Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
. The Woodlands and Kingwood are beautiful areas. Atascocita is too. If I ever were to move to the Houston area, I'd probably move to that part of the metro.

I think the southern half is dominated by the coastal prairie. Sort of reminds me of parts of Tampa Bay.
I'd easily go with Kingwood. The Woodlands is too far and boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 01:19 PM

2,531 posts, read 6,249,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post

Hence why there are so many amenities in the community itself. It's extremely far away. It still seems like you leave the Houston Metro area before you get to it. And that's nowadays. I can imagine how isolated the area was before the 1990's.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Hence why there are so many amenities in the community itself. It's extremely far away. It still seems like you leave the Houston Metro area before you get to it. And that's nowadays. I can imagine how isolated the area was before the 1990's.
The amenities don't satisfy me. The town center and mall area is nice. That's about it though. Oh, your close to Splashtown though.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:25 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
The Woodlands boring? I'll admit that its distance from the city is unappealing but it's town center makes it more fun than Kingwood. Although the latter does have the more beautiful villages in my personal opinion.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
The Woodlands boring? I'll admit that its distance from the city is unappealing but it's town center makes it more fun than Kingwood. Although the latter does have the more beautiful villages in my personal opinion.
That town center isn't really fun........However, your entitled to your own opinion. Kingwood is more diverse and better access to Houston. Lake Houston is also close!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:07 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,834,261 times
Quote:
That town center isn't really fun........However, your entitled to your own opinion. Kingwood is more diverse and better access to Houston. Lake Houston is also close!
I probably would rather choose to live in Kingwood, but it really isn't that close to the city either. One day on a visit to Houston, we had some time to kill and decided to waste gas lol and drive from The Woodlands to Kingwood to the Galleria. That was one tedious trip. We were just lucky there wasn't that much traffic.

Last edited by MrMcCoySays; 10-06-2009 at 02:23 PM..

Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
I was actually up in the Woodlands the other night for a concert, and was quite impressed with how the central area of it has grown and developed. It seemed quite walkable/bikable. Of course all the tall trees are nice. I wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't so far from everything else (i.e. employment and cultural amenities in Houston).

Old 10-06-2009, 04:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,937,981 times
Quote:
LMAO. It's a nice picture of White Rock Lake Park from a certain angle if anything.

But seriously, while Dallas isn't treeless, it's nowhere near as verdant or as lush as Houston. It's not a knock on the city itself, but it is what it is. Houston is on the tail end of the Piney Woods, Dallas is in the Prairies and Crosstimbers, so it's a geographical thing. Most of the trees that aren't in the floodplains of the creeks and rivers in the Metroplex were planted by developers and builders. The only area that I can think of outside of that would probably be the hilly areas in the southern suburbs. If the Metroplex was built about 60-70 miles to east in the Gulf Coastal Plain, it would be a lot more green and verdant.
So true. You're not get the same amount of trees in that region of Texas as you would in Southeast Texas.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:47 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I love the way that picture makes it look like the city has tall trees.
Quote:
LMAO. It's a nice picture of White Rock Lake Park from a certain angle if anything.

But seriously, while Dallas isn't treeless, it's nowhere near as verdant or as lush as Houston. It's not a knock on the city itself, but it is what it is. Houston is on the tail end of the Piney Woods, Dallas is in the Prairies and Crosstimbers, so it's a geographical thing. Most of the trees that aren't in the floodplains of the creeks and rivers in the Metroplex were planted by developers and builders.
This has been mentioned before, but Lakewooder posts that same picture of Dallas all the time, looking over White Rock at such an angle... but it's truly not representative of how most of DFW looks. Nice PR though.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:46 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
This has been mentioned before, but Lakewooder posts that same picture of Dallas all the time, looking over White Rock at such an angle... but it's truly not representative of how most of DFW looks. Nice PR though.
Lol..nothing against Lakewooder, but thats pretty true. I realize that Dallas has some trees. But, I too find most of the pics posted on this site of the foliage in Dalla,s misrepresentative of what I actually see when I go. I guess because, driving west into Dallas, the trees begin phasing out well before I arrive in Dallas. Whereas, driving south to Houston the trees are actually large and abundant all the way into Houston, and really only begin subsiding towards the Southern end of the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City