Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:36 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I think what they meant is that Houston has never been that much a part of the "Texas cowboy" culture. Atleast not as much as Dallas. Culturally, Houston leans a little more to Louisiana.

Dallas also looks more like the rest of Texas: short trees, wide open prairie. Houston (and East Texas), on the other hand, looks more like a city in the southeast.
I guess.

But the cowboy culture is all Fort Worth. Dallas on the other hand.... they're the more modern, 21th Century type city. At least, that's the way I see it. The only thing that comes to mind when I hear "Cowboys in Dallas" is the football team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I guess.

But the cowboy culture is all Fort Worth. Dallas on the other hand.... they're the more modern, 21th Century type city. At least, that's the way I see it. The only thing that comes to mind when I hear "Cowboys in Dallas" is the football team.
Well I'll put it like this. The North Texas region is generally more associated with the cowboy culture than Southeast Texas.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:52 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,898,942 times
Quote:
Well I'll put it like this. The North Texas region is generally more associated with the cowboy culture than Southeast Texas.
That, I can agree with.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:06 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Hmm so your logic is DFW is country. Not a really credible argument.

As my man Jerry Jones put it "The Cowboys have never been about checkered tablecloths and boots and hats. They've been about glitz and glitter. Leave that other stuff to the Houston Texans."

Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
My old geography professor used to say that the South begins where cotton, pine trees, and forrest begin and that the Southwest begins where cattle, cowboys, and prarie begin.

By that standard Houston would be considered part of the South and DFW, Austin, and San Antonio would be more Southwestern. I agree with that myself.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
My old geography professor used to say that the South begins where cotton, pine trees, and forrest begin and that the Southwest begins where cattle, cowboys, and prarie begin.

By that standard Houston would be considered part of the South and DFW, Austin, and San Antonio would be more Southwestern. I agree with that myself.
Does DFW demographics resemble that of a southwestern city? I thought it was called the cotton bowl for a reason. The South generally begans anything East of the I 35 corridor. From listening to my POLS science teacher I don't know if I would be proud to be a southerner. The south continues to be the poorest region in the country. But if Houston wants to label themselves as being more southern because its a little more eastward than Dallas than thats cool with me. The demographics as i pointed out between Dallas and Houston are nearly indentical both speak southern to me.

Last edited by Exult.Q36; 09-29-2009 at 11:36 AM..

Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post

Hmm so your logic is DFW is country. Not a really credible argument.

As my man Jerry Jones put it "The Cowboys have never been about checkered tablecloths and boots and hats. They've been about glitz and glitter. Leave that other stuff to the Houston Texans."
Yes. Glitz, glitter, big hair, and cheerleaders that look like back-up dancers for Dolly Parton. We're not talking about football teams here, we're talking about cities. And it's a fact that Dallas is more TEXAN than Houston.

And Jerry Jones is from Arkansas .

Old 09-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
I guess.

JJG you are overhyping that statement. I have lived in Fort Worth all my life and never road a horse or saw cattle roaming the streets. I rarely see if at all see residents wearing cowboy boots and hats (unless you are in the Stock Yards). What Fort Worth has done is preserved its history. Fort Worth is just as modern as any other city and offer the same amenities as Dallas.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
I've always thought that Dallas had more of the stereotypical "Texan" feel than Houston. Houston's ties to the Piney Woods/East Texas and (particularly) Louisiana seem to be a lot more stronger than Dallas' ties to East Texas. Not saying that Dallas doesn't have ANY ties to the area, but Houston's seem stronger.

I consider Dallas as a southern city, but is it as southern as Houston? Not to me. YMMV though. Neither are as southern as say, Atlanta or Memphis, but their ties to the south are a lot stronger than say, Austin or San Antonio.

Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I've always thought that Dallas had more of the stereotypical "Texan" feel than Houston. Houston's ties to the Piney Woods/East Texas and (particularly) Louisiana seem to be a lot more stronger than Dallas' ties to East Texas. Not saying that Dallas doesn't have ANY ties to the area, but Houston's seem stronger.

I consider Dallas as a southern city, but is it as southern as Houston? Not to me. YMMV though. Neither are as southern as say, Atlanta or Memphis, but their ties to the south are a lot stronger than say, Austin or San Antonio.
Now this is getting into a whole other conversation (which I could argue about with you for days), but this isn't about that. It's about the relation between Dallas and Houston.

Kdogg, I never said you're going to see mustangs and lassos all over the place in DFW, but that stuff is a lot easier to find up there than down in Houston which has a heavy Cajun influence.

I mean, c'mon. At the State Fair you have a gigantic cowboy named BIG TEX as one of the main attractions. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City