Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think is better?
Downtown Atlanta 208 64.40%
Uptown Charlotte 115 35.60%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 AM

14 posts, read 46,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
OK, you're just sounding very uninformed right now. Stop while you're ahead. Atlanta has just as many newer buildings as Houston and Dallas, and even more than Charlotte; they have also retained more of their historic buildings also (compared with Charlotte). And what's wrong with older buildings anyway? I wish we had kept most of ours in Charlotte! The most active and vibrant cities have retained a good bit of their historic stock. Why do you think cities like Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans, etc. are so popular? Once upon a time we truly valued the art of city-building and those buildings constructed back then have stood the test of time. Some of the new stuff going up here in Charlotte and elsewhere is cheap crap that will fall apart in 30 years or so.

Charleston is one of the oldest and broke down places I've ever visited. New orleans is known for a lot of other stuff not really it's old buildings lol,. You miss the point. Atlanta buildings still look old Compared to Charlotte. Atlanta is a cool place. I have family there, but it doesn't look all that to me. I don't live in Charlotte or Atlanta. I have family in both cities. I choose Charlotte. What city wants to be popular for having an old antique skyline?

Old 12-11-2009, 08:43 AM

http://www.beentheresawthat.com/ga/atlanta/800pics/800ph01.jpg (broken link)
http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/im...rd%200125b.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 08-06-2012 at 06:59 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 08:48 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,888,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBoy21 View Post
Those are basic comparisons. Buckhead would dominate Southpark if you were really making comparisons in every catergory. I think what really makes a good arguement or good comparision would to compare and area the is on some what on the same scale and level.
Dude, we know that, but we're talking about in general. Smaller cities compare things they have to larger cities all the time and vice versa. Take for example the Midtown Mile concept in Atlanta. They are basing that off both Michigan Ave in Chicago and King Street in Charleston. And like I said, much of the comparisons between Atlanta and Charlotte are done because the two cities are in close proximity to each other, so usually the points of reference are well known. You could compare SouthPark to a similar area in a similarly-sized metro area like Austin, but most people won't know what you're talking about because Austin is so far away so the comparison will be lost on most people.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
^^^Wait a second! I see a "Midtown" skyscraper in that photo. This photo should be disqualified from this tread lol!
It looks old to me from almost every angle.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
[color=deepskyblue]Charleston is one of the oldest and broke down places I've ever visited.
"Broke down"? ROFL!!! You CANNOT be serious. That "broke down" place has a more active downtown than both Charlotte and Atlanta with better downtown retail also.

Quote:
New orleans is known for a lot of other stuff not really it's old buildings lol,.
You are absolutely wrong. New Orleans IS known for its old buildings.

Quote:
What city wants to be popular for having an old antique skyline?
Several cities are known for their historic architecture, and your responses let me know that you can't be any older than 18 or so.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte rep View Post
It looks old to me from almost every angle.
So what about NYC's skyline? It must look super old to you.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 AM

725 posts, read 1,512,596 times
Quote:
So what about NYC's skyline? It must look super old to you.
Super duper old

Old 12-11-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Dude, we know that, but we're talking about in general. Smaller cities compare things they have to larger cities all the time and vice versa. Take for example the Midtown Mile concept in Atlanta. They are basing that off both Michigan Ave in Chicago and King Street in Charleston. And like I said, much of the comparisons between Atlanta and Charlotte are done because the two cities are in close proximity to each other, so usually the points of reference are well known. You could compare SouthPark to a similar area in a similarly-sized metro area like Austin, but most people won't know what you're talking about because Austin is so far away so the comparison will be lost on most people.

I agree! Charlotte has a larger city population, Atlantas metro is much larger than Charlotte's tough.

Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM

415 posts, read 1,211,250 times
It is I am going to say that Charlotte and Atlanta are on the same level one outs the other in one thing one has has bigger metro the other bigger city proper. Both have the same amminities and same aspects as far as city wise maybe the only thing that Charlotte can say it does not have is a pro baseball team but then again Atlanta doesnt have NASCAR and NASCAR brings more spectators honestly in the south. Face it ATL and CLT are equal. But as for me stating what the OP asked I would choose CLT's uptown

Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansanity View Post
It is I am going to say that Charlotte and Atlanta are on the same level one outs the other in one thing one has has bigger metro the other bigger city proper. Both have the same amminities and same aspects as far as city wise maybe the only thing that Charlotte can say it does not have is a pro baseball team but then again Atlanta doesnt have NASCAR and NASCAR brings more spectators honestly in the south. Face it ATL and CLT are equal. But as for me stating what the OP asked I would choose CLT's uptown
No sir, Atlanta and Charlotte are not on the same level and Atlanta and Charlotte are NOT equal. Atlanta and Charlotte do not have the same amenities either. Atlanta also has pro hockey, the world's largest aquarium, a zoo, MLK historic district, more than one upscale mall (SouthPark is our only upscale mall), the world's busiest airport, a bunch of museums that we can't come close to matching, etc. And Atlanta does have NASCAR: Atlanta Motor Speedway. I don't think you know much about Atlanta at all with the things you're saying. There's not much, if anything, that Charlotte has that Atlanta doesn't have, but there's a bunch of stuff Atlanta has that Charlotte doesn't have. A metro of 1.7 million (or 2.2 million if you use CSA stats) versus one of 5.5 million are not on the same level, no matter how you slice it.

Unfortunately, it's uninformed statements like this by youngsters who aren't very well-traveled or knowledgeable about things like this that give Charlotte a bad name in the eyes of some Atlantans. Just let it be known that it's not adult Charlotteans who are making these wild claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City