Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2009, 10:42 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Once you drive west OF I-45 Texas Southernness starts to fade. But overall parts of Houston feel just as Southern as Atlanta. But Houston is soooo big, so it can't just be molded into one shape. Houston is a mix between Southern, Cajun, Tropical(in the south towards the gulf), but with no traces of Southwestern culture, other than the LARGE Hispanic population. Can't deny this, and Dallas is just a large mixture of South, Frontier West, and MAYBE a little bit of Southwest. Austin has traces of Southern culture, but NOTHING obviously southern. I'd really hesitate to call Austin Southern, but it CAN be seen as Southern to SOME. Even CACTUS is native to Austin. So that just leaves us with SA. San Antonio!? A Southern city!?! LOL, San Antonio is about as Southern as DC or Baltimore. San Antonio on WEST in TX is undoubtedly the beginning of the American SOUTHWEST. While Austin to DFW, I35 and everywhere in between is debatable, and Houston and everywhere EAST of I45 is undoubtedly the beginning of the American SOUTH. Does anyone agree?
While Houston maybe the beginning of the American South. I would say you wouldn't know until you hit Beaumont. However I will disagree with you in that Houston has no traces of Southwestern culture. The Hispanic culture is a huge part of Houston now and they are in no way Southern as we know it as. We can't forget that part of Houston. Not to mention that Houston has a strong connection with California to an extent. But Houston is very similar to South Louisiana but moreso Lake Charles to Baton Rouge than New Orleans.

Now Houston and Southern Louisiana has connections because simply it is the biggest city in the immediate region and people have family in both places. Same cannot be said with Dallas and Louisiana except Shreveport. Shreveport is more like Texas than it is the rest of the state besides the accent. Dallas has a connection with Oklahoma, Arkansas and other Great Plains Midwestern and Mid-South states. That's kind of unique that you have two cities in one state like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
Yeah, which I was actually going to write. I was going to say that perhaps since Shreveport doesnt have a really unique character like South LA, maybe there is no need for Dallas to share any bond with Shreveport. However I stopped short because Dallas seems to bond with OKC which is further away than Shreveport, and I cant say that OKC has the most striking character either. So IDK.

But yeah you're right.
Well, I think if Dallas "bonds" more with OKC, its probably because Dallas is alot more like OKC than Shreveport. Im not exactly sure how one city bonds with another.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:47 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Well, I think if Dallas "bonds" more with OKC, its probably because Dallas is alot more like OKC than Shreveport. Im not exactly sure how one city bonds with another.
I would say historic close ties which includes industry, family, events, culture, location, and more. Dallas is by far the mega city of that region and it's influence had more of an affect on OKC than it has Shreveport. But I do know that many in Shreveport consider themselves Dallas most eastern suburb. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:04 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Did I misuse the term "bond" somehow? The word "bonds", in this context is intended to mean that the cities have common culture, have a great number of residents who commute back and forth between their cities, share similar climates, are bonded by historic similarities, share geographic/topographic similarities and so forth.

Those are some of the ways that the cities bond with one another..

Old 09-30-2009, 11:08 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
While Houston maybe the beginning of the American South. I would say you wouldn't know until you hit Beaumont. However I will disagree with you in that Houston has no traces of Southwestern culture. The Hispanic culture is a huge part of Houston now and they are in no way Southern as we know it as. We can't forget that part of Houston. Not to mention that Houston has a strong connection with California to an extent. But Houston is very similar to South Louisiana but moreso Lake Charles to Baton Rouge than New Orleans.

Now Houston and Southern Louisiana has connections because simply it is the biggest city in the immediate region and people have family in both places. Same cannot be said with Dallas and Louisiana except Shreveport. Shreveport is more like Texas than it is the rest of the state besides the accent. Dallas has a connection with Oklahoma, Arkansas and other Great Plains Midwestern and Mid-South states. That's kind of unique that you have two cities in one state like that.
But the invasive cultures are different from the cultures that were naturally there, and Houston is naturally southern through and through. It is still rooted in the south, and there are many places throughout the metro that are completely uninfluenced by Mexico or California.

And as far as that Shreveport accent being different from Texas.....well, nevermind. You and I both know that debate is a long journey.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:17 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,972,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
But the invasive cultures are different from the cultures that were naturally there, and Houston is naturally southern through and through. It is still rooted in the south, and there are many places throughout the metro that are completely uninfluenced by Mexico or California.

And as far as that Shreveport accent being different from Texas.....well, nevermind. You and I both know that debate is a long journey.

lol...I cant say that I wholeheartedly agreed with that statement either..I havent noticed any distinguishable difference in the East TX (Tyler - Marshall) and Shreveport accent.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:21 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
The African American Community is very deeply bonded with East Texas. Towns like Tyler, Marshall, Longview, Lufikin, Waskom, and even as far as away as Monroe, Louisiana etc...My grandfather roots came from the Marshall/ Waskom area before they migrated to the predominantly African Commiunity of East Fort Worth back in the day.

Lets not forget about the historic Stop Six Community & its next door neighboor Eastwood of East Fort Worth.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:47 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
The African American Community is very deeply bonded with East Texas. Towns like Tyler, Marshall, Longview, Lufikin, Waskom, and even as far as away as Monroe, Louisiana etc...My grandfather roots came from the Marshall/ Waskom area before they migrated to the predominantly African Commiunity of East Fort Worth back in the day.

Lets not forget about the historic Stop Six Community & its next door neighboor Eastwood of East Fort Worth.

True. I'd take a gander and say that the black community in D/FW would have the deepest ties to the deep-south/East Texas.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
True. I'd take a gander and say that the black community in D/FW would have the deepest ties to the deep-south/East Texas.
Well actually I think blacks have always been a major part of Texas everywhere east of I-45.

Basically anywhere there was cotton plantations.

Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,247,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well actually I think blacks have always been a major part of Texas everywhere east of I-45.

Basically anywhere there was cotton plantations.
Not disagreeing with you on that. I was just referring to the D/FW area in that instance.

When I was a child, we would drive every summer from Cali to Mississippi , but we didn't feel like we were down in the south until we hit the D/FW area. That was the first city we'd hit where there were R&B radio stations way back when, and the DJ's had obviously southern accents. When we'd drive east on I-20 and start seeing the scenery change from plains and farmland to southern forest somewhere in Van Zandt County (or wherever east of Dallas), my mom and dad would get really happy and think, "we're home!" even though we still had another 5 or 6 hrs to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City