Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which southern state do you think is the most urban?
Texas 45 28.66%
North Carolina 20 12.74%
Virginia 36 22.93%
Georgia 35 22.29%
Flordia 71 45.22%
Tennesse 4 2.55%
Alabama 1 0.64%
Mississippi 1 0.64%
Arkansas 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Atlanta Metro is 28 small counties - Georgia has very small counties comparatively...and the area isn't as large as many other cities (Houston, Dallas, etc).

Savannah is not nearly as large as Augusta and Columbus...so if you're trying to count Savannah as one of Georgia's main cities, you would need to count Augusta and Columbus as they are larger. So Georgia is a four-city state.
Oh yeah, forgot about Augusta. I didn't even know there was a Columbus in GA . I hear about Savannah a lot because of the port and history and what not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 07:40 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Oh yeah, forgot about Augusta. I didn't even know there was a Columbus in GA . I hear about Savannah a lot because of the port and history and what not.
Yeah, Savannah is more well-known than any of Georgia's other cities...there is also Macon and Athens, which are just a hair smaller than Savannah.

Columbus, GA...home of Fort Benning plus headquarters of Aflac, Synovus, TSYS, and Carmike Cinemas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus,_Georgia

Old 10-06-2009, 07:57 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I see what you're saying, but I'm just going by the original question. If for instance he said "which Southern state is the king of cities?" or something like that. Texas has huge cities and a good number of them, but the rural areas are also huge. So, I'm gonna turn to a reliable urbanization measure that I'm surprised no one else has brought up yet--population density.

Here's how the ones in the running stack up relative to the 50 states (persons/sq.mi.):

[8. Florida (right behind New York)] 338.4
14. Virginia 194.8
15. North Carolina 186.0
18. Georgia 164.8
28. Texas 91.3

I was actually surprised to see Texas that low. So, I would have to answer no to your question. As a reminder, the reason I chose NC over VA is because it's cities are more evenly distributed throughout the state, there's significantly more of them, and the population densities are practically the same, and I explained why I "disqualified" FL earlier. I might say Texas beats out Georgia though, since it's basically a two-city state (Atlanta and Savannah), and that 28-county (!) Metro Area in ATL seems exagerrated to me.
There has been a lot of talk about population density earlier on with regards to the entire state. Even though Texas has a low population density it is a very urban state, two examples of population density which I think show a need for more than one measurement is Alabama and South Carolina. South Carolina's population density is higher than Texas and Alabama's essentially ties with Texas.

Having a more uniform density across the state is definitely a good argument to be made, lots of the Texas counties in west Texas are losing a lot of people while the metros are growing rapidly which is skewing the density in Texas even more, however there is a much smaller rural population in Texas as a percentage of the entire state compared to other southern states.

Rural Population
Texas 17.5%
Alabama 44.6%
Georgia 28.4%
North Carolina 39.8%
Virginia 27%
Source

I guess we are taking two separate viewpoints, neither of which is wrong. Obviously if Texas were to slice off the pan handle and give it to Oklahoma then Texas would have a much higher density. I think I'm looking at it more as a person would see it eyes on the ground, what an individual would wake up and see every day in a more highly dense compact area like Houston versus Charlotte.

This has seemed like a long message which is just rambling. I guess it ultimately comes down to something much more complicated than we can discern here.

The pollster should have just included New Jersey that way we could all be in total agreement

Old 10-07-2009, 02:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,720,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityPerson09 View Post
There has been a lot of talk about population density earlier on with regards to the entire state. Even though Texas has a low population density it is a very urban state, two examples of population density which I think show a need for more than one measurement is Alabama and South Carolina. South Carolina's population density is higher than Texas and Alabama's essentially ties with Texas.

Having a more uniform density across the state is definitely a good argument to be made, lots of the Texas counties in west Texas are losing a lot of people while the metros are growing rapidly which is skewing the density in Texas even more, however there is a much smaller rural population in Texas as a percentage of the entire state compared to other southern states.

Rural Population
Texas 17.5%
Alabama 44.6%
Georgia 28.4%
North Carolina 39.8%
Virginia 27%
Source

I guess we are taking two separate viewpoints, neither of which is wrong. Obviously if Texas were to slice off the pan handle and give it to Oklahoma then Texas would have a much higher density. I think I'm looking at it more as a person would see it eyes on the ground, what an individual would wake up and see every day in a more highly dense compact area like Houston versus Charlotte.

This has seemed like a long message which is just rambling. I guess it ultimately comes down to something much more complicated than we can discern here.

The pollster should have just included New Jersey that way we could all be in total agreement
Yeah, I see your point. It all depends on the definition of "urban" and POV. haha NJ there definitey wouldn''t be any question about NJ.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:

Rural Population
Texas 17.5%
Alabama 44.6%
Georgia 28.4%
North Carolina 39.8%
Virginia 27%
Source

Not to complain, but the information in your source is 10 years old. I know that Georgia's population has grown by 1 million since then, and most of that growth has been in the Atlanta area. So those numbers have changed dramatically in 10 years.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:08 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
It really depends on what he/she meant by urban.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,927,598 times
Quote:

Rural Population
Texas 17.5%
Alabama 44.6%
Georgia 28.4%
North Carolina 39.8%
Virginia 27%
Source

I see New York is up there. Not surprising considering MOST of upstate NY is nothing but farms and open land.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:00 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not to complain, but the information in your source is 10 years old. I know that Georgia's population has grown by 1 million since then, and most of that growth has been in the Atlanta area. So those numbers have changed dramatically in 10 years.
I knew it was based on the 2000 census data but it is the most recent info I could find using the official data. There's no doubt that Georgia, Virginia and Texas have become more urban over the past decade.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I knew it was based on the 2000 census data but it is the most recent info I could find using the official data. There's no doubt that Georgia, Virginia and Texas have become more urban over the past decade.
2010 should bring lots of new discussion information for city-data.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:56 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Florida Is The Winner.......................

Florida is the winner and Texas is a also ran....and this is how
the cities are stacking up.......

Miami...Fort Lauderdale
Tampa .....St. Petersburg
Orlando....
Jacksonville....
At one point in time all six of these cities were Major League Sports
Cities....

Houston
Dallas...Fort Worth
San Antonio....
Austin.....
Only three Major League Sports Cities....

Being a Major League Sports City Is Not The Cure All For What It's
Takes To Be A Major American City...But It's One Of The Many Determining
Factors Of Many Factors......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City