Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which City Do You Prefer?
San Francisco. 264 55.81%
Philadelphia. 158 33.40%
Too close to call. 38 8.03%
I don't like either city. 13 2.75%
Voters: 473. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:51 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
You are so right, silly us
Sorry but sometimes we need to remind people of reality.

Philadelphia is a great city, I like it a lot.

But San Francisco, its not.

And that is basically the bottom line.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:55 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Philadelphia is a great city, I like it a lot.

But San Francisco, its not.

And that is basically the bottom line.

Thank you

Old 07-08-2010, 12:44 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The reality being that San Francisco is a bland and sterile city? It is nearly soul-less. I don't think I saw a non-tourist family in the city the whole time I was there. If you make more than $22,000 a year but less than $500,000, there's no way you can raise a family there. You'd probably have to move to Richmond, where most people I know from the Bay Area grew up. I just don't consider vibrancy to be a bunch of 30 year old trust fund babies parked outside of cafes and gulping down bottles of Pellegrino. Some people actually like seeing children play stickball, girls skip double dutch, and kids go wild in streams of water blasting from a fire hydrant. Philadelphia has these things called "neighborhoods" that have "families" that are "middle class." We also do this thing called "work." Ever heard of that? We are a working class city and we're proud of that.

Apart from its beauty, San Francisco's not known for anything. The city doesn't produce anything of any cultural significance since its too expensive for anybody to be raised there. And no, having impressive art galleries is not producing something of cultural signficance. Galleries are merely repositories for the creative works that non-creative people admire. Philly has impressive galleries also, but we also have "natives" such as the Roots, the Jazzyfatnastees and McCoy Tyner who have made significant contributions to music. What is coming out of San Francisco these days? Well, I suppose you guys are creating iPhones and stuff, so I'll give you that. Not sure how that adds to the city's vibrancy, though.

I'll just let the Boss do the talking for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z2DtNW79sQ

Last edited by BajanYankee; 07-08-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2010, 01:17 PM

515 posts, read 986,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The reality being that San Francisco is a bland and sterile city? It is nearly soul-less. I don't think I saw a non-tourist family in the city the whole time I was there. If you make more than $22,000 a year but less than $500,000, there's no way you can raise a family there. You'd probably have to move to Richmond, where most people I know from the Bay Area grew up. I just don't consider vibrancy to be a bunch of 30 year old trust fund babies parked outside of cafes and gulping down bottles of Pellegrino. Some people actually like seeing children play stickball, girls skip double dutch, and kids go wild in streams of water blasting from a fire hydrant. Philadelphia has these things called "neighborhoods" that have "families" that are "middle class." We also do this thing called "work." Ever heard of that? We are a working class city and we're proud of that.
San Francisco soul-less? It must have fooled me then. And also, where can you raise a family in Manhattan without making a decent salary? I'd love to know, because I live here and pay a boat-load in rent.

Quote:
Apart from its beauty, San Francisco's not known for anything. The city doesn't produce anything of any cultural significance since its too expensive for anybody to be raised there. And no, having impressive art galleries is not producing something of cultural signficance. Galleries are merely repositories for the creative works that non-creative people admire. Philly has impressive galleries also, but we also have "natives" such as the Roots, the Jazzyfatnastees and McCoy Tyner who have made significant contributions to music. What is coming out of San Francisco these days? Well, I suppose you guys are creating iPhones and stuff, so I'll give you that. Not sure how that adds to the city's vibrancy, though.
You mean other than the gold rush, 1960s hippie movement, mecca for Chinese immigrants, home to mission style burritos, being the financial center for Silicon Valley, being at the heart of the .com frenzy, etc... you're right its basically a backwater.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:59 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,150 times
Quote:

I'll just let the Boss do the talking for me.

YouTube - Bruce Springsteen - Streets Of Philadelphia
Idk about cultural significance, but SF has a bigger global impact than Philly. The Hippie Movement? The Gold Rush? The center of the DotCom boom in the 1990s-2000s? The center for IT and software designing? Where do you think IPhone, IPod, Google, Twitter, HP, Intel are all located? You can't deny that technology has profoundly shaped our lives...technology originating from SF Bay Area.

Music? Ever heard of Metallica? Yes, they originated in Los Angeles, but relocated to SF where they became big. Megadeth? Exodus? How about MC Hammer? Tupac Shakur lived in Marin City (5 miles from SF) where he became a young rapper. Another rap legend...Too Short? The Bay Area was had many big music scenes from Thrash metal to Rap. You can't compare the Roots to Metallica or MC Hammer.

I'm sorry, but when it comes to cultural significance, San Francisco clearly dominates Philadelphia. I live in Philly btw and I have no problem admitting that.

To top it off, San Francisco is a more important global city than Philadelphia since it is a major financial center in the West and being the center of many high-tech companies. GaWC ranks San Francisco as a Beta World City, even though the credibility may be disputed, look at any world city rankings and you will see SF rank higher than Philly.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Where do you think IPhone, IPod, Google, Twitter, HP, Intel are all located?
Cupertino, Cupertino, Mountain View, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Santa Clara

You went 1 for 6. And Twitter is a scourge on society.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
San Francisco soul-less? It must have fooled me then. And also, where can you raise a family in Manhattan without making a decent salary? I'd love to know, because I live here and pay a boat-load in rent.
We're not talking about Manhattan. The thread is called "San Francisco versus Philadelphia." At any rate, Manhattan is more economically diverse than San Francisco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
You mean other than the gold rush, 1960s hippie movement, mecca for Chinese immigrants, home to mission style burritos, being the financial center for Silicon Valley, being at the heart of the .com frenzy, etc... you're right its basically a backwater.
I never said it was a backwater town. Denver's not a backwater town. San Diego is not a backwater town. They are just cities that don't have much cultural influence.

When Philadelphians took doo-wop and converted it into "Philly Soul," other cities mimicked our style. When we started wearing Timberland boots, then white tees, then fitted caps and throwback jerseys, kids from New York to London started to catch on. Black kids started wearing box cuts, which were originally called "Phillies," back in the 80s, and kids across the nation caught on. And now, with neo-soul, the city's influence is shining through with acts like the Roots, Musiq Soulchild, Jill Scott, and so on.

That's what I mean by cultural influence.

Old 07-08-2010, 02:25 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
Cupertino, Cupertino, Mountain View, San Francisco, Palo Alto, Santa Clara

You went 1 for 6. And Twitter is a scourge on society.

He didn't say they were all located in SF.....his words were " technology originating from SF BAY AREA"

Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Idk about cultural significance, but SF has a bigger global impact than Philly. The Hippie Movement? The Gold Rush? The center of the DotCom boom in the 1990s-2000s? The center for IT and software designing? Where do you think IPhone, IPod, Google, Twitter, HP, Intel are all located? You can't deny that technology has profoundly shaped our lives...technology originating from SF Bay Area.
How about the founding of the United States of America? I think that was important, too.

Quote:
Music? Ever heard of Metallica? Yes, they originated in Los Angeles, but relocated to SF where they became big. Megadeth? Exodus? How about MC Hammer? Tupac Shakur lived in Marin City (5 miles from SF) where he became a young rapper. Another rap legend...Too Short? The Bay Area was had many big music scenes from Thrash metal to Rap. You can't compare the Roots to Metallica or MC Hammer.
Wow. I can't believe you took it all the way back to MC Hammer. He's not even from San Francisco. In any event, I wouldn't be very proud to lay claim to that one, man. I'd take DJ Jazzy Jeff over MC Hammer any day!

Quote:
I'm sorry, but when it comes to cultural significance, San Francisco clearly dominates Philadelphia. I live in Philly btw and I have no problem admitting that.

To top it off, San Francisco is a more important global city than Philadelphia since it is a major financial center in the West and being the center of many high-tech companies. GaWC ranks San Francisco as a Beta World City, even though the credibility may be disputed, look at any world city rankings and you will see SF rank higher than Philly.
San Francisco has a lot of good stuff, certainly more than Philadelphia, but that doesn't necessarily make the living experience more enjoyable. We can't compete with NYC and DC in terms of global impact, but what we lack in political and economic influence, we make up for with personality and authenticity. I mean, you have to admit, the city is a funny place to live. Riding a trolley or bus is an adventure in and of itself. And the gay bars in Center City are by far the funniest. Where else can you go and have a ripped, 200 lb Asian DJ, blasting Madonna, yell out to a black muslim, "I want YOUUU!!!"? Or when my girlfriend ran into a little Italian lady in Center City and decided to give some lip, the lady put her purse down and replied, "Do you want a piece of this, honey?" Stuff like that happens in Philadelphia all the time, and it's just fun oberving everyday life there. It has so much personality. Do you think the show "Parking Wars" would be as funny anywhere else?

Here's Philadelphia hilarity for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWTnf_kuEs

Old 07-08-2010, 03:01 PM

765 posts, read 1,860,150 times
Quote:
How about the founding of the United States of America? I think that was important, too.

Wow. I can't believe you took it all the way back to MC Hammer. He's not even from San Francisco. In any event, I wouldn't be very proud to lay claim to that one, man. I'd take DJ Jazzy Jeff over MC Hammer any day!

San Francisco has a lot of good stuff, certainly more than Philadelphia, but that doesn't necessarily make the living experience more enjoyable. We can't compete with NYC and DC in terms of global impact, but what we lack in political and economic influence, we make up for with personality and authenticity. I mean, you have to admit, the city is a funny place to live. Riding a trolley or bus is an adventure in and of itself. The gay bars in Center City are by far the funniest. Where else can you go and have a ripped, 200 lb Asian DJ, blasting Madonna, yell out to a black muslim, "I want YOUUU!!!"? Or when my girlfriend ran into a little Italian lady in Center City and decided to give some lip, the lady put her purse down and replied, "Do you want a piece of this, honey?" Stuff like that happens in Philadelphia all the time, and it's just fun oberving everyday life there. It has so much personality. Do you think the show "Parking Wars" would be as funny anywhere else?

Here's Philadelphia hilarity for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaWTnf_kuEs
Personality and authenticity are subjective. New Yorkers have a personality and their own accent as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City