Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,856,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
newness is subjective, i wouldn't consider something built during the last 20 years, "new". Anything built in the last 10 years, is new to me, and even 10 is stretching it.
So Charlotte's tallest and Atlanta's tallest both opened in 1992.

I consider buildings built in the past 20 years to be newer buildings in relation to the overall built environment. Of course a 20 year old structure isn't "new", but it is newER in the overall scheme of things and will have a more modern appearance than a 50 year old building.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM

8,491 posts, read 15,055,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But proportionally speaking, Charlotte has more newer buildings. There are some angles at which to view downtown Atlanta's skyline where the older stuff shows up a little more prominently; that's not the case for Charlotte simply because we don't have a lot of older buildings (still standing) and the ones we have are overshadowed by the newer buildings at just about all angles. By "older," I mean anything pre-1980 for the purposes of this discussion. It also usually tends to show how more developed downtown Atlanta is on the ground level than uptown Charlotte. Here's one such angle:

http://veiltales.files.wordpress.com...atlanta-ga.jpg
I'm not ragging on your post as your point is well made, but there is still a lot of the older structures in downtown Atlanta that obscured from any angle unless you are at street level. Fortunately, there is a pic from 1962 from the same angle you posted above that highlights this:

http://atlantatimemachine.com/images/aerial_pc494.jpg
Picture courtesy of Atlanta Time Machine

A good number of those buildings are still standing.

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 10:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,919,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I'm not ragging on your post as your point is well made, but there is still a lot of the older structures in downtown Atlanta that obscured from any angle unless you are at street level. Fortunately, there is a pic from 1962 from the same angle you posted above that highlights this:

Picture courtesy of Atlanta Time Machine

A good number of those buildings are still standing.
Oh yeah, definitely. I'm not disputing that at all. But all angles don't obscure those older buildings. Pretty much every angle obscures them (the few that are still standing that are even tall enough to have a presence in the skyline) in Charlotte.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 AM

14 posts, read 46,201 times
Atlanta doesn't look like Charleston sc, But its not a new city like Charlotte. I don't think anyone will even try to dispute that, because you can't. Charlotte looks even newer in person. More newer than what the pictures show on line. It would take so many new skyscrapers to hide the old ones and change Atlanta Skyline, to make it look newer.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
Atlanta doesn't look like Charleston sc, But its not a new city like Charlotte. I don't think anyone will even try to dispute that, because you can't. Charlotte looks even newer in person. More newer than what the pictures show on line. It would take so many new skyscrapers to hide the old ones and change Atlanta Skyline, to make it look newer.
Not really. Most angles where the more historic buildings show up prominently in downtown Atlanta's skyline are from the south. A couple of strategically placed towers on that side would obscure those buildings, but I doubt that would happen (nor would I want to see it happen).

Also, realize that while we're comparing the skyline of downtown Atlanta here with uptown Charlotte, midtown Atlanta and Buckhead are just as "new" as uptown Charlotte.

Midtown:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/173/4...11ed7a4de7.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2661/...f2af28456d.jpg

Buckhead:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3111/...08585a6a90.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2444/...0455080c5d.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 07:00 PM..

Old 12-10-2009, 08:48 AM

Atlanta can't compete in the newness catergory. Atlanta just isn't as New as Dallas, Houston, And ( Charlotte ) Atlanta's Architecture is just not as nice, yeah there's a lot of tall Sky scrapers, but most of all the top 40 cities in the us have tall Sky scrapers these days. Even Atlanta's new buildings look old. seriously!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM

look at the pictures on this page from waronxmas; of Atlanta. lol

Old 12-10-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Atlanta can't compete in the newness catergory. Atlanta just isn't as New as Dallas, Houston, And ( Charlotte ) Atlanta's Architecture is just not as nice, yeah there's a lot of tall Sky scrapers, but most of all the top 40 cities in the us have tall Sky scrapers these days. Even Atlanta's new buildings look old. seriously!
OK, you're just sounding very uninformed right now. Stop while you're ahead. Atlanta has just as many newer buildings as Houston and Dallas, and even more than Charlotte; they have also retained more of their historic buildings also (compared with Charlotte). And what's wrong with older buildings anyway? I wish we had kept most of ours in Charlotte! The most active and vibrant cities have retained a good bit of their historic stock. Why do you think cities like Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, etc. are so popular? Once upon a time we truly valued the art of city-building and those buildings constructed back then have stood the test of time. Some of the new stuff going up here in Charlotte and elsewhere is cheap crap that will fall apart in 30 years or so.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:55 AM

Quote:
look at the pictures on this page from waronxmas; of Atlanta. lol
What's funny about that? It's a friggin' picture from almost 50 years ago, or did you even bother to read that? Seriously, how old are you?

Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM

631 posts, read 1,232,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Who said that? And compete with who?

Its been in the Charlotte vs Atlanta threads people have made that claim. Charlotte people say stuff like.... Southpark, Charlottes Buckhead, etc Everything I see people type about charlotte they try and compare it too what Atlanta has done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City