Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:35 PM

3,717 posts, read 8,181,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I really love our country, and I know we're in a recession and our economy needs to pick up for us to safely continue our large skyscraper projects but I really hope we build supertalls all across the country. I have no preference on what city should and shouldn't get one. I just want us to keep what we started. We gave the world it's first skyscraper in Chicago, and I do NOT want to see us playing second fiddle to China EVER.

I really hope we pick up the pace and get started on some great projects.
I agree, New York and Chicago are definitely representing for America. It's just hard to compete with Asia sometimes though, they always seem to be coming up with new things faster.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clean_polo View Post
I agree, New York and Chicago are definitely representing for America. It's just hard to compete with Asia sometimes though, they always seem to be coming up with new things faster.
Because we let them beat us to a lot of things. And generally our attitude is always based off to the fact that those countries have a "larger population" that's why they're building skyscrapers that are like 600 meters tall huh?

No matter what your country's population is and how small the land size of your city is, what is the absolute need to build a half a mile long skyscraper that will remain vacant for decades. It just shows you're trying to architecturally out do everyone else and take the crowne from your American counter parts.

Look at this Bulls*** man, New South China Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Completed in 2005 and still 99% vacant. The heck was the point of building it that large? Going around destroying peoples homes, transporting local homeless people to other cities during the construction for the 2008 Olympics. I mean seriously man... and people try to say "they have a larger population, that's why they're building taller" that's only a minority for the reason... wake up and taste the coffee people... we're getting outdone.

Sorry for venting, but I have a huge problem to other countries flashing how they're better than us. Please... we invented the skyscraper amigo, back off.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Because we let them beat us to a lot of things. And generally our attitude is always based off to the fact that those countries have a "larger population" that's why they're building skyscrapers that are like 600 meters tall huh?

No matter what your country's population is and how small the land size of your city is, what is the absolute need to build a half a mile long skyscraper that will remain vacant for decades. It just shows you're trying to architecturally out do everyone else and take the crowne from your American counter parts.

Look at this Bulls*** man, New South China Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Completed in 2005 and still 99% vacant. The heck was the point of building it that large? Going around destroying peoples homes, transporting local homeless people to other cities during the construction for the 2008 Olympics. I mean seriously man... and people try to say "they have a larger population, that's why they're building taller" that's only a minority for the reason... wake up and taste the coffee people... we're getting outdone.

Sorry for venting, but I have a huge problem to other countries flashing how they're better than us. Please... we invented the skyscraper amigo, back off.
Lol yeah I see what you mean, it's pretty oxy-moronic to say "we have a larger population thats why we build taller" even though like you said its still 99% vacant.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:49 PM

It would be creepy to walk through the "largest mall in the world" but also being 99% vacant. LOL

Old 04-28-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Lol yeah I see what you mean, it's pretty oxy-moronic to say "we have a larger population thats why we build taller" even though like you said its still 99% vacant.
Yeah lol. China is one of my frustration points, I have developed a GREAT dislike for their take on global matters especially from their attitude about humanitarian services, UN involvement, their relation to Taiwan, and their infrastructure. I like their high speed transit system. I give that a lot of props, but please, skyscrapers? Whatever, it's our legacy not theirs, they simply copied us.

We have the third largest population in the world. Haha, it's not like we're some small country with abandoned ghost towns.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah lol. China is one of my frustration points, I have developed a GREAT dislike for their take on global matters especially from their attitude about humanitarian services, UN involvement, their relation to Taiwan, and their infrastructure. I like their high speed transit system. I give that a lot of props, but please, skyscrapers? Whatever, it's our legacy not theirs, they simply copied us.

We have the third largest population in the world. Haha, it's not like we're some small country with abandoned ghost towns.
Exactly, but the messed up thing about it is I bet China would say they invented the Skyscraper lol, they just seem to be like that.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:56 PM

Speaking of Asia, I really want to take a trip to Tokyo, Japan one day. That place looks awesome.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Speaking of Asia, I really want to take a trip to Tokyo, Japan one day. That place looks awesome.
It's a great city to visit. I like the Japanese people and their cities are built very nicely.

And yes, I agree, China does seem like the kind of place that would say they invented the skyscraper.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:59 PM

31 posts, read 62,583 times
San Francisco's skyline is the only part of it that's growing, in the last two years they built a massive parking garage and One Rincon Hill

Old 04-28-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
It's a great city to visit. I like the Japanese people and their cities are built very nicely.

And yes, I agree, China does seem like the kind of place that would say they invented the skyscraper.
Lol yep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City