Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has a better skyline?
Boston 61 27.23%
Philly 170 75.89%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 10:18 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,854,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
Templetown google images search (am I missing something) - https://www.google.com/search?q=kend...w=1441&bih=710
A "W"?

But your big problem is that you seem to be treating something quite subjective as if it's objective.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:33 AM

6,806 posts, read 6,031,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
A "W"?

But your big problem is that you seem to be treating something quite subjective as if it's objective.
That's true, to a certain extent I guess....

But the thing is, I've been explaining my personal subjective reasons as to why I think Boston's skyline looks better, if that makes sense.

And I still haven't heard anyone give me a good reason as to why they think Philly's is better.

All I seen is this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjun18 View Post
Boston is a great city, but if there is one thing I dont like about it, its def the skyline.
Philly easily takes this.
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
Philadelphia. No doubt.
and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toure View Post
Because it has a better skyline....
No explanaition whatsoever.

Philly's skyline is better....just because....it is.......

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post

Boston has better architecture?! Since when? Haha.
Which was better, but still not backed up very well. The argument still had an air of "Philly's better and that's just the way it is"...

There have been some half decent pro-Boston responses though

like this

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocoto View Post
Most (Not all) tall buildings are office buildings. Boston and Cambridge have over 80M sq ft of office wile Philly has ~43M. Boston has a much larger skyline in terms of volume and between the JHT, custom house ad others plenty of iconic buildings. Philly has taller buildings but fewer 500 footers. Boston also has lovely ocean and river backdrops. Juding skylines from photos is not very easy. IMO, in person Boston is more encompassing and impressive.

and this

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantiX View Post
Boston.

Cant beat the ocean view
which offer at least some explanation

I'm okay with people honestly thinking that Philly's skyline is superior.

As you said, its entirely subjective.

I just want to hear some quality reasoning!

Old 02-12-2013, 11:42 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
I just want to hear some quality reasoning!
I much prefer the symmetry and balance of the Philadelphia skyline, the height and the density of the buildings themselves. It comes together to form a peak in the middle that I find rather pleasant. Boston's skyline looks kind of spread out and nothing extremely memorable about it.

The Philadelphia skyline is also much more viewable and part of the cityscape than Boston's is. The best place to view the Boston skyline is in the ocean and not many people are in the Ocean everyday. The gridded streets in Philly also give you more chances to see the skyline in the distance while the nonsensical streets in Boston limit views.

I don't know why you keep saying Philadelphia's buildings are bland but the architecture of the two cities are VERY similar, with Philadelphia probably having even more ornate pre-war buildings (just a guess, not a skyscraper geek). I've always heard Philadelphia described as one of the best cities architectually.

Anyway, I think both Boston and Philadelphia have very underrated skylines.

http://images.fineartamerica.com/images-medium-large/philadelphia-skyline-2005-duncan-pearson.jpg

http://iflyattas.com/wphome/wp-conte...ine-aerial.jpg

http://www.uwishunu.com/wp-content/u..._bkrist_uw.jpg

http://img3.etsystatic.com/003/0/545...18199_hyns.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 02-12-2013 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Please follow the rules for posting images.

Old 02-12-2013, 09:16 PM

848 posts, read 1,119,728 times
Philadelphia.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:39 PM

778 posts, read 997,695 times
Philly.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:15 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times
Philly, nuff said.

Old 03-25-2014, 06:19 PM

222 posts, read 578,836 times
I see the voters have chosen Philly well over almost twice as much as Boston and I couldn't agree more. Philly has a more NYC look to it's skyline and also has a more major look than bost I like Philly hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City