Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Texas vs. Florida vs. California
Texas 280 37.99%
Florida 123 16.69%
California 334 45.32%
Voters: 737. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 01:50 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,487,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_winter_breeze View Post
Yes, let's look at your most expensive zip code...
YAWNS...

Let's look at price per sq ft...

Neighborhoods by Average Price Per Square Foot, Oct 2015-Jan 2016 $1,000+

Miami Beach City: 0 neighborhoods $1,000+psf average
Miami Beach Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

Miami City: 0 neighborhoods $1,000+psf average
Miami Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

San Francisco City: 36 neighborhoods $1,000+psf average
San Francisco Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

So 36 SF hoods cost $1K per sq ft or higher and ZERO Miami/ Miami Beach hoods cost that much on average. You guys are hella lucky.

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 12:21 AM

72 posts, read 97,396 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter. It doesn't surpass LA's areas.

YOU LOSE
He "loses"? I can't believe you guys have spent pages arguing about which place has the highest housing prices, as if high housing prices is a "good" thing. What's next, is there going to be a debate about which state has the highest overall tax burden? The one with the highest tax burden wins? Spoiler alert: California will win that one also. LOL.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Hated living in Cali and we had money and lived in a very nice place.

Florida...hurricanes and crazy people and bull sharks...no thanks.

I could literally live anywhere and I choose Texas

Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,112,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Hated living in Cali and we had money and lived in a very nice place.

Florida...hurricanes and crazy people and bull sharks...no thanks.

I could literally live anywhere and I choose Texas

Thats ok, where did you live in CA, and where do you live in Texas?

Old 04-01-2016, 05:57 PM

14 posts, read 15,652 times
Florida over both of Them!!!!

Old 04-01-2016, 06:19 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,511,989 times
1. Florida - My family and I love the recreational assets there. Love the theme parks and beaches. It's affordable.

2. Texas - Dallas/Ft. Worth and Houston are good metros that I like. Affordable.

3. California - Just too darn expensive. The areas that aren't quite as expensive aren't areas I'd be interested in.

Old 02-22-2017, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,637 times
I say Texas becuz 1 bedroom in Cali is 1000 to 2000 same in Florida but Dallas was 600

Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,373,010 times
I picked Texas because its home and its more my style.I dont like how California has high taxes especially a really high state income tax.I do not think I would fit in socially in California.I like how florida has no income tax....same with Texas.However, florida does not have good paying jobs for the most part .I like the outdoor activities in texas like white tailhunting and redfishing.I like the scenery in Texas better than FL.I love how Texas is the epicenter of the energy industry and has a lower COL.The mid-size cities in Texas suit me better than CA and FL.I like to visit CA better than Florida.I would not want to live in any of those two other states besides Texas.I am thinking of living in another state but it is not an option in this poll.I like all the big texas metros but my favorites are S/A and the ATX.However, if money was no object I would not mind having a house in SoCal....just would not want to live there full time.I think California has the best scenery in the country.I prefer the weather in Texas over California.

Last edited by C24L; 02-22-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 02-23-2017, 03:48 PM

444 posts, read 665,196 times
Places are cheap or expensive for a reason. Oklahoma and Mississippi are cheap for a reason. New York City and California are expensive for a reason.

There are almost 40 million people in CA. I'm glad it's expensive here, it's good for population control. If it was as cheap as say, Texas or Florida, CA's population would be up around 50mil. Stay cheap Florida and Texas. You are the Big Lots and WalMart of states. Congrats.

Old 02-24-2017, 01:53 AM

72 posts, read 97,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongozx View Post
Places are cheap or expensive for a reason. Oklahoma and Mississippi are cheap for a reason. New York City and California are expensive for a reason.

There are almost 40 million people in CA. I'm glad it's expensive here, it's good for population control. If it was as cheap as say, Texas or Florida, CA's population would be up around 50mil. Stay cheap Florida and Texas. You are the Big Lots and WalMart of states. Congrats.
And what exactly is the reason? A quick web search shows that Alaska, Connecticut, and Hawaii all have higher cost of living than California. What is the reason that you failed to explain in your post?
Let me help you out a little. A place having a high cost of living has a lot to do with population density, and logistics. The more people per square mile, the more the property will generally cost. By logistics, I mean that if the place has to import a lot of consumer goods(for whatever reason), then you have an added expense to figure into the cost of living(which would probably explain some of the high cost of living in Alaska).

California has a population of 40 million compared to 25 million for Texas. Yet California is only about half the land area of Texas. More than double the population density.

Cost of living also has a lot to do with government management/practices. California has very high income taxes on top of their already high cost of living.

I am curious as to which places you are talking about that you have actually lived in? Opinions are subjective, but if you haven't lived any of the places you are comparing, then your opinion really has no basis. Visiting doesn't count. It would be like comparing vanilla ice cream to chocolate, but only having ever tasted vanilla, and only looked or heard about the chocolate. I have lived in both California and Texas, as well as 6 other US states and 7 other countries. Although I am an expat currently living outside the US, if I was to choose a place in the US, Texas would easily get my vote over California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City