Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,324,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
This is funny all these people must live in Atlanta lol. I don't live in either, but I know the cities are compareable. Charlotte has a larger population in the city. Atlanta has a larger population in the metro. Charlotte is the banking capital of the south. The Nascar city, The 18 largest city in the us. ( Panthers, Knights, Bobcats, Carowinds, Some of the souths largest malls. Its like a new city. It doesn't have the same vibe as Atlanta. Atlanta proper is the 34 largest city in the us. with a huge metro Coco cola six flags, malls, braves, falcons, and hawks, but no where as near a new of a city as Charlotte. They both are cool tough. Charlotte doesn't have as many buildings as Atlanta, but the ones they have and they have a lot looks much better! both the cities are on the same page thats a fact this theard along proves that with all the different people opions, but they have very different vibes. I choose Charlotte with Atlanta a close second and that wont change. Charlotte wins my opionion.
Dude, just stop.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM

653 posts, read 1,427,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
Dude, just stop.
LOL! I think this guy/girl is just young. It's pretty obvious reading there post.

Old 12-08-2009, 08:22 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,324,487 times
I think this is the case as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:52 AM

14 posts, read 46,195 times
Go Queen City! Atlanta is cool too! Charlotte is better my opinion!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:32 AM

13,372 posts, read 40,087,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
There is nothing young about facts. Maby your young, and haven't heard of facts yet lol
What "facts" are you talking about? When you say Charlotte is "newer" than Atlanta, what does that mean?

If "new" means new buildings, then Atlanta has a heck of a lot more newer buildings than Charlotte. In fact, since 2000 metro Atlanta has grown so much that it's almost added the entire Charlotte metro area to its population. In 9 years.

Since 1960 Atlanta has added over 4 million people to its metro area. Charlotte has added 1.4 million.

Charlotte became a city in 1768. Atlanta became a city in 1847. Atlanta is "newer."

Last edited by JMT; 12-09-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,907,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
What "facts" are you talking about? When you say Charlotte is "newer" than Atlanta, what does that mean?

If "new" means new buildings, then Atlanta has a heck of a lot more newer buildings than Charlotte. In fact, since 2000 metro Atlanta has grown so much that it's almost added the entire Charlotte metro area to its population. In 9 years.

Since 1960 Atlanta has added over 4 million people to its metro area. Charlotte has added 1.4 million.

Charlotte became a city in 1768. Atlanta became a city in 1847. Atlanta is "newer."
I'm not going to dispute the "newer" comment, since the majority of Charlotte's skyline is...well...new, when compared to Atlanta's downtown skyline. Plus Atlanta has more of its historic buildings remaining downtown. But if we were comparing Midtown's skyline with Charlotte's, then I'd say that both are pretty much equally "new."

Old 12-09-2009, 11:42 AM

653 posts, read 1,427,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post

This is very true. I would also like to add that Atlanta has probably added almost as many tall buildings to its skyline(DT, MT AND Buckhead) than there is in uptown now in that time frame.

I really like Charlotte, but it seems like everytime CLT builds a skyscraper, people up there run to Atlanta to see if they have caught up LOL. This is not everyone in CLT but you get my point.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,907,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
This is very true. I would also like to add that Atlanta has probably added almost as many tall buildings to its skyline(DT, MT AND Buckhead) than there is in uptown now in that time frame.
But proportionally speaking, Charlotte's skyline has more newer buildings than downtown Atlanta's, which is why most people say that Charlotte has a "new" skyline. NYC and Chicago have added even more buildings than Atlanta, but their skylines aren't "new" because they have a ton of historic buildings that blend with the new. That situation didn't really exist in Charlotte, so the majority of the skyline is indeed "new."

Old 12-09-2009, 11:49 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,843,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
That last line sums it up rather well. I think Charlotte is doing TOD right from the jump. I don't think MARTA had the same effect, proportionally speaking, when it was first established.

As far as the surrounding towns are concerned, I'm not saying that everybody's willing to jump on board, no questions asked. Of course, funding will always be an issue. But what's not an issue is the suburban sentiment that all the Black folks in the ghetto will hop onto the trains, ride into the majority White suburbs, shoot up the place, and then get back on the trains.

"Night and day" was a reference to the support/opposition of neighboring towns, not the systems themselves. Charlotte just isn't as balkanized as Atlanta, even proportionally speaking.

Just to clarify something...from what I understand, it was never about the fear of criminals and lower-income people using transit to VISIT the suburbs - but that transit would allow those people to LIVE in the suburbs and destroy the ideal lifestyle. I've seen many people post the same opinions about this outlandish fear of criminals riding the subway, but it doesn't paint a correct picture.

Of course, it's all silliness and transit doesn't bring down an otherwise safe area, but let's get it right.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:55 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,843,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Atlanta skyline isnt Boxy lol I Prefer Atlanta over charlotte
That was my first thought too...Atlanta is KNOWN for being the king of crowns and pointy-topped buildings. I have never heard anyone comment that Atlanta is "boxy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City