Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 01:09 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The great cities in America share the following.

Water & scenery
A major college
A liberal lifestyle and undercurrent.
Technologically wired.

Austin nails it.

Great music, chow, topography, water, tech savvy.

Houston and Dallas don't.
And with all of that, Austin is still ONLY the 3rd best city in Texas. Just go back to building your condos and attracting transplants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,531,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The great cities in America share the following.

Water & scenery
A major college
A liberal lifestyle and undercurrent.
Technologically wired.

Austin nails it.

Great music, chow, topography, water, tech savvy.

Houston and Dallas don't.
You are REALLY overrating Austin. I love Austin too but it's pretty much clear that you know little about Dallas or Houston. Water and Scenery? Houston and Dallas has that covered. Dallas may not have a major college but it's still respectable and Houston has Rice which is a major University. Liberal lifestyle? Dallas and Houston has that covered. Tech-savvy? Dallas actually BEATS Austin when it comes to that and Houston is gaining on Austin as well.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:16 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
One cruel little trick that has been played on Austinites is that they think that they are respected by those who value true liberalism. The few people I have met who have moved to Austin say that it isnt even really as liberal as Austinites think it is compared to true liberal meccas.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:31 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,063,579 times
I've talked to a lady on CD a few times before and she keeps moving back and forth between Austin and Seattle. She said Seattle is a lot more liberal than Austin is. She said Seattle is definitely more expensive too. She said she likes Austin better though because she said the people in Seattle don't have good manners. She said Austinites have much better manners than people in Seattle.

I've heard from several people before that Texans definitely have better manners and more respect for others than the people in some of the other states do.

Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,311,684 times
Me personally I like that Dallas and Houston are different, that what keeps me going back time and time again. I like Dallas for its family atmosphere and Houston for its laidback approach As far Austin, I like to visit on holidays, only because friends and my school was there. Once you live in Austin, you want to move.
Beside that I can settle going to Waco on the weekend and chilling out with family eating BBQ enjoying life no big city worries.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:40 PM

45 posts, read 103,620 times
DALLAS or HOUSTON for a 29 yr SBM from NYC considering the following:
This is an informative thread. I plan on visiting on Easter 2010 until the 11th,. I am so done with cold east coast women. I shouldn't sound so bitter I'll admit. However, If you are from NYC/east coast then you probably can empathize (even a little) regarding our beautiful evil sistahs. I don't wanna go all Tiger Woods with this, so my friend suggested I visit him and his girl in TX (dallas/arlington/ft.worth area) and realize that ALL AREN'T parasites. With that being said, is it safe to say Dallas isn't any different than NYC and east coast locations that breed ABW's or is dallas/arlington/ft.worth area the type of place i can embrace some human friendliness? I only say that because wherever I go people can "tell" I'm from NYC from the "infamous" NYC attitude (which I realize now is more of a defense mechanism due to being in such a stressful, untrusting enviroment; ie NYC) I am 29 and 6ft tall and fit. I don't want to be a "rosewood" example, nor do I want to be treated like some "city slicker" because I speak with a NYC accent (I'm trying to sond plain as ever, accent free) Please enlighten me as to what to expect from the women here, should I expect women like Monique and Lil' Kim or what? Thanx.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:26 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,839,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrynaLearn View Post
DALLAS or HOUSTON for a 29 yr SBM from NYC considering the following:
This is an informative thread. I plan on visiting on Easter 2010 until the 11th,. I am so done with cold east coast women. I shouldn't sound so bitter I'll admit. However, If you are from NYC/east coast then you probably can empathize (even a little) regarding our beautiful evil sistahs. I don't wanna go all Tiger Woods with this, so my friend suggested I visit him and his girl in TX (dallas/arlington/ft.worth area) and realize that ALL AREN'T parasites. With that being said, is it safe to say Dallas isn't any different than NYC and east coast locations that breed ABW's or is dallas/arlington/ft.worth area the type of place i can embrace some human friendliness? I only say that because wherever I go people can "tell" I'm from NYC from the "infamous" NYC attitude (which I realize now is more of a defense mechanism due to being in such a stressful, untrusting enviroment; ie NYC) I am 29 and 6ft tall and fit. I don't want to be a "rosewood" example, nor do I want to be treated like some "city slicker" because I speak with a NYC accent (I'm trying to sond plain as ever, accent free) Please enlighten me as to what to expect from the women here, should I expect women like Monique and Lil' Kim or what? Thanx.
Whats your preference we have all types of black women in Texas?
If you like your women made up Houston on Beyonce fit your needs or if you likem natural than Ms. Erykah Badu Dallas native will be your best choice. Both got dunks.

http://bikiniattitude.files.wordpres...ce-knowles.jpg (broken link)

http://bikiniattitude.files.wordpres...ce-knowles.jpg (broken link)

Moderator cut: image removed

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanne...3-End/badu.jpg

http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanne...3-End/badu.jpg

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 04:22 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 11:05 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Beyonce wins.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:31 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,845,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Beyonce wins.
maybe in looks and vocal ability, but when it comes to creativity, personality, demeanor, wisdom, and overall quality, it's miss badu all the way

Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,155,936 times
If you are coming to Dallas on Easter - visit Easter in the Park (Lee Park on Turtle Creek) - I think it is April 4th. DSO, doggy parade, a lot of interesting and varied types picnicking, blooming azaleas..etc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City