Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:36 AM
BNe BNe started this thread

23 posts, read 55,526 times

Advertisements

How many Top 50 cities by population have you lived in(for at least a half a year), and how would you rank them and why? Add a little of personal background that influenced your decision if you wish, and try to post only if you've lived in 4 or more(3 if serious insight).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 AM

101 posts, read 275,665 times
Arlington, TX (2 years) born there, no choice.

Dallas, TX (approx. 1 year) We moved in with my grandmother before moving to Michigan, where I grew up.

[Chicago, IL (4 years) attended college in the burbs, so it doesn't really count, but spent a lot of time in the city...]

New York, NY (6 years) Moved there after college to pursue theater, and because it's the greatest city ever.

San Francisco, CA (4 years) Changed coasts after meeting my significant other. We lived there before moving out to the suburbs.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:42 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNe View Post
How many Top 50 cities by population have you lived in(for at least a half a year), and how would you rank them and why? Add a little of personal background that influenced your decision if you wish, and try to post only if you've lived in 4 or more(3 if serious insight).
Only Portland and Los Angeles thus far.

Born + raised in Portland, hated it while I was there but now I really appreciate how unique, beautiful, and fun it can be (still don't really want to move back though).

L.A. for education, although I live there during the summer as well so I consider myself a full-time resident (despite my current sojourn in the Middle East).

I hope to stay in L.A. for at least a year or two after graduation - I really love it and want to experience life there sans going to school - but I have my sights set on Washington DC, Philadelphia, San Francisco, or Denver for grad school and/or work afterwards.

Last edited by PDX_LAX; 03-03-2011 at 07:51 AM..

Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Oakland-born there, moved all over, then came back and left then came back again. LOL

Los Angeles-college(UCLA), then work later

San Francisco-work, wanted to have city life

Charlotte-work, moved there briefly when BofA was bought by NationsBank, took another job after 3 mos.

New York-work, family

Old 03-03-2011, 07:54 AM

101 posts, read 275,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal44 View Post
Arlington, TX (2 years) born there, no choice.

Dallas, TX (approx. 1 year) We moved in with my grandmother before moving to Michigan, where I grew up.

[Chicago, IL (4 years) attended college in the burbs, so it doesn't really count, but spent a lot of time in the city...]

New York, NY (6 years) Moved there after college to pursue theater, and because it's the greatest city ever.

San Francisco, CA (4 years) Changed coasts after meeting my significant other. We lived there before moving out to the suburbs.
Whoops, forgot one:

Los Angeles, CA (3 summers) for my Masters work. How I would rank them:

1. New York, NY obviously
2. San Francisco
3. LA (and Chicago tied if it counted.) Totally different energies, different weather--everything, but I really like them both. (But I'd live in LA if I had to choose...)
4. Dallas, love visiting family and friends.
5. Arlington, go cowboys. (NOT rangers.) Not much else going on there...

Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 AM

26 posts, read 41,661 times
In the States:

Orlando (4 years) : moved from Toronto to Orlando during High School with my family. Then moved back for a job offer from Toronto after finishing Grad School and working for a couple years.

Miami (2 years) : Went to school at FIU on a soccer scholarship.

NYC (3 years) : Transferred from FIU to Colombia University to finish Undergrad and also played soccer.

Boston (3 years) : Relocated from Orlando for work, currently reside here.

Outside of the US:

Toronto (9 years) : Family emigrated from Jamaica to Toronto when I was 9 years old. Also returned for Grad School at UofT and work after graduation.

Kingston, JA (9 years) : Born in Kingston and lived as a child until 9.

Istanbul, Turkey (1 year) : The past year have split with Boston and Istanbul for work.

Beirut, Lebanon: After finishing project in Istanbul, now working part time in Beirut, but mostly at home in Boston.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 AM

1,854 posts, read 4,922,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backayard View Post
In the States:

Orlando (4 years) : moved from Toronto to Orlando during High School with my family. Then moved back for a job offer from Toronto after finishing Grad School and working for a couple years.

Miami (2 years) : Went to school at FIU on a soccer scholarship.

NYC (3 years) : Transferred from FIU to Colombia University to finish Undergrad and also played soccer.

Boston (3 years) : Relocated from Orlando for work, currently reside here.

Outside of the US:

Toronto (9 years) : Family emigrated from Jamaica to Toronto when I was 9 years old. Also returned for Grad School at UofT and work after graduation.

Kingston, JA (9 years) : Born in Kingston and lived as a child until 9.

Istanbul, Turkey (1 year) : The past year have split with Boston and Istanbul for work.

Beirut, Lebanon: After finishing project in Istanbul, now working part time in Beirut, but mostly at home in Boston.
Ah! I am SO jealous, you don't even know. I visited Beirut over Eid al-Adha in November and absolutely fell in love. I am considering going to my university's career advising office and just telling them "find me a job in Beirut" LOL. What do you make of life there?

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
Ah! I am SO jealous, you don't even know. I visited Beirut over Eid al-Adha in November and absolutely fell in love. I am considering going to my university's career advising office and just telling them "find me a job in Beirut" LOL. What do you make of life there?
I love Beirut. Its so chic.

Some of my most favorite fashion designers are Lebanese too.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM

26 posts, read 41,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post

Haha, I hear you man. Its a gorgeous city, definitely one of my favorites after first glance. I haven't had a chance to really explore much so far after 2 trips that consisted of work stuff and apartment hunting, but plan on changing that once I get settled down. First impression though, super chic, bustling, cosmopolitan and absolutely gorgeous.

Looking forward to spending time there, even though my heart is still in Istanbul after the past year.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times

Pittsburgh (Hometown)
Philadelphia (3 years)
DC (1 year)
NYC (13years - Current residence)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City