Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 07:49 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
So I guess this must just be on the internet huh? Because when I am up north and talking to real people, not online aliases , people always comment on my accent, and the girls always say its sexy. And to be honest I really dont have a GA accent, my moms from Philly and my pops from the Chi so my real accent is a mix of their accents. But when I go up north I flex or put on extra hard and put on a GA accent just because it gets me play. I go out of my way to say things like "right chere" or "shawty" knowing good and dang well I dont talk like that at the crib all because I know if I put on the GA accent its easy to get laid up top. All this online hate towards the south exists only online because when Im up in Philly, DC, Jersey City or NYC I get shown nothing but love.
Good post, I tried to rep you but had to spread it around. I'm probably lame for this, but I tried to put on Sean Paul type of accent when I was in middle school (only did it to girls from up North). I was trying to put on that Dirty South gangsta accent but I kept slipping in and out of it (that was the clown in me). I never get hated on when I'm up North(east), matter of fact, last time my family was in Brooklyn two women stopped and asked my sister if she was from the South and they gave her compliments on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I hear that, I know occasionally it looks like I'm getting at other places but it's just me defending my city, I was mostly neutral this whole debate because my accent is mixed with NYC and Southern. I don't know why the South gets attacked so much on here though, I love the South and want to live there in the future.
You're actually on of the better posters on here and I understand it when you have to step up to some Southerners who slam your region or city. I have nothing but love for the North(east) and actually enjoy the friendly rivalry but it gets stupid when it turns bitter and sweeping generalizations are made. If I was from the West Coast, I would still think that the Civil War was being fought in the minds of both Northerners and Southerners. One last thing, you probably sound like a New Orleanian with your accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
lol at this foolishness.

as if women, due to their accents, sound like men.

have fun with your:

yeah, mane, i was at the sto' the utha day with my sustah gon' to git some cone bread, you na i mean, mane? the PO-lease pulled up and tried to give a dude a charge, mane...on some old bull, but i won't even there. i won't there when the crime happened, you know mane?

yeah, mane, it happened in JEW-lie, right? i heard about that, bo'. dem dudes had them THANGS out. then them boys down the screet caowled the PO-lease.

thats really got the ladies on aquafina status.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 PM

444 posts, read 1,143,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
lol at this foolishness.

As if women, due to their accents, sound like men.

Have fun with your:

Yeah, mane, i was at the sto' the utha day with my sustah gon' to git some cone bread, you na i mean, mane? The po-lease pulled up and tried to give a dude a charge, mane...on some old bull, but i won't even there. I won't there when the crime happened, you know mane?

Yeah, mane, it happened in jew-lie, right? I heard about that, bo'. Dem dudes had them thangs out. Then them boys down the screet caowled the po-lease.

Thats really got the ladies on aquafina status.
in your state!!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:30 PM
eek

that'll have women throwing aquafina bottles at you.

most will laugh and call a person country. not saying i agree with that but it is what it is.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:41 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,617,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I have heard Rachael talk and she doesn't sound manly so

So I've have heard the southern girls talk that she say sound redneckish so back at ya!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
lol at this foolishness.

as if women, due to their accents, sound like men.

have fun with your:

yeah, mane, i was at the sto' the utha day with my sustah gon' to git some cone bread, you na i mean, mane? the PO-lease pulled up and tried to give a dude a charge, mane...on some old bull, but i won't even there. i won't there when the crime happened, you know mane?

yeah, mane, it happened in JEW-lie, right? i heard about that, bo'. dem dudes had them THANGS out. then them boys down the screet caowled the PO-lease.

thats really got the ladies on aquafina status.
Who's this directed at? I know of some people who speak like this so I'll help you out some: da/dee for the, ta for to, uh for a, chu-awge for charge, ol' for old, ah for I. It's wa'ent for wasn't, dere for there, ya for you. I can't help you with bo' because I have no idea what that means (did you mean bro'?). Hopefully, this data on that accent can help you understand them better but I doubt it.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:46 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
that'll have women throwing aquafina bottles at you.

most will laugh and call a person country. not saying i agree with that but it is what it is.
Lol...I had to laugh at that one.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:50 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Go to central park and listen to one of the BUMS lying beside the birds!!!

YouTube - Crazy guy on the L train

nyc bums >>

(i mean...he wasn't a bum, but he was bum status that day, haha)

*edit*
son...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEgxnmt-KQ

wth???

Old 10-07-2009, 10:45 PM

110 posts, read 101,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Go to central park and listen to one of the BUMS lying beside the birds!!!
I would be more than happy to go to Central Park. Why? Because it is the most famous and iconic park in the world. You making fun of Central Park goes back to culture, which I wouldn't expect a southerner to understand.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:46 PM

110 posts, read 101,436 times
Design and Build : This next statement is probably a really huge shock for you...... NOT EVERYONE LIKES WHAT YOU DO! Miami is the only place in the south that doesn't have the hey yall culture, which I HATE with a passion.

Last edited by HudsonCounty; 10-07-2009 at 11:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City