Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:02 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Just to clarify something...from what I understand, it was never about the fear of criminals and lower-income people using transit to VISIT the suburbs - but that transit would allow those people to LIVE in the suburbs and destroy the ideal lifestyle. I've seen many people post the same opinions about this outlandish fear of criminals riding the subway, but it doesn't paint a correct picture.

Of course, it's all silliness and transit doesn't bring down an otherwise safe area, but let's get it right.
Wow, that's even worse. Nothing towards Atlanta specifically of course, since this attitude can be found in several cities across the nation.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:10 PM

649 posts, read 1,423,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But proportionally speaking, Charlotte's skyline has more newer buildings than downtown Atlanta's, which is why most people say that Charlotte has a "new" skyline. NYC and Chicago have added even more buildings than Atlanta, but their skylines aren't "new" because they have a ton of historic buildings that blend with the new. That situation didn't really exist in Charlotte, so the majority of the skyline is indeed "new."
I see what you are saying and I agree that DT Charlotte is Newer than DT Atlanta. I really was just letting people who don't know any better that Atlanta has Midtown and Buckhead that is just as new as Charlotte and they have added a vast amount of new building over the past decade. I know the thread is about Uptown vs Downtown ATL, but it's hard not to mention MT and Buckhead when people start talking about Atlanta is old.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Wow, that's even worse. Nothing towards Atlanta specifically of course, since this attitude can be found in several cities across the nation.
Whether better or worse, at least it makes some kind of logical sense. I can't imagine people actually thinking that criminals would ride MARTA to their neighborhood to commit a crime...but I can imagine people thinking that transit might allow lower-income people to move in and therefore cause a decrease in property values and safety. Please take note that I'm certainly not agreeing with any of this.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
I see what you are saying and I agree that DT Charlotte is Newer than DT Atlanta. I really was just letting people who don't know any better that Atlanta has Midtown and Buckhead that is just as new as Charlotte and they have added a vast amount of new building over the past decade. I know the thread is about Uptown vs Downtown ATL, but it's hard not to mention MT and Buckhead when people start talking about Atlanta is old.
A lot of this discussion depends on an individual's concept of "newer". Most of Downtown Atlanta's tallest buildings were constructed within the past 20 years - and I would definitely consider those to be newer buildings. Actually, looking at a list of each city's tallest buildings I don't see a significant difference in "newness", though it is kind of obvious that Atlanta has been a large city much longer than Charlotte.

List of tallest buildings in Charlotte - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of tallest buildings in Atlanta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-09-2009, 12:47 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgNCATL View Post
This is very true. I would also like to add that Atlanta has probably added almost as many tall buildings to its skyline(DT, MT AND Buckhead) than there is in uptown now in that time frame.

I really like Charlotte, but it seems like everytime CLT builds a skyscraper, people up there run to Atlanta to see if they have caught up LOL. This is not everyone in CLT but you get my point.

It really does seem that way . Are when they got light rail they up and ran saying they can compete now. I really hate that they compare them anyways I really think there is just basic comparison between the 2 citys. Atlanta isnt in competetion with Charlotte and Charlotte shouldnt be in competetion with Atlanta. Both downtowns are great.

Old 12-09-2009, 12:50 PM

631 posts, read 1,228,348 times
Quote:
Just to clarify something...from what I understand, it was never about the fear of criminals and lower-income people using transit to VISIT the suburbs - but that transit would allow those people to LIVE in the suburbs and destroy the ideal lifestyle. I've seen many people post the same opinions about this outlandish fear of criminals riding the subway, but it doesn't paint a correct picture.

Of course, it's all silliness and transit doesn't bring down an otherwise safe area, but let's get it right.

Right people ride the train and take buses to Sandy springs, Dunwoody Buckhead and Alpharetta there hasnt been that much of a problem.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:10 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,825 times
Quote:
A lot of this discussion depends on an individual's concept of "newer". Most of Downtown Atlanta's tallest buildings were constructed within the past 20 years - and I would definitely consider those to be newer buildings. Actually, looking at a list of each city's tallest buildings I don't see a significant difference in "newness", though it is kind of obvious that Atlanta has been a large city much longer than Charlotte.

newness is subjective, i wouldn't consider something built during the last 20 years, "new". Anything built in the last 10 years, is new to me, and even 10 is stretching it.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Whether better or worse, at least it makes some kind of logical sense. I can't imagine people actually thinking that criminals would ride MARTA to their neighborhood to commit a crime...but I can imagine people thinking that transit might allow lower-income people to move in and therefore cause a decrease in property values and safety. Please take note that I'm certainly not agreeing with any of this.
I know, same here. Both points of view are pretty stupid.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:21 PM

Quote:

But proportionally speaking, Charlotte has more newer buildings. There are some angles at which to view downtown Atlanta's skyline where the older stuff shows up a little more prominently; that's not the case for Charlotte simply because we don't have a lot of older buildings (still standing) and the ones we have are overshadowed by the newer buildings at just about all angles. By "older," I mean anything pre-1980 for the purposes of this discussion. It also usually tends to show how more developed downtown Atlanta is on the ground level than uptown Charlotte. Here's one such angle:

http://veiltales.files.wordpress.com...atlanta-ga.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 07:01 PM..

Old 12-09-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
It really does seem that way . Are when they got light rail they up and ran saying they can compete now.
Who said that? And compete with who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.