Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2009, 05:32 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,973,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
I think folks in DC and many Atlantans dress better than Dallasites honestly.

my thoughts exactly...I cant really see how debating which city (Houston, Dallas) dresses better really even matters...franky both cities are woefully lacking in the fashion dept. I think Houstonians dress more plainly...although when North Texans dress bad -- They dress BAD! I think all of the northern/northeastern part of Texas struggles with fashion...I have seen some unspeakable fashion faux pas in that region...I think because Houton people dress very plainly/safely, they dont run quite the risk of making as many of those mistakes...Never the less, imo neither city is anything to write home about fashionwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 05:36 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,732,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
my thoughts exactly...I cant really see how debating which city (Houston, Dallas) dresses better really even matters...franky both cities are woefully lacking in the fashion dept. I think Houstonians dress more plainly...although when North Texans dress bad -- They dress BAD! I think all of the northern/northeastern part of Texas struggles with fashion...I have seen some unspeakable fashion faux pas in that region...I think because Houton people dress very plainly/safely, they dont run quite the risk of making as many of those mistakes...Never the less, imo neither city is anything to write home about fashionwise
Dallas is one of the most trendy places in the US. They keep up with fashion trends religiously. Houston isnt trendy at all. Im not saying thats a good thing. Im not a trendy person so it doesnt matter to me, but Dallas is a more fashionable city than Houston.

Dressing trendy and fashionable can look crazy sometimes. It does to me alot of times. But your Dallasite will go spend $500 on a pair of brand name jeans if its the thing to do. Your Houstonian would be happy with a $20 pair from Ross.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:52 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,833,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Dallas is one of the most trendy places in the US. They keep up with fashion trends religiously. Houston isnt trendy at all. Im not saying thats a good thing. Im not a trendy person so it doesnt matter to me, but Dallas is a more fashionable city than Houston.

Dressing trendy and fashionable can look crazy sometimes. It does to me alot of times. But your Dallasite will go spend $500 on a pair of brand name jeans if its the thing to do. Your Houstonian would be happy with a $20 pair from Ross.
Well...it depends on who youre talking. Not to make this a race thing, but a lot of blacks in Houston tend to be very trendy (as far as urban culture goes). It's mostly the rest of Houston that's real laid back. But down in Houston you have a lot of people who will spend their whole pay check on one outfit.

Hair also seems to be a big deal down there. I've seen some real nice weaves down in H-town lol. No, but seriously, when I moved down to SE Texas to go to school, I was impressed with how put together the black girls were. Since I had just left Central Texas where people actually are "underdressed" (people would come to school in pajama pants...country, I know)

Old 10-16-2009, 06:13 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,199,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

You have high maintenance people in Houston just like in Dallas. People down here will rush to the store to buy the latest new shoes and accessories. The most fashionable people I've seen here are from California, but their style doesn't work right with this type of climate. People put on all these scarfs, shades, leggings, boots, with big coats in 90 degree weather with 89% humidity. You might look stylish, but you will be very uncomfortable.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well...it depends on who youre talking. Not to make this a race thing, but a lot of blacks in Houston tend to be very trendy (as far as urban culture goes). It's mostly the rest of Houston that's real laid back. But down in Houston you have a lot of people who will spend their whole pay check on one outfit.

Hair also seems to be a big deal down there. I've seen some real nice weaves down in H-town lol. No, but seriously, when I moved down to SE Texas to go to school, I was impressed with how put together the black girls were. Since I had just left Central Texas where people actually are "underdressed" (people would come to school in pajama pants...country, I know)
Whoa, I need you to quit hating on my style

Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Both are quite up to date in fashion I guess. I think Dallas is the more high maintenance in terms of fashion of the 2 though.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:49 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,298,309 times
Quote:
Dallas is one of the most notably fashion oriented cities in the country. I am from Atlanta and can vouch for this. DC is very conservative in terms of fashion and such due to the politics that the system buzzes around. Atlanta is fashionable just not as much as Dallas is known. I think people just like putting down Dallas for whatever personal reason they may have toward the area. I don't even live there and I'm taking up for it.

* Its kind of like in high school when all the kids feel they have to put the kid that thinks they are better than everyone in their place.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
Dallas is one of the most notably fashion oriented cities in the country. I am from Atlanta and can vouch for this. DC is very conservative in terms of fashion and such due to the politics that the system buzzes around. Atlanta is fashionable just not as much as Dallas is known. I think people just like putting down Dallas for whatever personal reason they may have toward the area. I don't even live there and I'm taking up for it.

* Its kind of like in high school when all the kids feel they have to put the kid that thinks they are better than everyone in their place.
Really?...I dont know about this one...Im afraid Im going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one....like seriously, the last time I was in Dallas and Northeast Texas it looked as though there had been a serious fashion catastrophe in the area...No disrespect to North/Northeast Texas intended, as I know that the region has several things going for it...but fashion isnt one of them from what we've witnessed...and that became very apparent to me, during the times that I visited.

My cousin from Dallas and I (From Northeast Texas) often laugh and even make fun of the ailing fashion sense in Dallas/Northern Texas. He too now lives in Houston and immediately noticed a difference in the way people dressed back in Dallas...The style of most Houstonians, while not flashy, is presentable. Im not saying that everyone in North Texas is a bad dresser, but honestly, things were looking pretty bad the last time I was there, fashionwise. Some of it just looked flat out tacky and/or outdated. Much of it was flatly inexcusable to tell the truth. But that was just our experience based on him (my cousin) being raised there, and me visiting every so often. I think Houston's fashion sense could be interpretted as dull, but I do think its safer to be plain and dull, than to be gaudy and tackily dressed, which can be a recipe for disaster stylewise.

Last edited by solytaire; 10-16-2009 at 08:26 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Really?...I dont know about this one...Im afraid Im going to have to respectfully agree to disagree on this one....like seriously, the last time I was in Dallas and Northeast Texas it looked as though there had been a serious fashion catastrophe in the area...No disrespect to North/Northeast Texas intended, as I know that the region has several things going for it...but fashion isnt one of them from what we've witnessed...and that became very apparent to me, at the times that I visited.

My cousin from Dallas and I (From Northeast Texas) often laugh and even make fun of the ailing fashion sense in Dallas/Northern Texas. He too now lives in Houston and immediately noticed a difference in the way people dressed back in Dallas...The style of most Houstonians, while not flashy, is presentable. Im not saying that everyone in North Texas is a bad dresser, but honestly, things were looking pretty bad the last time I was there, fashionwise. Some of it just looked flat out tacky and/or outdated. Much of it was flatly inexcusable to tell the truth. But that was just our experience based on him (my cousin) being raised there, and me visiting every so often. I think Houston's fashion sense could be interpretted as dull, but I do think its safer to be plain and dull, than to be gaudy and tackily dressed, which can be a recipe for disaster stylewise.
The thing with Houston is the climate doesn't allow for lots of fashion styles. We can't walk around in fur coats, big boots, and all that because we'd burn the hell up. No city along the gulf coast is really fashionable. I wouldn't consider Miami fashionable myself.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 10-16-2009 at 08:29 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
The thing with Houston is the climate doesn't allow for lots of fashion styles. We can't walk around in fur coats, big boots, and all that because we'd burn the hell up. No city along he gulf coast is really fashionable. I wouldn't consider Miami fashionable myself.
you got that right! Thats probably a better way of putting it...The people in Houston take a very minimalist approach to fashion because they have to...even in the winter, Houston weather does not always require extra layers of clothing, or coats. I will say that what Houston residents dont spend on clothes they spend on cars and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City