Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 12:52 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Outside of NYC and Chicago, and for the Southwest, it is the closest you can come to.
I can't believe someone would have the audacity to compare Dallas, Texas to Milan, Italy.

Then again, this is C-D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 12:55 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
I have a hard time seeing Texas as part of the South. To me, the South begins where Louisiana starts.
then you haven't spent enough time in texas.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM

2,930 posts, read 5,270,843 times
Quote:
I live in metropolitan Atlanta. It gets hot, humid and there is rarely a breeze. I know what it is to live in such a climate. That is why find Dallas a bit more comfortable than Atlanta. I have been to Dallas for myself. It was 102 degrees F outside and it felt more tolerable than 85 degrees F in Atlanta. In Atlanta I can sweat just by standing there.
Everybody's different, so I'm not going to say you're wrong. Dallas may have been more comfortable to you, but it sure wasn't that way for me, and I live in Houston where the heat and humidity is probably more extreme than Atlanta. You may have just happened to go to Dallas on a comfortable day in the summer. But when I went to Dallas in August, it was just as uncomfortable as Houston to me.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:03 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I can't believe someone would have the audacity to compare Dallas, Texas to Milan, Italy.

Then again, this is C-D.
I can believe it:https://www.city-data.com/forum/2399434-post46.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/2398952-post41.html

Old 06-30-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
then you haven't spent enough time in texas.
I used to live in Texas, Ft. Worth specifically. Made a trip to San Antonio for Sea World.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
I used to live in Texas, Ft. Worth specifically. Made a trip to San Antonio for Sea World.
and that's ALL of texas? no.

here's what texreb had to say about east texas:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

I don't see much -- if any -- difference -- in terms of history, culture, and topography. The ONLY thing I can think of is that East Texas is Texas, and thus many residents may have a state identity over a regional one. That is to say, many residents of the Deep South (i.e. deep southeast) tend to more identify themselves as "Southerners" before they do as a native of the state itself. Their whole identity is wrapped up in it (the "Deep South purists").

BUT...that is about the only thing I can think of. As Lady Bird Johnson put it along the lines of: "The East Texas I grew up is the Deep South, not any different from Louisiana, Mississippi, or Alabama..."

Another one, from a respectable source was passed on to me by a very good friend who was public relations director at Stephen F. Austin University in deep East Texas. He told me a guy from Georgia got a history professor position. The Geogia man told my friend he expected he would be moving to the "Texas" of Hollywood western movies. That is, cowboys, tumbleweeds and deserts and cactus. Because that is what he had grown up reading and seeing (and looking forward to it, in fact, because of John Wayne and all).

Instead? As he said later "This is the Deep South. There is absolutely no difference from where I am from in Georgia and this part of Texas."

Old 06-30-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
and that's ALL of texas? no.

here's what texreb had to say about east texas:
I have read books about Texas and Texas has less in common with Georgia than it does with the west. The most "southern" part of Texas to me is anything in the Piney Woods area.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:34 PM

Quote:
I have read books about Texas and Texas has less in common with Georgia than it does with the west. The most "southern" part of Texas to me is anything in the Piney Woods area.
piney woods are not "southern", they're southern. period. hell, there are parts of this state that are more southern than kennesaw

name one characteristic of the south that you find in georgia that you won't find in texas (mainly east texas)

Old 06-30-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
piney woods are not "southern", they're southern. period. hell, there are parts of this state that are more southern than kennesaw

name one characteristic of the south that you find in georgia that you won't find in texas (mainly east texas)
A drier climate, the Old West history, cattle, cowboy culture.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
So it makes it true because another fellow forumer said so...

I'll be sure to be on the lookout for more highly informative threads from you in the future.

I think I just lost some brain cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City