Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:37 PM

29 posts, read 32,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtownatl View Post
T.I.
Andre 3000
Big Boi
Luda
The Dream
Akon
Jermaine Dupre
T-boz (TLC)
Chilli (TLC)
Kandi (Xscape)
Tiny (Xscape)
Ciara
Dallas Austin
Jazze Pha
Bobby Valentino
Gucci Mane
Lil Jon
Young Joc
Young Jeezy
Shawty Lo
Goodie Mob
Pastor Troy
Ghetto Mafia
Triville
Lil Scrappy
Kilo Ali
Kriss Cross
Another Bad Creation
Bone Crushers
Bubba Sparxx
Souja Boy
I actually think ATL is one of the worst - except Outkast and Goodie Mob. Most of the others are garbage, imo. Lyrics are nowhere near that of a Nas, Rakim, GZA, etc...

Old 10-01-2009, 12:39 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
From mainstream... of course the south is what is "popular"

But in terms of underground the east will always be the elite.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:40 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Houston has the best Hip Hop Scene in the south. Someone can try to convince me otherwise, but no other southern cities have produced the music and artist Houston has.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,732,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Houston has the best Hip Hop Scene in the south.
agreed.

although i'd take 3-6, project pat and...outkast and luda as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Houston has the best Hip Hop Scene in the south. Someone can try to convince me otherwise, but no other southern cities have produced the music and artist Houston has.
I agree completely, I'm a fan of Jacksonville's underground & Huntsville's underground as well.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
eek

swisha house >>
magno >>

Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Quote:
Houston has the best Hip Hop Scene in the south.
Miami has that title.

YouTube - Pitbull - Ay Chico (Lengua Afuera)

Old 10-01-2009, 01:06 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i disagree with this because you're implying that nyers overwhelmingly listen to cormega or production like cormega's...when that is just not true at all.
I used Cormega's production as an example of what a typical NYC produced album sounds like, I wasn't saying that everyone in NYC bumps Cormega, if I wanted to say that I would have used someone like Nas

Quote:
did you see the swizz vs kanye beat battle vid? check youtube.
regardless if swizz won, both have held ny down on the production angle. hell, va has held ny down on the production angle. so have other coasts/cities/states.
Kanye is from Chicago, and Swiss Beats may have been born in NYC, but he grew up in safe suburban Druid Hills here in the NE metro of Atlanta. I mean c'mon he was the freaking first chair snare drum for Lakeside High School. If anything that show you thats where he got the influneces for his drum ladden beats (also a down south trademark). He moved to Atlanta around the same time in his life (middle school age) that Ludacris did, but Ludacris claims Atlanta and Swiss Beats claims NYC. Which is probably due to where they lived- Luda grew up in College Park, while Swiss would have a hard sell claiming Druid Hills

Quote:

i disagree with this as well. a lot of artists have always done this. blueprint 1, for example (which dropped in 2001-when ny still had a strangle hold on the rap game which is why i'm using this jay z album as an example), handled by just blaze and kanye (chicago) with help from timbaland (va) and em (detroit).

Along with Withdoctor (new orleans) the runners (orlando) DJ Toomp (Atlanta)

Quote:
ny has always been known for being gritty with or without gangs. also, if you use the gang theory for ny, then you need to use it for the south.
Crips and bloods have been down south allot longer than NYC as allot of Cali black people have family in Texas and Louisiana, and they are no where as prevelant as in NYC right now. For example here in Atlanta you may have a few blood sets here or there, but its no where near the level that you see in the Bronx, Harlem and Brooklyn

Quote:
wayne (and drake from toronto) are going around saying soo woo and all that. baby's grown ass is walking around talking about being a blood. etc.

actually, IMHO after dipset came out, mad ppl claimed to be bloods. matter of fact, wayne seemed real fascinated with the diplomats from about 04-late 05ish.
Agreed on that one with Drake, Wayne and Baby. And however fake or real Baby's "blood affilation" may be, I have heard from a number of people from New Orleans that Baby, his brother Slim, and their deceased brother Hot Boy were notorious Heroine King Pins back in the day, so he may seem silly claiming Bloods, but he has a street rep in a city that is one of the most violent in the nation, and that alone should tell you something. Not to mention that I find it hilarious how just last year Drake was being touted as the one who will save east coast Hip Hop even though he is from Toronto, then after everyone found out he was on a Teeny bopper show back in the day and heard how his bad imitation of a southern drawl on his records how quickly you all turned your back on him.

Quote:
with that said, i do agree that we don't set trends in hip hop anymore (as it relates to MUSIC; not fashion or other things).

I disagree with that one, allot of urban fashion comes from the west coast now. Example-flannel shirts, selvage denim, Vans etc is very much a LA style. The current early 90's retro Nike's look comes from the DMV area. Example- Nike ACG's, Foamposites, and shoes like the Barkleys, Pippens, Uptempos etc.

Quote:
this is not true at all. most of america is ignorant as to nyc as a whole. most ppl still buy into the stereotypes.

Not really, NYC being the biggest city in America is also probably the most visited city in America. Us folks from other cities go there and see the NYPD all over the place, we see white people in Harlem and Brooklyn and etc....

Quote:
ny isn't as hard as it was from 1995 and back but its still hard. can't say parts of jamaica, harlem, brownsville, etc. are not hard.

you also cant say that most of america cares about what goes on in atl like that other than the music...and i don't think ppl buy the trap star lifestyle that ppl from atl shovel out or the drug kingpin stuff that the miami rappers push out.
Your right its just music, but any dope pusher worth his salt will tell you that the Feds shut the cocaine highway that was the Port of Miami down years ago, and anyone who has spent time in cities like Houston and Atlanta will tell you that the sale of wholesale amounts of drugs are making allot of young dudes rich off of selling to others across the country

Quote:
i disagree completey. first off, it could be argued that la was done after pac died.
second, big died but you still had one last stretch with the bad boy movement with mase, you still had DMX, JAY Z's run (which was huge), you still had ROCAFELLA RECORDS reign, etc. etc.
And I didnt say that you all suddenly died when Big got killed, the decline had already started via you all's mayor Rudy G, and when BIG died it hastened the decline....

Last edited by youngMichaelJackson; 10-01-2009 at 01:21 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
edited.........

Old 10-01-2009, 01:22 PM
eek

[quote=youngMichaelJackson;11003523]
Quote:

I used Cormega's production as an example of what a typical NYC produced album sounds like, I wasn't saying that everyone in NYC bumps Cormega, if I wanted to say that I would have used someone like Nas
grab a handful of nyc albums (or mp3's).
cormega's production is not the standard. lol @ that.

nyc albums sound nothing like that. nyc albums have been handled by a variety of producers for a long, long time.
its also common knowledge that nas has boring production for the most part, as well. this is (one of the reasons) why he's not as mainstream as other artists even within ny.

Quote:
Kanye is from Chicago, and Swiss Beats may have been born in NYC, but he grew up in safe suburban Druid Hills here in the NE metro of Atlanta. I mean c'mon he was the freaking first chair snare drum for Lakeside High School. If anything that show you thats where he got the influneces for his drum ladden beats (also a down south trademark)
i know where kanye and swizz are from. i used them for a reason. reread what i said. nyc has always been held down by producers from various regions with various backgrounds. i've already said that as well.

Quote:
Crips and bloods have been down south allot longer than NYC as allot of Cali black people have family in Texas and Lousiana, and they are no where as prevelant as in NYC right now. For example here in Atlanta you may have a few blood sets here or there, but its no where near the level that you see in the Bronx, Harlem and Brooklyn
it doesn't matter how long gangs have been in existance. ny has always had gangs as well...just not crips and bloods.
ny has always had ppl that repped certain blocks/hoods/etc. now they have a bandana along with it and a new name. it hasn't really changed much.

Quote:
Agreed on that one with Drake, Wayne and Baby. And however fake or real Baby's "blood affilation" may be, I have heard from a number of people from New Orleans that Baby, his brother Slim, and their deceased brother Hot Boy were notorious Heroine King Pins back in the day, so he may seem silly claiming Bloods, but he has a street rep in a city that is one of the most violent in the nation, and that alone should tell you something.
ok but apply this to nyc.

you can't act like nyc wasn't hard before fake blood sets entered hip hop.

Quote:
Not to mention that I find it hilarious how just last year Drake was being touted as the one who will save east coast Hip Hop even though he is from Toronto, then after everyone found out he was on a Teeny bopper show back in the day and heard how his bad imitation of a southern drawl on his records how quickly you all turned your back on him.
i don't think anybody thought drake was from nyc tho...so...

*shrugs*

i personally don't mess with drake. he's ok but not my cup of tea. there is no one saviour of east coast hip hop. it'll take a group/collection of many artists. we don't even have posse cuts anymore.

Quote:
I disagree with that one, allot of urban fashion comes from the west coast now. Example-flannel shirts, selvage denim, Vans etc is very much a LA style. The current early 90's retro Nike's look comes from the DMV area. Example- Nike ACG's, Foamposites, and shoes like the Barkleys, Pippens, Uptempos etc.
nyc (as well as cali) popularized all that stuff. europeans and the japanese are the blueprint, nyc "copies it/makes it its own" and others take from it.
streetwear (what you're referring to) as we know it is very nyc/tokyo/london.

Quote:
Not really, NYC being the biggest city in America is also probably the most visited city in America. Us folks from other cities go there and see the NYPD all over the place, we see white people in Harlem and Brooklyn and etc....
seeing white ppl means nothing. white ppl have always lived in both areas. granted, there are different types now (gentrification is a beast). your average joe has not traveled to nyc but has heard from a friend that has heard that x place is not the place to be in broad daylight, let alone after 10.

we still get 90,000 posts a week in the nyc forums on CD about is ___ safe to be at?? is ___ train safe? its quite annoying.

also, i remember seeing (on tv) where 8 ppl got shot in harlem during a basketball game...they interviewed a terrified white lady. it is what it is.
there are armenian areas of the bronx i wouldn't be caught in.

Quote:
And I didnt say that you all suddenly died when Big got killed, the decline had already started via you all's mayor Rudy G, and when BIG died it hastened the decline....
i decline didn't become official until the roc was crushed, IMO. pre 03, decline or not, we still had the streets, the radio and tv. post 04, we had nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City