Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:35 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
You're the exact opposite from most forum posters. They think what you can find in NYC you can find it Houston.
I think one trip to NYC would change their minds. I went there a couple of years ago and it just blew my mind away. I wish we had even 1/10th of what NYC has. We have a few small districts that have a few bars and clubs but so does every medium sized city. I'm going back to NYC next month and I can't wait!

I have to make the best of the entertainment we do have here in Houston but i'm not even going to try to say it's anything close to the entertainment in the top 10 or 25 cities. I went out in Downtown Houston a week ago and it just made me sad to see how dead it was on a weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 04:37 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
I think one trip to NYC would change their minds. I went there a couple of years ago and it just blew my mind away. I wish we had even 1/10th of what NYC has. We have a few small districts that have a few bars and clubs but so does every medium sized city. I'm going back to NYC next month and I can't wait!

I have to make the best of the entertainment we do have here in Houston but i'm not even going to try to say it's anything close to the entertainment in the top 10 or 25 cities. I went out in Downtown Houston a week ago and it just made me sad to see how dead it was on a weekend.

Well, my dear friend, you're one in a few and speak the honest truth of Houston. A lot of the people on this board claim they've been to NYC, but it's pretty obvious that they haven't. I hope most people in Texas are like you, unlike many on this board who seem to have an inferiority complex.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:38 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,854,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMDallas View Post
Well The Central Arts District in DT Dallas is all apparently tourist infested. It's the largest CAD in the US and maybe the world?
Either way, I wasn't surprised to see Dallas because the NY times did a "top (some number) must see places in the world"
and Dallas was like number 30.
I was like WHOA.
but that's the only reason Dallas is up there, plus the State Fair...? Plus FT Stockyard? and do House hunters count as tourists?
Because other that, Dallas is nothing worth traveling across the country (or the world) over.
Except the horse statue in Las Colinas, biggest equestrian statue in the world. Not that anyone should really care... because I sure don't. LOL
That's my point. Both Houston and Dallas have nice things but nothing worth traveling across the country or world for unless it's for business or to see family or friends.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:46 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Seems like a good list.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Why are people shocked to see ATL on the list? I think the Civil Rights movement, Coca Cola, and the 96' Olympics are all culturally significant.
Do you?

Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
No desire to go to Atlanta. Actually, I think I would even rather visit someplace in Texas than Georgia.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
No desire to go to Atlanta. Actually, I think I would even rather visit someplace in Texas than Georgia.
They're both great states. You should visit both.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:00 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post

YOur problem is your always comparing Houston to cities 3 times bigger than it. Seriously, why would we have as much culture and entertainment as NYC when they have a metro area of about 19 million??? Downtown=/=Culture. I've never seen people actually talk down on a city because its lack of vibrancy in the downtown. Culture are people, food, music, art, history,etc

Are you saying Houston has none of this?? One of the top museum districts, top restaurant scene, tons of historic areas (the wards, downtown area, bayous,etc), Menil Collection, Art museum, Southern Hip Hop,etc

Old 09-07-2009, 05:10 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
jluke have you been to new york city? just wondering. your posts leads me to believe you haven't. It isn't size either...he could be comparing it to Zurich, Brussels, Vienna, all much smaller, similar scenario.

Old 09-07-2009, 05:11 PM

Houston does have one of the largest theater districts in the country, I believe 2nd to NYC. I'm not comparing Houston to NYC, nor saying it is on NYC's level, but I think some people are downplaying Houston just a tad bit. Houston made the list, is it really that bad? I think the problem is, is that when you go to NYC you automatically see that it is WAAAY bigger then Houston and has way more amneties, so you automatically think that a city like Houston CAN'T belong on a list with NYC. BUT Houston compared to OTHER cities like Charlotte, Austin, and Tampa and other 3rd and 2nd teir cities which make up the MAJORITY of cities in the nation, THEN Houston ranks up there on a list with NYC and the like. Do I make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City