Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: where would you prefer to live?
Colorado 50 84.75%
Utah 9 15.25%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:42 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,914,972 times

Advertisements

Colorado. The politics definitely fit with me better and I already have a bunch of friends out there, whereas I know barely anyone in Utah. However, I was verrry tempted to say Utah simply because of the quality of the snow. When it comes down to it, these are two very cool states and I enjoyed my time spent in both of them (not in SLC. SLC was freakin' lame, but the national parks of Utah are outstanding!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 08:49 AM

8 posts, read 26,721 times
Utah has some beautiful places. I lived there for 6 years. However, I could not stand the people, culture, and SLC did not offer much as far as nightlife at all. Denver is so much better and the people are great. The fly fishing in CO is superior to UT as well. Very few rivers out there. I dont know if you can beat the ski commute Utah had though.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:48 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,942 times
Although I think Utah is a prettier state, for day to day living Colorado hands down.

And this is coming from someone who used to live in Utah (granted it was a long time ago).

Old 08-02-2010, 11:47 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,254,520 times
Both states are stunningly beautiful, but I would definitely go with Colorado, mainly because of Denver.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:56 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,813,368 times
Utah has some of the most notable beauty in the nation, but CO is stunning too- I'd rather live in CO because I like Denver more than SLC.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,812,104 times
Utah has the St George/Hurricane area (Utah's Dixie) an extremely mild winter climate where fan palms even grow. That's something Colorado does not have.
Zion,Canyonlands,Moab...very cool places! I too prefer Colorado, but Utah is a very scenic state indeed.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:08 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,698,966 times
Colorado FTW!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM

291 posts, read 688,783 times
Welcome to the PAC-12

Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 AM

529 posts, read 1,547,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaneMan1992 View Post
Did you forget about the 2002 Olympics? Utah vs. BYU? Sundance film fest? Park City? How about the international mountain biking mecca that IS Moab?? Or about a half dozen ski resorts within a half hour drive of Salt Lake? Where else can you ski at a world class resort after work and be back for dinner (OK fine...it would have to be a late dinner)?

Utah = Mormons is so uninformed...take it from someone who lived in SLC for 5 years.

Plus...when Denver starts measuring its snow in feet, we get a few inches in Town, and it melts the next day, and we play golf the day after.
I know this is thread is old but I had to comment.

All you're saying is that skiing is closer to SLC than it is to Denver, that might matter alot to you but it doesn't mean anything else other than that.

Moab is incredible but Colorado has just as good mountain biking just in a different setting, yet Fruita, CO is pretty similar to Moab in terms of quality and scenery just a little smaller.

Everything else you mention, Colorado also has!

Also Salt Lake city usually gets more snow than Denver with less sunshine and consistently colder temps. I have no idea what you're weather comment is based upon, is it just because one time Denver got snow when SLC didn't? Yeah this happens and vice versa. Did you not know this?

Overall both states are very beautiful. Yes Utah has mountains and the Canyons and formations of southern Utah, but Colorado has alot more mountains with some of the scenery similar to southern Utah. You could say it's a trade off and depends on what's more important to you!

Utah is always said to be more beautiful than Colorado by people as a "fact" and it's just the LDS church that is holding it back. WHAT? The latter is true but the former makes no sense.

Beauty is an opinion and Utah has terrain that is more varied, Utah mountains are as impressive as mountains in Colorado but there are so many more mountains in Colorado with more variety than there are in Utah. I'm not saying either has superior beauty, but where does this mindset about Utah come from? If people can see that saying Colorado is more beautiful just because there are more mountains as being just opinionative and crazy, why can't they see that saying just because Utah has Arches and Canyonlands for the reason Utah is more beautiful is also just an opinion and crazy?

It's like saying Florida is more Beautiful than Colorado or Utah just because of the Ocean and the Everglades.

Utah has Canyonlands and Arches, etc, but Colorado has similar terrain to this just much less of it. See my point here?

Colorado has Black Canyon of the Gunnison that Utah lacks, it's a huge canyon that drops 2,500 feet in one mile and is as narrow as 20 feet and over 20 miles long! Colorado also has a huge field of 800ft sand dunes against 14,000ft mountains which Utah also lacks. But if I were to say Colorado is more beautiful that Utah for strictly these reasons that would be stupid, so why can't people see it the other way around when referring to Utah as more beautiful for the same reasons?

Last edited by JMM64; 01-04-2013 at 03:43 AM..

Old 01-04-2013, 03:35 AM

529 posts, read 1,547,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott5280 View Post
Utah has the St George/Hurricane area (Utah's Dixie) an extremely mild winter climate where fan palms even grow. That's something Colorado does not have.
Zion,Canyonlands,Moab...very cool places! I too prefer Colorado, but Utah is a very scenic state indeed.
Southern Utah is mild compared to SLC, Grand Junction CO also has a similar climate to southern Utah, but saying Utah has a milder climate as a whole is totally false. SLC Utah is colder and snowier than Denver in the winter with less sunshine. Sure fan palms grow in southern Utah, but most of the state is another story. Go anywhere in Utah along the Wasatch front and then tell me Utah is milder than Colorado!

The area around Grand Junction CO and Pueblo CO is also very mild compared to the rest of Colorado and similar to southern Utah, but again this is just part of Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City