visit every year without problem, the crime statistics are even more telling.

For the first quarter of 2010, total crime was down 17 percent in Savannah-Chatham County, and violent crime was down 34 percent:

Crime down 17 percent across the area, Savannah-Chatham police say | savannahnow.com

PLEASE DON'T DEFEND SAVANNAH WITH YOUR OWN IGNORANCE. We don't need fellow Georgians talking about crap they don't know about.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,913,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior6 View Post
I have visited both and although both have their charm, if you like Savannah's stately architecture and historic appeal you might want to visit it's sister city Charleston, an hour or so to the North which actually surpasses it in this regard, imo. But if I had to choose between Savannah and Santa Fe, I would say Santa fe takes the prize. Primarliy because of the old world ambiance, and spectacular mountain backdrop, not to mention the unique pueblo adobe architecture that dominates the whole town. Besides its artsy flair, Santa fe seems to have a certian coziness about it. The only place I can think to compare it to, would be Carmel-by-the-Sea, in California.
Leave it to some snotty blue blood from "Chawl-stun" to use a question about whether or not one should visit Savannah to diss its sister city to the south. GIMME A BREAK! You Charlestonians just can't deal with the fact that:
A) Savannah's port is whipping your ass.
B) Savannah's a much more laid-back town that knows how to party.

Every time I go to Charleston and tell people I'm from Savannah, they look at me and say, "Why are you here? We love Savannah." Nobody has fun in Charleston out of fear somebody will see them and tell their momma at church on Sunday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City