Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which accent do you like better? North or Southern accent?
Northen Accent 229 49.67%
Southern Accent 232 50.33%
Voters: 461. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 02:05 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,803,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
first off, you don't have to educate me on a thing. i graduated from college a few years ago.

second thing... reading is fundamental. i promise you.

where did i say that i think that accent = education level? point it out.

third thing. accent does make ppl pay attention to what you say, if they are not used to hearing the accent. put a person from ny in a rural part of anywheresville, usa and they will raise eyebrows. put a person from new orleans in ny, for that matter, and they will raise eyebrows as well.

accent is a "big" deal. this thread was made for a reason.

fourth...did i ask you what you were interested in? oh ok.
1. Let me get this straight...when you graduate from college, you know everything and need no further education? As an educator and lifelong learner, I have to disagree.

2. Right here is where you said it: "a southern person opens their mouth and ppl think they're slow, uneducated, etc." That simply is not true.

3. What if you put a person from NY in rural NY? Will the accent raise eyebrows? I think you are confusing rural (country) with southern. They are two totally different concepts.

4. You don't have to ask me something in order to get a response. You merely have to make a statement to which I feel obligated to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
i promise you that the ny accent is iconic.
Not so, according to the results of the thread poll...it's not an endearing accent to most of the world.

Oh yeah, iconic to who - New Yorkers?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:11 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,731,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
1. Let me get this straight...when you graduate from college, you know everything and need no further education? As an educator and lifelong learner, I have to disagree.
...no. what you need to get right is what i said. reread my post.

Quote:
2. Right here is where you said it: "a southern person opens their mouth and ppl think they're slow, uneducated, etc." That simply is not true.
"and ppl" does not equal "and eek."

a lot of ppl buy into stereotypes. the world is round. the pope is catholic.

*shrugs*

Quote:
3. What if you put a person from NY in rural NY? Will the accent raise eyebrows? I think you are confusing rural (country) with southern. They are two totally different concepts.
what do you think? NYC is part of NYS. thats a pretty stupid question, to be honest.

i'm not confusing anything. i was trying to say that if you put a person from NYC in the west, the southwest, the southeast, the mid-etc. etc. that person will raise eyebrows when they speak.

its the same as a person from new orleans or boston or someplace speaking oustide of his/her state and/or region.

Quote:
Not so, according to the results of the thread poll...it's not an endearing accent to most of the world.

Oh yeah, iconic to who - New Yorkers?
this section of CD represents a small fraction of ppl scattered throughout the u.s.

i think that the world has more of a say so than CD.

NYC in general is iconic. know about it.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
Please tell me yall arent sitting here arguing about which accent "gets more play". C'mon y'all grow up.

A lot of women tend to be drawn to men that are from a different place from them. They consider it kind of "exotic". Same reason why when I was in high school in Killeen we had a lot of dudes from New York that would get a lot of attention from the girls.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:20 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,069 times
And I kind of like both accents. Depends on who's speaking.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:37 PM

Quote:
...no. what you need to get right is what i said. reread my post.

"and ppl" does not equal "and eek."

a lot of ppl buy into stereotypes. the world is round. the pope is catholic.

*shrugs*

what do you think? NYC is part of NYS. thats a pretty stupid question, to be honest.

i'm not confusing anything. i was trying to say that if you put a person from NYC in the west, the southwest, the southeast, the mid-etc. etc. that person will raise eyebrows when they speak.

its the same as a person from new orleans or boston or someplace speaking oustide of his/her state and/or region.

this section of CD represents a small fraction of ppl scattered throughout the u.s.

i think that the world has more of a say so than CD.

NYC in general is iconic. know about it.
That's a bunch of mess...you keep saying things, but then you say you didn't say them. I can't have a discussion with someone like that.

So tell us...what does "the world" say about accents? Please share your statistics regarding this subject and how you obtained the information.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Please tell me yall arent sitting here arguing about which accent "gets more play". C'mon y'all grow up.

A lot of women tend to be drawn to men that are from a different place from them. They consider it kind of "exotic". Same reason why when I was in high school in Killeen we had a lot of dudes from New York that would get a lot of attention from the girls.
I have to tell you...I have NEVER heard of anyone saying that a New York accent is "cute" or "sexy". I have, however heard it said of a southern accent MANY times. That's what I am talking about when I say it "gets more play".

Old 10-07-2009, 02:42 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
I have NEVER heard of anyone saying that a New York accent is "cute" or "sexy".
I hear it all the time. People love Northeast accents.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:43 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,777 times
Quote:
travel up rather than down and see if your accent gets you play.
I find it hilarious that you assume that I was somewhere else in the south. To be honest, there really isnt anywhere else in the south I like to visit except MIA, N.O., or Texas. And I was up north by the way, the last time that happened I was in Club Fluid in Philadelphia and this chick heard me talking to my cousins and just became enamored with my accent, she said I talked and looked like a tall TI (which I dont). Long story short we exchanged numbers and the day before I left we "did the do" so to speak.. And that wasn't an isolated incident, when I lived in DC I used to have girls say my accent was sexy all the time. Some freinds and I went to Chicago a few years back, and one of my homeboys looks and sounds like a stereotypical GA dude, he has a real thick GA accent, dreadlocks, and he is built like a football player. Man he got so much play on that trip it wasn't funny. We were in a bar getting faded and this group of drunk chicks kept buying him drinks just so he would say a southern word like "shawty", I thought they were just entertaining themselves but next thing I know I look up and he is going home with one of them for the night. He came back to the hotel the next day like 6pm, looking like he had won the Super Bowl

Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,697,811 times
Quote:
I have to tell you...I have NEVER heard of anyone saying that a New York accent is "cute" or "sexy". I have, however heard it said of a southern accent MANY times. That's what I am talking about when I say it "gets more play".
I do not think this is true. The NY accent is the sexiest. Even 50 cent on a song says "they like my accent cuz im from NY, something like that."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City