Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which skyline do you think is better?
Oklahoma City 65 45.45%
Tampa 78 54.55%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:38 PM

631 posts, read 1,574,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A new 50 story tower won't throw OKC into the upper tier cities. Its moving up yes, but its just now getting on the level of cities like Memphis and Nashville. Its decades away from being on the level of the true upper tier cities. I have lived in OKC and one thing I will say is the culture and way of life there is very backward for a city its size. People de-emphasize culture and diversity and focus on church and family. Nothing inherently wrong with that except it drives away the creative class, which is an absolutely ESSENTIAL component in a truly major city. Go to any OKC forum and see the complaints about the younger generation leaving in droves for Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc. In essence, OKC is a medium sized metro that thinks its a small, southern town. In 2010, that model no longer works. OKC is growing because of the energy boom that hasn't suffered during this recession but once that is over, the city will have to re-invent itself if it wants to stay relevant.
Now sure how you took my statement but it wasn't the correct way.

If you were thinking that I was judging the city as a whole think again

Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Having lived in OK City for the majority of my life, I agree with much of what you have written here. I would only make one minor amendment and that is that OK City is technically a Southern city. Other than that, I think you're spot on.
I'm well aware that OKC is a southern city, but to me it looks like it belongs in the Mid-West. However you can't deny that it is a Plains State city.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:11 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,689,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TB Fla View Post
Being from Tampa, I don't think those pictures do my city justice. Here are some newer pics that capture more of Tampa's skyline from different angles than the same old tired overdone pics

very nice photos

Old 03-21-2010, 05:46 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eon-krate32 View Post
I'm well aware that OKC is a southern city, but to me it looks like it belongs in the Mid-West. However you can't deny that it is a Plains State city.
Absolutely.

In the topographical sense, some of Oklahoma along with parts of northern Texas are part of the Southern Plains.

Either way, I thought your intimation in comparing the OK City and Tampa skylines was insightful.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Absolutely.

In the topographical sense, some of Oklahoma along with parts of northern Texas are part of the Southern Plains.

Either way, I thought your intimation in comparing the OK City and Tampa skylines was insightful.
Thank you.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM

196 posts, read 457,887 times
Tampa for now

Old 03-21-2010, 08:48 PM

902 posts, read 2,786,757 times
For me it is OKC by a wide margin. I have seen both in person and been to both cities respective downtowns and OKC has the better skyling and downtown easily.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:01 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Quote:
Absolutely.

I'm not sure I agree OKC is a southern city. It really is on the borderline of being midwest/southern. This has alway been an argument in OKC...but it really is an "in-between" city.

I voted for Tampa, as there have been major talls built in the past 15 years. OKC has this new super-tall coming, (Devon), but until then, it is Tampa.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
I'm not sure I agree OKC is a southern city. It really is on the borderline of being midwest/southern. This has alway been an argument in OKC...but it really is an "in-between" city.

I voted for Tampa, as there have been major talls built in the past 15 years. OKC has this new super-tall coming, (Devon), but until then, it is Tampa.
>>>>>
<<<<<

Interesting perspective. In my experience, the argument seems to only lie with non-Okies, especially from the West. (When I lived on the East coast all considered Oklahoma part of the South...along with Arkansas and Texas. Also, I have spent extensive time in the true Midwest = Iowa, Nebraska, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Kansas, etc. and I've never heard them group Oklahoma in with their states/Midwest.)

When I lived on the West coast for a time, two folks from California called Oklahoma (and Texas) the Midwest. (That was only two people out of many, however. All others considered Oklahoma along with TX and AR Southern.) Grouping Oklahoma in with the Midwest was very strange to my Oklahoma ears as we were taught that Oklahoma was the western-most boundary of the South (like Virginia and the Carolinas are the eastern-most boundary)....a mixture of the 'ol Southwest culture of Cowboys/Ranchers/Native Americans mixed with the Southern semblances.

Most importantly, I've yet to meet any any native/born&bread Okies that would call themselves Midwestern. Mostly will claim "Okie" first and "Southern" second as common monikers.

In terms of cities, OK City/Tulsa share much more cultural commonality with Fort Worth/Dallas, Lubbuck, Amarillo, Little Rock/Fayetteville, Nashville, etc. If you don't think OK City is Southern in its culture you would probably have to remove the Southern status of some of the other cities I've mentioned here as well.

Certainly, parts of Oklahoma/Texas share topographical traits with the "plainsy" parts of the Midwest. However, I think a better argument/discussion would be that Oklahoma stands as the regional overlap between the South and Southwest/West (not Midwest).

Either way, we're way off topic from the OP's question, so I'll just shut it now, haha.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Divisions.PNG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ern_states.png

Last edited by JMT; 12-04-2012 at 02:53 AM..

Old 03-21-2010, 09:41 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,661,729 times
Good maps, and I agree, OKC is certainly borderline when it comes to regions.

Truth is, OKC is not midwest, but is it really southern? I think it kind of falls in between.

Doesn't OKC have a suburb called "Midwest City"? Just askin'.

How about "southern plains"? That probably best describes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City