Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Skyline do you like better: Boston or Houston
Boston 29 49.15%
Houston 30 50.85%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:57 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
yes Uptown, The Energy District, Grrenspoint and Westchase are outside the loop. The skylines inside the loop are DTown, TMC and Greenway.

But isn't that also what you are doing? correct me if I am wrong but isn't that 60m for all of the city?
Well I guess it depends on which one you're looking at...one appears to be saying 60m for all of Boston, and the other is saying 64m for the CBD, which includes downtown and Back Bay. That said, I'll retract my statement about your numbers being bogus...I can admit when I'm wrong, so I think your Houston numbers are legit.

Quote:
I can read just fine, can you??? 60m is 2 more than 58M, not 20
Where is 58 coming from?

Old 09-06-2011, 07:04 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Let's just throw some random numbers out there and hope like hell nobody calls us on them.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Let's just throw some random numbers out there and hope like hell nobody calls us on them.
Hmmm...how exactly am I "throwing some random numbers out there". I was citing exact sources, I just didn't realize one was saying it was covering all of Boston.

The other explicitly says "CBD", and then lists exactly where it's counting. Damn, so much for trying to be nice and concede a point when I think someone else has said something good

Last edited by tmac9wr; 09-06-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 09-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hmmm...how exactly am I "throwing some random numbers out there"
Just making a more general observation about the silliness of this thread and this section in general.

Calm down.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:13 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
sssshhhhh dontcha know it is homerism to correct someone who has never been to your city when they say something incorrect about your city.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,933,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Sorry, an earlier poster claimed DT Houston was 1.5 mile diameter, which would be roughly 2.5 sq miles, and the Loop, the greater DT houston is roughly 50 sq miles.
anyhow CBD's exclude Back Bay, Becon hill (all the state complexes) and Longwood, all add to the skyline. For Houston it excluds atleast Uptown.
Houston's downtown isn't defined but there are accepted boundaries.. 1.5M across??? ha!!! Dtown is only about 15 blocks wide and about 20 -25 blocks long depending on which definitions are accepted.

There are buildings south and east of Downtown that function as part of the CBD that are cutoff from the rest by two highways. Some people count the buildings within the highways only some count the ones that were cut off.

here is the most accepted definition of downtown:
http://www.texasexplorer.com/map.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Well I guess it depends on which one you're looking at...one appears to be saying 60m for all of Boston, and the other is saying 64m for the CBD, which includes downtown and Back Bay.
both sources say back bay, Financial District, South Station, Seaport, Midtown etc but one simply includes CBD in front of each district. Anyway I am not familiar with naming of Boston's districts although one site has a nice map.

Quote:
Where is 58 coming from?
I heard someone complaining that Grubb & Ellis does not count single tenant (or maybe it was owner occupied?) buildings, I dunno if that is true and if it explains the 4M gap for the two Boston quotes or the gap between the two sources for Houston

Old 09-07-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
1.5M across??? ha!!! Dtown is only about 15 blocks wide and about 20 -25 blocks long depending on which definitions are accepted.
Those blocks are bigger than you might realize. Even though those streets are wide by New England standards, spaces seem to be smaller when you're not out where eight-lane highways are going every which way.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
both sources say back bay, Financial District, South Station, Seaport, Midtown etc but one simply includes CBD in front of each district. Anyway I am not familiar with naming of Boston's districts although one site has a nice map.
Yea I'm not quite sure why there are so many divisions of our CBD...but those areas are all interconnected with one another.

Going by Grubb-Ellis' classifications, South Station & the Financial District are different areas, as is the Seaport District. Here are a couple of pictures I just took from my building at 100 Summer Street...

Here is the view from my desk (South Station)...and to the left of South Station across the little bridge is the Seaport District

On the other side of the building is this view, the heart of the Financial District:

Government Center is about two or three blocks beyond that tall blue building...and North Station a couple of blocks beyond that.

"Midtown" as they call it, which I believe is intended to mean the Theater District is three blocks behind my building and it goes out to Back Bay...which is about a 15 minute walk from my building.

So overall, these areas are very connected.

Quote:
I heard someone complaining that Grubb & Ellis does not count single tenant (or maybe it was owner occupied?) buildings, I dunno if that is true and if it explains the 4M gap for the two Boston quotes or the gap between the two sources for Houston
I see, thanks for clearing that up! Unfortunately I don't know the answer haha

Old 09-07-2011, 09:57 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,276,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezter View Post
BMC doesn't even look 1/4 the size of TMC (IMO)
BMC is one hospital.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times
To me this is the intangible you get with Boston not replicated in houston, i love skylines and love the feel of them when I am actually in the city wlaking on the street.

boston ma - Google Maps

Or this

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=boston...81.79,,0,-2.39

Last edited by kidphilly; 09-07-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City