Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 12:51 PM

1,991 posts, read 3,968,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't need to tell you what you've been attacking...you already know.
LOL! Many people believe they don't need to prove an accusation they assert against someone else. The accusation against me therefore disintegrates on lack of evidence. That was easy.

Like Akhenaton06 said and I agreed with in this thread,
Charlotte excels in some areas, and Nashville excels in others.

Oh, but that's right, you didn't read that post because you said you haven't read where I've been positive about ANY city. Well, if people are only going to cherry pick posts to read, it's no wonder when they get it wrong.

Quote:
And don't worry, I've now fixed it so I don't have to read ANY of them anymore.
I suppose there's no shame in people resorting to the fingers in the ears, eyes closed, and LALALALALA approach. That's a perfectly valid tactic for many. Hey, we all do what we have to to get by.

Last edited by MantaRay; 10-13-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Quote:
And no, I haven't read anything positive that you have posted - about any city.
WOW, that means you've even totally missed the positive things I've said about Nashville in THIS thread. That's some MAJOR post-skipping for somebody concluding as much as you have about what I've posted.

Quote:
And don't worry, I've now fixed it so I don't have to read ANY of them anymore.
You already seemingly admitting you haven't even read the posts in here where I've spoken positively about a city, Nashville to be specific, seems to indicate that you ALREADY weren't reading them.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:52 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
And if you'll go back and check you'll see that it was someone else who first started disparaging my posts about MSA to make their city seem SOOOO far ahead of another city. I mean really.
The FACTS speak for themselves.

Nashville | Emporis.com
Charlotte | Emporis.com

Now, if you still believe that there is only a "slight" difference in metro Charlotte vs metro Nashville, please explain to us why Charlotte's metro (and GDP) is 50% larger than Nashville. Are you suggesting that Charlotte (a "slightly" larger metro than Nashville) is capable of producing a 50% larger GDP?

I knew from the start that this thread was an economic (which city is better) thread. That is why the FIRST thing I brought up was the metro size difference. That way, Nashville folks had an "out" when the question of GDP size difference would (eventually) come up (which it did). To foolishly ignore the fact that Charlotte has nearly 800,000 more people in its metro area than Nashville puts Nashville in an unfair position. You guys would be forced to explain why Nashville is not keeping up with a "comparable sized" southern metro. The truth is Charlotte and Nashville are not "comparable sized" metros. Metro Charlotte is 50% more populated. As a result, metro Charlotte has a 50% larger GDP. It is that simple.

There is a reason why NYC has the largest GDP in America (and Atlanta has the 10th largest GDP). It is because NYC is the largest metro (and metro Atlanta is close to being the Nation's 10th largest). Metro Charlotte is the Nation's 20th largest CSA region (and we have the Nation's 21st largest GDP). Nashville's metro size is in the top 40 (and Nashville's GDP is in the top 40).

As much as YOU try to argue populations back and forth with me Manta, give me some credit. I have atleast taken the time to study many of the stats and numbers you have chosen to ignore. It is "all good" that you feel Nashville and Charlotte are only "slightly" different in metro population. However, what YOU FEEL is subjective. I have NOT posted "what I felt". I have posted what it is.

Again, if metro Charlotte and metro Nashville are only "slightly" different in size; I would LOVE to hear your explanation as to why Charlotte has a 50% larger GDP than Nashville.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,071 times
Quote:
That "joke" carries 250,000 riders/day and is the 7th largest system in the nation. The joke is that you didn't have any idea and simply posted what you had heard online. It became truly obvious by the way you spelled Gwinnett County (Gwenneth?).

That doesn't mean its less of a joke, so what if people are forced to use it, it can still be a joke. If I say my job is a joke and don't have any other job, what does that mean. I've done my research and facts.

It is easy to live without a car in Atlanta...thousands of people do it If you're talking the suburbs, talk about the suburbs - if you're talking about the city, talk about the city; although, MARTA does go to several suburbs...which I listed in an earlier post and you chose to ignore them - so I won't list them again.

Don't mislead people into thinking its easy to live without a car, because thousands of people manage it doesn't mean its easy, and there are millions of people in atlanta.

Speaking of which 250,000 riders is small fries compared to metro Atlanta's population, thanks for that.

Before you try to trash something, at least do a little research first. And what is with the different colored/bold type? Do you see anyone else using crap like that? It's irritating.

I have done my research, martha is a joke, perhaps if the government took transportation more seriously it wouldn't be a joke, its partially constructive criticism, and most atlanta's will tell you that.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech2enable View Post
I have done my research, martha is a joke, perhaps if the government took transportation more seriously it wouldn't be a joke, its partially constructive criticism, and most atlanta's will tell you that.
I guess the 250,000 Atlantans who depend on it everyday wouldn't agree. Again, people who don't know what they are talking about and have "heard" that MARTA doesn't go anywhere and nobody rides tend to come off sounding a little ignorant.

Martha? I've never heard anybody call it that in my 20 years of living in Atlanta.

250,000 makes it the 7th highest ridership in the nation...NOT small fries for the U.S. Really - do some research first. Where exactly does your MARTA "expertise" come from? Mine knowledge comes from daily living in the city and using MARTA for many years.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:49 PM

Well, since no one has answered why Charlotte's GDP is 50% larger than Nashville's, here are a few Charlotte pics. These pics were all taken from the Ritz-Carlton hotel Uptown.

on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/3981334886/in/set-72157622391418025/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/3980652097/sizes/l/in/set-72157622391418025/ - broken link)

Flickr Photo Download: (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cosmophotos/3980641315/sizes/l/in/set-72157622391418025/ - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
How about we also include the downtown parks. At least then two of those places will have some decent pics to display.
Charlotte lacks a large traditional styled "central park". Freedom Park's relatively short distance from Uptown has alot to do with this. However, Uptown Charlotte has some nice smaller urban parks that are in the heart of Uptown.

The Green

Brown is the New Green 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SH106794 - oops! on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SH102394 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

SH102384 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Marshall Park

Charlotte, NC at night on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

ic2324.JPG on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Marshall Park at night on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Snow in Charlotte - Marshall Park on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Thomas Polk Park

Thomas Polk Park 1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The truth is EVERY town (large or small) has some sort of urban/downtown park (or park-like) gathering place. This is kinda why I am having a hard time with the entire "we've got better parks" argument. To me, this "park tangent" just seems like a poster's desperate attempt to win a debate he lost 3 pages back.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-13-2009 at 07:53 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,304,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post

Nashville | Emporis.com
Charlotte | Emporis.com

Now, if you still believe that there is only a "slight" difference in metro Charlotte vs metro Nashville, please explain to us why Charlotte's metro (and GDP) is 50% larger than Nashville. Are you suggesting that Charlotte (a "slightly" larger metro than Nashville) is capable of producing a 50% larger GDP?

I knew from the start that this thread was an economic (which city is better) thread. That is why the FIRST thing I brought up was the metro size difference. That way, Nashville folks had an "out" when the question of GDP size difference would (eventually) come up (which it did). To foolishly ignore the fact that Charlotte has nearly 800,000 more people in its metro area than Nashville puts Nashville in an unfair position. You guys would be forced to explain why Nashville is not keeping up with a "comparable sized" southern metro. The truth is Charlotte and Nashville are not "comparable sized" metros. Metro Charlotte is 50% more populated. As a result, metro Charlotte has a 50% larger GDP. It is that simple.

There is a reason why NYC has the largest GDP in America (and Atlanta has the 10th largest GDP). It is because NYC is the largest metro (and metro Atlanta is close to being the Nation's 10th largest). Metro Charlotte is the Nation's 20th largest CSA region (and we have the Nation's 21st largest GDP). Nashville's metro size is in the top 40 (and Nashville's GDP is in the top 40).

As much as YOU try to argue populations back and forth with me Manta, give me some credit. I have atleast taken the time to study many of the stats and numbers you have chosen to ignore. It is "all good" that you feel Nashville and Charlotte are only "slightly" different in metro population. However, what YOU FEEL is subjective. I have NOT posted "what I felt". I have posted what it is.

Again, if metro Charlotte and metro Nashville are only "slightly" different in size; I would LOVE to hear your explanation as to why Charlotte has a 50% larger GDP than Nashville.
I've been trying to get someone to answer this question to no avail. But at least Nashville has more greenways.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I've been trying to get someone to answer this question to no avail. But at least Nashville has more greenways.
LOL!!! I know right! I have NEVER seen a city vs city debate take such a weird tangent (which city has more outdoor activities?) Especially when both towns are NOT known for being outdoor cities. Then to top it all off; it was found that Charlotte actually ranked higher than Nashville on this weird topic.

I think Charlotte's higher outdoor ranking may have been an embarrassment to our Nashville friends. It is obvious that Nashville prides itself on being an outdoor city. To be ranked lower than Charlotte (a city without a downtown river) has obviously insulted a few folks from the Music City.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:38 PM

656 posts, read 1,420,071 times
Quote:
I guess the 250,000 Atlantans who depend on it everyday wouldn't agree. Again, people who don't know what they are talking about and have "heard" that MARTA doesn't go anywhere and nobody rides tend to come off sounding a little ignorant.

Martha? I've never heard anybody call it that in my 20 years of living in Atlanta.

250,000 makes it the 7th highest ridership in the nation...NOT small fries for the U.S. Really - do some research first. Where exactly does your MARTA "expertise" come from? Mine knowledge comes from daily living in the city and using MARTA for many years.
How about the people who DON'T USE MARTA. TRUST ME, I'VE READ MANY STORIES AND ARTICLES ABOUT IT, IN FACT MARTHA HAS TO IMPROVE ITS IMAGE WHICH IS A SHAME SINCE ITS NEGLECTED.

It's not necessary to send you the many links and research/stories/commentaries/stories from users/facts/etc

IN ADDITION MANY ATLANTA RESIDENTS KNOW YOU REALLY STILL NEED A CAR. DON'T TRY TO FOOL PEOPLE OR HYPE IT, ITS ALSO A DISSERVICE BECAUSE ITS LIKE TRYING TO SAY A SICK PERSON IS HEALTHY OR FOR A BETTER EXAMPLE, A PERSON GETS A C- AND ITS OKAY WITHOUT WANTING A HIGHER GRADE, AND OF COURSE TELLING THE PERSON THEY NEED NOT STUDY OR TRY HARDER OR A TUTOR HE/SHE DOESN'T NEED HELP WITH HOMEWORK.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
.......GDP......yadda yadda yadda

Yep, which is why I stated facts like Nashville has an urban riverfront and Charlotte doesn't, Nashville has beautiful downtown park space and Charlotte doesn't, Nashville has the ability to bike from downtown to the periphery on paths and Charlotte doesn't, Nashville has the ability to boat amidst the downtown scenery and Charlotte doesn't. Outdoor recreational aspects, ie. facts, are more likely to be reasons someone would consider for moving to one city or another rather than GDP. Those FACTS indeed do speak for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City