Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:47 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,574,518 times

Advertisements

Table of United States Micropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That should give a list and explanation. I'm mostly meaning the ones not listed as being in metropolitan areas.

This might be a dumb thread to do, but there's something of a large city bias here so I've been tempted to try this. Also in my, admittedly limited, experience I seem to prefer this size. Although I didn't know there was a name for until this year.

I don't think any site or group ranks micropolitan areas, but maybe personal experience or city-data stats would give a clue as to good ones. As in low crime, low suicide, low unemployment, high life satisfaction, attractive buildings, good scenery, etc. Or history or whatever basis you deem to make a place good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,241,401 times
looks like a bunch of crappy little towns to me.

i guess the only one that looks appealing to me is Columbia, TN because I lived there for a time, but believe me when I say it's NOT a "good" area. drugs, shootings, bad schools oh my!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:25 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,898,155 times
My fav, Manhattan KS is on the list. Interesting to see the Hawaiian towns on the list too. Obviously, like all small rural towns that lose their young population to more urban areas, looks like Roswell's aliens have moved on to the big city too.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:30 AM

8,292 posts, read 23,127,291 times
This rankings or list is a joke! they have Whitewater WI on their at 100K and whitewater is 12K and nothing around the city for Miles on end!

Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,574,518 times
Williston, North Dakota seems pretty low in crime. Seems to have a poor economy though.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Willis...th-Dakota.html

As for the list itself I don't really trust Wikipedia, but I think they're going on the US census list. Maybe not though so I'll link to the census.

http://www.census.gov/population/www...les/tab03b.xls

It's a bit dated and you have to scroll down a bit, 410th row, to get to the micropolitans. However the census does list Whitewater, Wisconsin as a micropolitan statistical area of 93,759. Don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by Thomas R.; 09-11-2009 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 08:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
nothing around the city for Miles on end!
It appears the cities have to be outside of the MSA, which is why there's nothing outside the city you mentioned. Perhaps the micro's territory includes all of the area between MSAs and it just happens to be the largest city in that territory?

I was puzzled why my hometown in Ohio wasn't listed there until I remembered it's part of the MSA of the large city in the next county. One of the flaws of relying on this list is that you'll miss some similarly-sized cities that are part of MSAs, but whose connection to the metro area is purely statistical. That proximity to the metro area might be more likely to enable some of that "goodness" than a place that's more remote.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:19 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,154,766 times
I will pick Key West, FL. There are a lot of podunk places on that list I have never even heard of.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:13 AM

23,483 posts, read 44,141,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
looks like a bunch of crappy little towns to me.

i guess the only one that looks appealing to me is Columbia, TN because I lived there for a time, but believe me when I say it's NOT a "good" area. drugs, shootings, bad schools oh my!
So you went through the entire list provided here and are dismissing them all as 'crappy little towns'? Brilliant.
There are plenty of communities on here that jump out at me as being excellent places to live IME...

Daphne-Fairhope-Foley, AL
Salisbury, NC
New Bern, NC
Gettysburg, PA
Bozeman, MT
Keene, NH
Key West, FL
Lincolnton, NC (sister lives there and loves it)
Port Angeles, WA (beautiful; in-laws live there most of the year)
Klamath Falls, OR
Statesboro, GA (pretty university town)
LaGrange, GA (same as above)
Rutland, VT (one of my fave NE towns)
Georgetown, SC
I guess I could go on, but these are some of the towns that I eyeballed and have visited. They left me with a great impression.

And you are correct about Columbia, TN...it leaves quite a bit to be desired, although I do like the nearby towns of Murphreesboro, Franklin and Pulaski.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:19 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,797,492 times
They have to grab the population of the county typically for these microSA's (as is typically done for the MSA's, other than in New England). That's why Corning, NY has twice the population of Cortland, NY. When things get small the imperfect nature of political mirroring of current economic-social geography really becomes apparent.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,539,388 times
Eureka-Arcata, CA
Traverse City, MI
concord, nh
coos bay, or
whitewater, wi
key west, fl
durango, co
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City