Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 09:27 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
An accent is a manner of pronunciation.

Those were not pronunciations, they were just you typing what your interpretations of what you think people say.

I live in the south and have never heard anyone say owl for all, caowl for call, foul for fall, etc.
And I heard PO-leese in long before I ever moved south.
travel to other parts of the south.
places like TN, AL, GA, SC, TX, etc. have ppl that pronounce words the exact way that i typed them in my last post.

lol @ this. now ppl don't even want to acknowledge their own accent.

lol @ a southerner saying that they never heard ppl pronounce the word thing like thang, call like cowl, fall like fowl, etc.

lol @ this bull. yeah, ok.

should i post youtube clips of southerners speaking like that?
maybe i should post a skit from project pat's mista don't play??

or grab a random gucci mane song off of the net and post it. or swisha house. or soulja boy. or, etc. etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 09:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Many polls with NY winning could have the same thing said.....

Sour grapes

No, because those polls results don't jump 30 votes in 2 days after the poll's been around for 2 weeks.

I know people love NYC accents. Wherever I travel people tell me they love my accent. I don't need a poll on a message board to tell me different

Old 10-08-2009, 09:30 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
travel to other parts of the south.
places like TN, AL, GA, SC, TX, etc. have ppl that pronounce words the exact way that i typed them in my last post.

lol @ this. now ppl don't even want to acknowledge their own accent.

lol @ a southerner saying that they never heard ppl pronounce the word thing like thang, call like cowl, fall like fowl, etc.

lol @ this bull. yeah, ok.

should i post youtube clips of southerners speaking like that?
lol @ you calling Mike a Southerner. He's from the Bronx.

I've lived in North Georgia for 23 years, and I have NEVER heard ANYONE pronounce ANY of those words the way you IMAGINE that they are pronounced in your little fantasy.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:31 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
lol @ you calling Mike a Southerner. He's from the Bronx.

I've lived in North Georgia for 23 years, and I have NEVER heard ANYONE pronounce ANY of those words the way you IMAGINE that they are pronounced in your little fantasy.
LOLOLOL!!!!!

i believe you.

soon as i get off of work i'm posting youtube clips.
the denial is strong. excuse me, straooowng.

*edit*
and mike needs to stop hanging out with transplants and interact with locals. then again, he's in FL so he's less likely to hear what i posted unless he's hanging out in areas he probably shouldn't be in.

i once dated a girl from miami that would say stuff like chirrdren. no, she didn't have your "typical" southern accent, but the pronunciation of certain words and the drawing out of words was still there. it is what it is.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:34 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
OMG!!! Will someone please close this forum!!!!! PLZ

Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCounty View Post
Design and Build : This next statement is probably a really huge shock for you...... NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT YOU DO! Miami is the only place in the south that doesn't have the hey yall culture, which I HATE with a passion.
You watch too much television.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, because those polls results don't jump 30 votes in 2 days after the poll's been around for 2 weeks.

I know people love NYC accents. Wherever I travel people tell me they love my accent. I don't need a poll on a message board to tell me different
Why do I think you'd be singing a different tune if the poll results were the opposite of what they are?

Seems as if the same tired claim is trotted out any time the South trumps the North/Northeast in ANY type of poll, accent or ortherwise.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Why do I think you'd be singing a different tune if the poll results were the opposite of what they are?

Seems to be the same tired claim is trotted out any time the South trumps the North/Northeast in ANY type of poll, accent or ortherwise.

I honestly don't care. Most people would believe what 90% of people tell them in person, rather than a poll on a message board.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:40 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
I honestly don't care. Most people would believe what 90% of people tell them in person, rather than a poll on a message board.
So now there's no need to discuss it anymore since this is a message board...right?

Old 10-08-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Of course you don't care. Unless the poll is going the way you want it to, then it's instantly legit - right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City