Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,064,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Those are very subjective things.

I prefer the weather and scenery in Houston myself.
I dislike extremes in temperatures; Houston temperatures are more moderate (not quite as hot in summer and not quite as cold in winter.) I also prefer more rainfall and more cloudy days.
I think in general, Dallas' scenery is too sterile for my taste. I also prefer the more lush landscape, more greenery, and taller trees in Houston. Having the Bay Area/Clear Lake is also nice; doesn't have that landlocked feel like Dallas. Again, just a personal preference of mine.
Just about everything being said in this thread is subjective. Actually Dallas is slightly cooler than Houston in the summer. Since the humidity in Dallas is considerably lower it feels slightly cooler than Houston in the summer. This is why I said I like the weather better in Dallas. Most people like the lower humidity better. I'm no exception. As far as the scenery I was talking about the landscape. Houston is way too flat. At least in Dallas it's not quite as flat. This is why I said I like the scenery better in Dallas. I like trees too and both cities are close to the east TX woods. North of Houston is the good trees. East of Dallas is the good trees. So both cities are close to the east TX forest.

Not than any of this really matters since my job is in H-town. You have to go where the money goes. Follow the money trail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 11:07 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never understood how someone can love Houston and hate Dallas. The cities are more similar than different. Places in Houston have a Dallas vibe to me. Me and my friend were driving through Cypress and felt so at peace because of how similar it looks compared to the suburbs in Dallas (around the Tidwell and 290 area).
That's Fairbanks (the Fair in Cy-Fair).

Old 10-03-2009, 12:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
That's Fairbanks (the Fair in Cy-Fair).
That's why I came back and said from about Jersey Village up to Cypress. I don't know the areas between there by heart.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:38 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,842,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Actually Dallas is slightly cooler than Houston in the summer. Since the humidity in Dallas is considerably lower it feels slightly cooler than Houston in the summer.
Not true.
It's not uncommon for Dallas to have many days of triple-digit temperatures in the summer. Very rare in Houston, as it's near the water. You're right about the humidity though.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:03 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I think Dallas should be given some credit, scenery wise.

True, it's not as lush as Houston, but East Texas towns like Tyler and Longview are a short road trip away where the trees are twice as beautiful as the ones in Houston.

Dallas is also closer to mountains (the Ouachitas are about 5 hrs NE of downtown) where you can hike, camp, hang glide, and whitewater raft. And yes, Houston has the ocean, but I think most people would choose the Interior Highlands over the Gulf of Mexico.
You must be under the impression that all of the Texas coast line looks like Galveston. The farther you go down the coast, the prettier the beaches and water get.

Personally, I like Houston's geographic position in Texas over Dallas's. I prefer the beach and Hill Country which is all about 3 hour drive away from Houston.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:15 AM

103 posts, read 314,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Those are very subjective things.

I prefer the weather and scenery in Houston myself.
I dislike extremes in temperatures; Houston temperatures are more moderate (not quite as hot in summer and not quite as cold in winter.) I also prefer more rainfall and more cloudy days.
I think in general, Dallas' scenery is too sterile for my taste. I also prefer the more lush landscape, more greenery, and taller trees in Houston. Having the Bay Area/Clear Lake is also nice; doesn't have that landlocked feel like Dallas. Again, just a personal preference of mine.

I see, do you like the soupy humidity Houston has. I liked Dallas because it has a clean, hilly kinda of elevated character that Houston doesnt have. Yes Houston is treesy and lush ( on north, northeast and west sides) and it has the bay (which dirty and muddy but decent) and Galveston's beaches but thats it. Its flat as a board, Dallas is not. Dallas is also lush landcaped esp in its olders areas.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Just about everything being said in this thread is subjective. Actually Dallas is slightly cooler than Houston in the summer. Since the humidity in Dallas is considerably lower it feels slightly cooler than Houston in the summer. This is why I said I like the weather better in Dallas. Most people like the lower humidity better. I'm no exception. As far as the scenery I was talking about the landscape. Houston is way too flat. At least in Dallas it's not quite as flat. This is why I said I like the scenery better in Dallas. I like trees too and both cities are close to the east TX woods. North of Houston is the good trees. East of Dallas is the good trees. So both cities are close to the east TX forest.

Not than any of this really matters since my job is in H-town. You have to go where the money goes. Follow the money trail.

right on!!! Yes when I was in Dallas, it was not as humid as Houston!!! It was hot but not soupy or steaming thick like humid Houston. Plus I like Dallas as a city more because it is cleaner, nicer, slightly hillier and elevated than Houston. Plus Dallas is a stones throw from lush and treesy East Texas. If I want a nice clean beach, Corpus or South Padre is just a days drive and the many lakes that are closer to Dallas.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
right on!!! Yes when I was in Dallas, it was not as humid as Houston!!! It was hot but not soupy or steaming thick like humid Houston. Plus I like Dallas as a city more because it is cleaner, nicer, slightly hillier and elevated than Houston. Plus Dallas is a stones throw from lush and treesy East Texas. If I want a nice clean beach, Corpus or South Padre is just a days drive and the many lakes that are closer to Dallas.
Wow, you make 6-9 hours sound like 30 minutes.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wow, you make 6-9 hours sound like 30 minutes.
not bad if you plan a decent beach trip for like a week.

Old 10-04-2009, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
not bad if you plan a decent beach trip for like a week.
Yeah, but still it just goes to show Dallas is still far from any type of coastline. In Houston, you got the coast about 50 minutes away and hills about an hour away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City