Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2009, 11:50 AM

103 posts, read 314,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
AH HA!...so someone admits it!..lol.. j/k....

but seriously, I was telling a Dallasite about the diversity and integration of cultures in Houston and how it differed from Dallas. I was alluding to the fact that his city (Dallas) was still relatively segregated compared to Houston, and he blew up at me about how comparable Dallas' integration is to Houston...

But Im not sure he understood what I was trying to convey. I wasnt saying that Dallas doesnt have a diverse array of cultures, but rather the cultures arent as integrated with each other as they are in Houston from my experience.
I mean Houston is diverse. Dallas seemed more white and hispanic, maybe I was on the northside and north suburbs. But I like Dallas, because its cleaner and hillier and smaller than Houston. Houston is dity, huge and more of a NYC stuck in Texas. Dallas, seems LA-ish stuck in North Texas. Houston is more southern/multicutural/Hispanic/Lousisana-ish/blue-collor/cowboy/hick/some white collar/urban.... Dallas was more white collar/Hispanic/texas-style/bland/clean/segragated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
AH HA!...so someone admits it!..lol.. j/k....

but seriously, I was telling a Dallasite about the diversity and integration of cultures in Houston and how it differed from Dallas. I was alluding to the fact that his city (Dallas) was still relatively segregated compared to Houston, and he blew up at me about how comparable Dallas' integration is to Houston...

But Im not sure he understood what I was trying to convey. I wasnt saying that Dallas doesnt have a diverse array of cultures, but rather the cultures arent as integrated with each other as they are in Houston from my experience.
I think what happens is that when you tell them Houston is more diverse (which I agree it is), then they automatically think youre saying that Dallas isnt diverse. Houston is more diverse but Dallas is definately diverse as well. The same thing happens when talking about the internationalness of the cities.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by will_I_am29 View Post
lol, right on with that comment. Well the blonde moms could have been nice, but I was judging the book by its cover. I admit that. But my friend who lives in Carrollton showed around as much as she can. I wish we could of explored South Dallas and Oak Cliff more, but she has phobia of being in the "hood", so we toured North Dallas the burbs more.
Well I give you respect for admitting it.

Next time you come to Dallas, alert one of us so we can at least give you a tour of what the city really has to offer. You still might like Houston alot more, but I think you would have a different impression of Dallas if someone had shown you some more of the better things here. Did you make it to Koreatown, Knox-Henderson, or the Bishop Arts district?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:03 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times
Quote:
I mean Houston is diverse. Dallas seemed more white and hispanic, maybe I was on the northside and north suburbs. But I like Dallas, because its cleaner and hillier and smaller than Houston. Houston is dity, huge and more of a NYC stuck in Texas. Dallas, seems LA-ish stuck in North Texas. Houston is more southern/multicutural/Hispanic/Lousisana-ish/blue-collor/cowboy/hick/some white collar/urban.... Dallas was more white collar/Hispanic/texas-style/bland/clean/segragated..

^^ Thats pretty much been my assessment of the two in a nutshell. Pretty spot on description there imo. Houston has some sort of odd Texan, Cajun, Southern, Blue Collar, International, Latino influence thing going on..which I like so far. And you're right, it is dirty, some would even say sloppy..which I have come to like. The grittier look in a addition to the presence of a robust international population gives Houston a less restrictive feel imo..

Dallas is a very landscaped, clean cut looking city, whose Latin culture doesnt seem as integral to its core character as it does in Houston. Although the clean cut look of Dallas is commendable, I have come to realize that I do like a little grit and grime here and there to urbanize things a bit.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
City proper Dallas is majority Hispanic and metro DFW is about 1/3 hispanic.

Dallas does have the fastest growing Asian community since 2000 in the Southern States (numberically). Thats something we can be proud of.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Well I give you respect for admitting it.

Next time you come to Dallas, alert one of us so we can at least give you a tour of what the city really has to offer. You still might like Houston alot more, but I think you would have a different impression of Dallas if someone had shown you some more of the better things here.
I've never understood how someone can love Houston and hate Dallas. The cities are more similar than different. Places in Houston have a Dallas vibe to me. Me and my friend were driving through Cypress and felt so at peace because of how similar it looks compared to the suburbs in Dallas (around the Tidwell and 290 area).

Old 10-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I've never understood how someone can love Houston and hate Dallas. The cities are more similar than different. Places in Houston have a Dallas vibe to me. Me and my friend were driving through Cypress and felt so at peace because of how similar it looks compared to the suburbs in Dallas (around the Tidwell and 290 area).
You and me both dude.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
...and I can't remember that last time I've seen cotton in the Atlanta area, but both are in the middle of the Cotton Belt. I agree that Dallas isn't as Southern as Atlanta, but it still has Southern roots, history, and aesthetic in many parts. And yes, we both agree on the Western influence there.
I guess we agree.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:51 PM

I love BOTH Houston and Dallas. Both are awesome in my opinion.

Old 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Dallas is the cleaner city from what I observed. But then again I haven't been to either city since 2003. I wish I could move back to Texas. How is that weather out west?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City