Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:59 AM

4,692 posts, read 9,327,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam 5 View Post
your confusing me or are you even listening to what im typing what do you mean by cbd if your meaning charlottes stadium for the cbd you typed then i said at the top that however i think charlotte has a bigger stadium.atlanta does seem to have a quite bigger downtown skyline than charlotte.I live in georgia but in columbus georgia just a hour south of atlanta so i travel to atlanta very often.And i also travel to charlotte as well.And another thing does charlotte have a marta train system that takes you around charlotte like atlanta does.not trying to start any trouble i just want to know thats all.
Sorry for the confusion. I was just basically saying that Charlotte's CBD is not that small and I listed some attractions in the CBD in addition to the office space one poster has already listed. We do not have something like Marta in our city. MARTA is heavy rail but we do have light rail that goes through parts of the city and is in the process of expanding. I appreciate your civilty.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:17 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,914,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Where did you get Charlotte's office space from? I'm pretty sure it's closer to 17 million square feet of office space. But I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that. But I know Charlotte still has less office space than Atlanta. My comment was more directed at the physical size of DT ATL vs Uptown Charlotte. I'm not sure how you could look that up.
Yeah, downtown Atlanta and uptown Charlotte are pretty close now in terms of office space, thanks to Duke Energy Center, NASCAR Plaza, 440 S. Church, etc. Of course, citywide it isn't even a competition but the CBDs are pretty comparable when it comes to office space.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:36 AM

1 posts, read 799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam 5 View Post
your confusing me or are you even listening to what im typing what do you mean by cbd if your meaning charlottes stadium for the cbd you typed then i said at the top that however i think charlotte has a bigger stadium.atlanta does seem to have a quite bigger downtown skyline than charlotte.I live in georgia but in columbus georgia just a hour south of atlanta so i travel to atlanta very often.And i also travel to charlotte as well.And another thing does charlotte have a marta train system that takes you around charlotte like atlanta does.not trying to start any trouble i just want to know thats all.
They Have Light rail the only stadium you can get to on it is the Arena. There in there first phase of the system, so I would give them a couple of more years before it fills in the Gap. Marta system runs underground through downtown and midtown its holds alot of people and it moves people at a faster rate. I think Atlanta and Charlotte Downtown Are about the same. Atlanta downtown is more dense Taller , more buildings, and more Attractions in the Downtown area.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:44 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,404,136 times
Quote:
Where did you get Charlotte's office space from? I'm pretty sure it's closer to 17 million square feet of office space. But I'm not sure, so don't quote me on that. But I know Charlotte still has less office space than Atlanta. My comment was more directed at the physical size of DT ATL vs Uptown Charlotte. I'm not sure how you could look that up.
Not sure what source BlackOut used, but I always rely on Colliers for my info. The numbers are pretty far off from those posted earlier.

Atlanta CBD - 25,466,693
Charlotte CBD 18,681,469

And bgNCATL, re: your earlier question about the Perimeter Center area, they come in at 28,266,783.

Colliers International

Oh, and just for geeky fun, the metro totals:
Atlanta - 199,456,022
Charlotte - 73,522,021

For some odd reason, you can't link to the Charlotte data from Collier's homepage. The full market report can be found here, for those interested in more detail: http://www.colliers.com/Content/Repositories/Base/Markets/Charlotte/English/Market_Report/PDFs/Q309OFF_CHR.pdf (broken link)

Old 03-06-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not sure what source BlackOut used, but I always rely on Colliers for my info. The numbers are pretty far off from those posted earlier.

Atlanta CBD - 25,466,693
Charlotte CBD 18,681,469

And bgNCATL, re: your earlier question about the Perimeter Center area, they come in at 28,266,783.

Colliers International

Atlanta - 199,456,022
Charlotte - 73,522,021

For some odd reason, you can't link to the Charlotte data from Collier's homepage. The full market report can be found here, for those interested in more detail: http://www.colliers.com/Content/Repositories/Base/Markets/Charlotte/English/Market_Report/PDFs/Q309OFF_CHR.pdf (broken link)
I'm glad you found the link, because I went to the Colliers site and couldn't find any of the Charlotte reports. But I remember having cited those statistics before. Duke Energy Center, 1 Bank of America Center, NASCAR Plaza, and 440 S. Church should have us over the 20M sq ft mark.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I'm glad you found the link, because I went to the Colliers site and couldn't find any of the Charlotte reports. But I remember having cited those statistics before. Duke Energy Center, 1 Bank of America Center, NASCAR Plaza, and 440 S. Church should have us over the 20M sq ft mark.
I'm sure that will be the case. These reports were from 4th quarter of '09.

Strange about that link, but I really do trust Colliers figures.

What we also need to remember is that Govt. space isn't included, which both places have quite a bit of.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I'm sure that will be the case. These reports were from 4th quarter of '09.

Strange about that link, but I really do trust Colliers figures.

What we also need to remember is that Govt. space isn't included, which both places have quite a bit of.
Yeah, I use Colliers as my source as well. Too bad they aren't in every market because there are some cities I'd love to see figures for which they don't provide.

And if you include government space, that would only push Atlanta even further ahead with state government and a nice chunk of federal government space.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Yeah, I use Colliers as my source as well. Too bad they aren't in every market because there are some cities I'd love to see figures for which they don't provide.

And if you include government space, that would only push Atlanta even further ahead with state government and a nice chunk of federal government space.
Absolutely. The City/County complex in Uptown is pretty impressive too, though (and perhaps more attractive overall).

The Government District in Downtown Atlanta has a very cool proposal in the works called The Green Line that would tie the whole area together with some much needed cohesion. It's centered on the proposed Multimodal Station and the railroad gulch that is such a division right now.

Plans & Initiatives | Green Line Plan

Old 03-06-2010, 12:32 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,327,182 times
Quote:

Atlanta CBD - 25,466,693
Charlotte CBD 18,681,469

Colliers International

Atlanta - 199,456,022
Charlotte - 73,522,021

Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy for a second there. The metro office space you included is quite hillarious. I think of that 73+, 40+ is in Charlotte. LOL. Charlotte pretty much dominates the MSA. Sort of like the Chicago effect.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I thought I was going crazy for a second there. The metro office space you included is quite hillarious. I think of that 73+, 40+ is in Charlotte. LOL. Charlotte pretty much dominates the MSA. Sort of like the Chicago effect.
You're welcome!

The link to the Charlotte report breaks everything down by sub-markets, it's pretty interesting. The only surprise I found was that Southpark has much less space than I thought it did, at a little over 5 million. It looks like much more than that when in the area - to me anyway! I also had no idea how much space was around the Airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City