Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2009, 10:56 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
They should be watching Dallas. Hip-Hop REALLY needs something different right now, it seems like all the acts are a bunch skinny jean wearing, "swagger"-jackers. Hip-Hop is boring right now.
What? Hip-hop is definitely not boring what now. Maybe your radio rap stuff, but not hip-hop. A lot of stuff to look forward to by the end of the year.

Even mainstream wise, you've had Jay-Z's new album come out, Kid Cudi's new album come out, etc. Cudi's new album is better than Jay's lyrically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 11:10 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,946,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I understand that...but thats just it..he wasnt any different than most artists imo..its just that what he started, has pretty much become formulaic for most rappers nowdays: A couple of dance songs, a few tough guy/bragging songs, a couple of uplifting songs, a couple of mama songs -- rinse, wash, repeat. But, I agree that he was one of the great artists (as far as individual song content, very straight forward wordplay, and a stellar persona) of his genre's era..in hindsight I just think I overrated his talent initially
But that isn't necessarily his fault. They just see how he made it and they copy. And that's not how most hip-hop artist are now days, MOST of them take after the Biggie formula and REPEAT, Big time drug dealer, ect, ect. But then again I waaay prefer THAT, compared to the ANNOYING skinny-jeans dance craze of current times.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:35 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
But that isn't necessarily his fault. They just see how he made it and they copy. And that's not how most hip-hop artist are now days, MOST of them take after the Biggie formula and REPEAT, Big time drug dealer, ect, ect. But then again I waaay prefer THAT, compared to the ANNOYING skinny-jeans dance craze of current times.
yeah what is up with the skinny jeans for real? those damn emos. Anyway, Dallas is better than Houston cause we got class and swagga that Houston could never even imagine nor ever match.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:58 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
I personally dont think there will every be a rap scene that was as good as the late 80's-mid 90's in Los Angeles. Those guys might have had a lot of shock value, but they were real and they rapped about alot of what they saw in the ghetto. Back in the late 80's, Crenshaw Blvd. between Rosecrans and Wilshire was a virtual war zone thanks to the miracle of Crack Cocaine. I remember going to a science fair at Fremont High School in Compton when I was 11 and our bus driver got threatend with a gun by a group of thugs. Another, my mother's car got shot at in 1991 on Century Blvd. just east of Western trying to get back onto the 110. NWA was the first to rap about what was really going on down there.

The crap that comes out now just sucks compared to that. We have these new songs like "Stanky Leg", "Mr. Hit Dat", Lil Jons repetitive beats, Chopped and Screwed which is just music slowed down, etc. There has been good rap to come out of the South, but thats not some of it. The Gheto Boyz in Houston are the closest that the South can come to early 90's West Coast. All it takes to be a hip hop artist now is to say the same thing over and over, make up a new dance that makes no sense (Stanky Leg, Frankie, or whatever), or just brag about how much money you have.

Im done with the stuff until some better rappers come out.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
I personally dont think there will every be a rap scene that was as good as the late 80's-mid 90's in Los Angeles. Those guys might have had a lot of shock value, but they were real and they rapped about alot of what they saw in the ghetto. Back in the late 80's, Crenshaw Blvd. between Rosecrans and Wilshire was a virtual war zone thanks to the miracle of Crack Cocaine. I remember going to a science fair at Fremont High School in Compton when I was 11 and our bus driver got threatend with a gun by a group of thugs. Another, my mother's car got shot at in 1991 on Century Blvd. just east of Western trying to get back onto the 110. NWA was the first to rap about what was really going on down there.

The crap that comes out now just sucks compared to that. We have these new songs like "Stanky Leg", "Mr. Hit Dat", Lil Jons repetitive beats, Chopped and Screwed which is just music slowed down, etc. There has been good rap to come out of the South, but thats not some of it. The Gheto Boyz in Houston are the closest that the South can come to early 90's West Coast. All it takes to be a hip hop artist now is to say the same thing over and over, make up a new dance that makes no sense (Stanky Leg, Frankie, or whatever), or just brag about how much money you have.

Im done with the stuff until some better rappers come out.
Geto Boys is a just a piece of what Houston had. Houston's rap scene was very good back in the day. It was more than just chopped and screwed.

YouTube - Raheem - Dance Floor: Revised Version

YouTube - Odd Squad - Can't See It

YouTube - Big Mike "Havin Thangs"

YouTube - C-Note - Screwed Up Click (Third Coast Born)

YouTube - DJ Screw - June 27 Full Flow Part 1 of 4

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM

Again, you all are just talking about radio stuff. And chopped and screwed is nice to me. I like some of my music slowed down at certain times. And Atlanta made all of this dancing/snaping stuff, then Dallas copied. It's really annoying hearing those songs on the radio, but they're pretty good at parties .

Old 10-14-2009, 07:39 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel713 View Post
Again, you all are just talking about radio stuff. And chopped and screwed is nice to me. I like some of my music slowed down at certain times. And Atlanta made all of this dancing/snaping stuff, then Dallas copied. It's really annoying hearing those songs on the radio, but they're pretty good at parties .
True. DJ Screw was the best at doing screwed music. Houston isn't like the rest of the south when it comes to dancing and snapping music. Dallas is really the only city in Texas putting out that BS. I know people like lil Flip, Paul Wall, Mikes Jones, and more. Aren't the best, but they could compete with anyone coming out of the Dallas and Atlanta. Before these dudes were mainstream; their mixtapes were actually good.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:55 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
True. DJ Screw was the best at doing screwed music. Houston isn't like the rest of the south when it comes to dancing and snapping music. Dallas is really the only city in Texas putting out that BS. I know people like lil Flip, Paul Wall, Mikes Jones, and more. Aren't the best, but they could compete with anyone coming out of the Dallas and Atlanta. Before these dudes were mainstream; their mixtapes were actually good.
The rap scene in Dallas is subpar for sure. There are like 2 or 3 good rappers here that get radio play. The funny thing is that if you go on youtube, you can find a slew of decent rappers here, but they are all underground and the subject material is all hardcore gangster stuff (drugs, killing, shootings, that stuff).

Old 10-14-2009, 08:18 AM

6 posts, read 11,561 times
dallas didnt copy atl with that dancin ****. dallas boogie started early in like 02 03 as a hood dance in the east.. now its just getting known. we just not on that dancing ****. we have good rappers like mr. lucci, mr. pookie, big chief, yound nino and hot boy star, etc. franky, mr. hit that hoe, etc. is just club music that we can gigg to.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
The rap scene in Dallas is subpar for sure. There are like 2 or 3 good rappers here that get radio play. The funny thing is that if you go on youtube, you can find a slew of decent rappers here, but they are all underground and the subject material is all hardcore gangster stuff (drugs, killing, shootings, that stuff).
lol.

but Dallas is still like Atlanta. A lot of the dancing material outweighs the good stuff. Houston had the problem with all the talk about grills/slabs outweighed the deep stuff that other Houston rappers talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenise View Post
dallas didnt copy atl with that dancin ****. dallas boogie started early in like 02 03 as a hood dance in the east.. now its just getting known. we just not on that dancing ****. we have good rappers like mr. lucci, mr. pookie, big chief, yound nino and hot boy star, etc. franky, mr. hit that hoe, etc. is just club music that we can gigg to.
Hot Boy Star? Mr. Pookie? NO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City